Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Mamiya Leaf Credo Special  (Read 5043 times)

Steven B

Mamiya Leaf Credo Special
« on: March 27, 2014, 12:26:10 am »

Is anyone jumping on this sale? It sounds like a great way to get a new complete system for 13995. Mamiya DF+ body + Sekor LS 80mm 2.8 + Credo 40mp digiback. I'm wondering if anyone has some feedback. Still on the fence committing the big bucks, but this deal has seriously caught my eye and it's almost over already.  :(

Pics2

Re: Mamiya Leaf Credo Special
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 06:16:45 am »

This is the best deal I've seen in years. Credo backs are great. There is Live View, you can put it on tech and view cam. The body and the lens are worth half of this money when bought separately. It's so good deal that I'm confused - why are they doing this? I don't think the new IQ250 is that better. If I was in US I would buy this Credo immediately, since I need a back up solution for my IQ160.

pemihan

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 07:03:01 am »

There's probably a 50MP CMOS Credo in the pipeline so as they discontinued the IQ140 they might also do the same with the Credo 40.
Just speculating of course.. The deal is great value regardless..

Peter

It's so good deal that I'm confused - why are they doing this?

MrSmith

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 07:18:11 am »

i thought about it but decided to bide my time with an A7r which i am very happy with for my kind of work. i think the back itself is the best of the 40mp's but i'm not enamoured by the body. there were a few legacy lenses that i was interested in like the mamiya shift and the 1.9 portrait lens which also swayed my thinking.
 the H4D-40 and the 35-90 zoom was also an option and i prefer the body and lens compared to the phamiya but i'm a capture1 convert. i came to the conclusion that all the systems were flawed in some way and it really depends on the work you are doing.

JV

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 07:27:27 am »

i think the back itself is the best of the 40mp's but i'm not enamoured by the body.

It is too bad that they did not make the back available in the H mount at the same price as well...

$10K could have persuaded quite a few people with a Hasselblad H1/H2/H4X body.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 07:59:30 am by JV »

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2014, 09:10:44 am »

There's probably a 50MP CMOS Credo in the pipeline so as they discontinued the IQ140 they might also do the same with the Credo 40.
Just speculating of course.. The deal is great value regardless..

Peter

Hi Peter -

Just as an aside, the IQ140 is a current product and has not been discontinued, at least not formally or officially.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration

Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

pemihan

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2014, 09:18:42 am »

Hi Steve,

My mistake then, I thought that was the case. I think I read it somewhere, but maybe that was also just speculation ;-)

Peter

Hi Peter -

Just as an aside, the IQ140 is a current product and has not been discontinued, at least not formally or officially.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration

Steven B

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2014, 10:38:18 am »

It's so good deal that I'm confused - why are they doing this?

Same here... I'm hoping I can get this price a few months down the road when I have the savings to afford it...

lance_schad

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2014, 12:49:05 pm »

Steven
We have just added the ability to purchase any of our systems with the 'Bill Me Later' feature that includes one of the following promotions when you make a qualifying purchase:
- No Payments + No Interest if paid in full in 6 or 9 months
- No Interest if paid in full in 6, 12, or 18 months (with required minimum monthly payments)
This has worked well for some of our clients that wanted to take advantage of the Credo 40 promotion but did not have all the money today.

Please contact us @ Digital Transitions for additional details.

Lance
LANCE SCHAD - DIGITAL TRANSITIONS

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2014, 12:52:45 pm »

Hi Steve,

My mistake then, I thought that was the case. I think I read it somewhere, but maybe that was also just speculation ;-)

Peter

It's an easy mistake to make as when you view the products on the Phase One site, immediately below is the "pre-owned" tab.  I also thought the IQ 1st gen were no longer sold as new. 

http://www.phaseone.com/en/Camera-Systems/IQ-Series.aspx

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

sbernthal

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2014, 02:01:59 pm »

It's a very good deal - 40mp backs are hard to sell at high prices, since there are a few DSLRs at that resolution already.

Credo is much nicer than Aptus - however note that it gathers much more sensor dust. With Aptus you can go months without cleaning, with Credo I need to clean every couple of days. I would say an electric design bug probably shared with IQ. Credo colors are more accurate but less punchy. Credo is 1/3 stop more light sