Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mamiya Leaf Credo Special  (Read 5042 times)

sbernthal

Re: Mamiya Leaf Credo Special
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2014, 12:42:01 pm »

No, I'm quite sure it's not random.

The 120MF for instance, I've seen a few copies and the Mamiya was definite not as good as the Phase.

The 120AF is new, meaning it is from a time better practices are used in the factory. I guess if you got two new copies from the factory today, they would be similar, but most of the Mamiya D's were made a few years before the Phase lenses, and are not as good.

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2014, 12:46:37 pm »

No, I'm quite sure it's not random.

The 120MF for instance, I've seen a few copies and the Mamiya was definite not as good as the Phase.

The 120AF is new, meaning it is from a time better practices are used in the factory. I guess if you got two new copies from the factory today, they would be similar, but most of the Mamiya D's were made a few years before the Phase lenses, and are not as good.

It is quite possible - and likely - that practices/processes, and even raw materials - improve with a product line over time - that, I will agree with.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

tomholdsworth

• Tom Holdsworth Photography
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2014, 04:23:14 pm »

I'm a little late to the discussion (and probably too late to be helpful!), but I purchased the Credo 40 kit from Steve Hendrix and received it last week. Once I knock out a few assignments with it, I'll probably have more to say - but I shoot architecture for a living (have had a P45+ for the last year and a half, and an Aptus II-5 before that) and was looking for a back with a little more flexibility. Namely, the ability to shoot exteriors untethered without cursing at the display. Also, even though the Mamiya/Phase DF+ is the subject of a lot of criticism in various forums, having the ability to put my MFDB on an autofocus SLR is a novel concept for a guy who has shot with a V-interface back for the past five years. While I shoot primarily with an Arca Rm3di, I have firms who are beginning to request more "editorial" type shots along with the carefully constructed architectural images. Especially in the higher ed market, which is a large part of my business. Being able to move from tech camera to SLR without running a Nikon/Canon in addition is great. I feel like the current Credo 40 deal is an incredible value.

The ONLY thing that gives me pause is losing 10% of my frame to the crop sensor. I feel like I might be the only one out there wielding 33x44mm on buildings. Ideally I'd be enjoying the Credo 60, but all five of my lenses are Schneiders, the widest being the 24XL and the 35XL. The 24 won't cover full frame (indeed, just covers my P45+), and the 35 is a bit marginal for big sensors, anecdotally. And no good for the 80MP sensors, if I ever win the lottery. So in addition to the substantially higher cost of the 60MP back, I'd have to add in a Rodenstock 23 and 32 to replace my Schneiders prior to going full frame. I've been shooting for four years, so my budget is not comparable to some of the more experienced folks rattling around this forum. I can't sink all my resources into the MFDB, there's some lighting and grip stuff that also contribute a lot to how I work. So the cost delta of full frame isn't really worth it for me at the moment. I wish they put a 36x48 into a Credo or IQ. It's about the best chip size, IMHO.

I'm in the mid-Atlantic and the busy season hasn't really kicked off yet, but my limited experience with the Credo 40 thus far is a net positive. The display is excellent, the colors are great, the dynamic range is more than my P45+, and I did a full minute exposure with no noise. Which is about as much as I've ever needed. Tethering with USB also opens up that neat option I read about involving the Microsoft Surface tablet. And the DF+ is relatively easy to use for my purposes. I slapped the Credo on it today and photographed my P45+ (post in the For Sale forum - make me an offer  ;)) I took it out on the Arca for a small assignment at a high school on Friday, and I did find myself wishing for a 32HR at one point, but I think a few years with a crop sensor might be good for some compositional discipline. Unless I start shooting high rises, then Steve Hendrix can probably expect another big check from my bank.

In a month or so I plan on putting together a blog post with some images from the Credo, and how it is to live with. So far, I'm quite impressed.

Tom

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2014, 05:03:00 pm »

I can't speak to the Sk24, but the SK35 on the 60MP is great on center, as long as you have the CF installed.  You can also get about 7 to 8mm of horizontal shift before the magenta shift/color smearing will ruin the shift.  On rise and fall you can push it a bit more, this seems to be due to the layout of the Phase sensors, I would say around 9mm. 

The current Phase One/Capture One LCC correction on the 35SK is very good on these types of movements.  However if you are looking for the 80MP back in the future, then the 35SK is not as good a companion. 

Chris Barrett shots with the SK35 for architecture with the IQ260 and he might be a good person to ask for more detailed info.  My work is all landscape, outdoor. 

I agree the Rod 23 and 32 need a bit of a lottery to use and both are huge and heavy lenses, the 32 being larger and even heavier.  The 23 will limit you more with it's 70mm image circle at least with shifts or rise fall. 

Congrats on the new kit.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

pixjohn

« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2014, 05:20:03 pm »

I am also interested in seeing the results with the Credo 40, I am looking to upgrade my Aputs75 back. I like the look of the Aptus files, but my unit has been a nightmare to work with.

Any news of an H mount deal?

tomholdsworth

• Tom Holdsworth Photography
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2014, 05:58:05 pm »

Paul, the SK24 has an IC of 60mm, which will (barely) cover a 36x48 sensor with no shift. I think the Credo 40 may be able to eke out 4mm or so with it. But I bought the SK24 used a year ago for 1/3 the cost of the 23HR, and I wanted to continue to use it if possible - especially considering it's probably worth $1.50 in resale now as many people have gone full frame. I definitely agree with your thoughts on the SK35, which has been a great lens for my P45+ and I expected it would do pretty well with the 60MP sensor. I have a CF for both the 24 and 35, and use them all the time, as it really aids the LCC.

I think I'm set for a while, and will have to see where the MFDB market moves over the next couple of years before I start replacing my SK lenses for heavier, more expensive, more complex designs. Although I've heard very nice things about the 32HR.

Tom

calindustries

• http://www.craiglacourt.com
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2014, 06:32:25 pm »

I bought the credo 40 with H mount. I will be picking it up next week and in the meantime am playing with a loaner iq140 to get used to my new H4x. I was tempted to go the df+ but I feel more comfortable with the hassy lens line up for now (love the Schneider LS lenses but there just aren't the right ones for me for now)

Steven B

« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2014, 10:25:59 pm »

I'm a little late to the discussion (and probably too late to be helpful!), but I purchased the Credo 40 kit from Steve Hendrix and received it last week. Once I knock out a few assignments with it, I'll probably have more to say - but I shoot architecture for a living (have had a P45+ for the last year and a half, and an Aptus II-5 before that) and was looking for a back with a little more flexibility. Namely, the ability to shoot exteriors untethered without cursing at the display. Also, even though the Mamiya/Phase DF+ is the subject of a lot of criticism in various forums, having the ability to put my MFDB on an autofocus SLR is a novel concept for a guy who has shot with a V-interface back for the past five years. While I shoot primarily with an Arca Rm3di, I have firms who are beginning to request more "editorial" type shots along with the carefully constructed architectural images. Especially in the higher ed market, which is a large part of my business. Being able to move from tech camera to SLR without running a Nikon/Canon in addition is great. I feel like the current Credo 40 deal is an incredible value.

The ONLY thing that gives me pause is losing 10% of my frame to the crop sensor. I feel like I might be the only one out there wielding 33x44mm on buildings. Ideally I'd be enjoying the Credo 60, but all five of my lenses are Schneiders, the widest being the 24XL and the 35XL. The 24 won't cover full frame (indeed, just covers my P45+), and the 35 is a bit marginal for big sensors, anecdotally. And no good for the 80MP sensors, if I ever win the lottery. So in addition to the substantially higher cost of the 60MP back, I'd have to add in a Rodenstock 23 and 32 to replace my Schneiders prior to going full frame. I've been shooting for four years, so my budget is not comparable to some of the more experienced folks rattling around this forum. I can't sink all my resources into the MFDB, there's some lighting and grip stuff that also contribute a lot to how I work. So the cost delta of full frame isn't really worth it for me at the moment. I wish they put a 36x48 into a Credo or IQ. It's about the best chip size, IMHO.

I'm in the mid-Atlantic and the busy season hasn't really kicked off yet, but my limited experience with the Credo 40 thus far is a net positive. The display is excellent, the colors are great, the dynamic range is more than my P45+, and I did a full minute exposure with no noise. Which is about as much as I've ever needed. Tethering with USB also opens up that neat option I read about involving the Microsoft Surface tablet. And the DF+ is relatively easy to use for my purposes. I slapped the Credo on it today and photographed my P45+ (post in the For Sale forum - make me an offer  ;)) I took it out on the Arca for a small assignment at a high school on Friday, and I did find myself wishing for a 32HR at one point, but I think a few years with a crop sensor might be good for some compositional discipline. Unless I start shooting high rises, then Steve Hendrix can probably expect another big check from my bank.

In a month or so I plan on putting together a blog post with some images from the Credo, and how it is to live with. So far, I'm quite impressed.

Tom

Keep us updated for sure, definitely interested in how your gigs go with the set up. Thanks for sharing.

-Steven

synn

• My fine art portfolio
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2014, 10:28:13 pm »

I have this exact same kit and I am more than happy with its performance. If you would like to know anything specific, shoot me a question.
my portfolio: www.sandeepmurali.com
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up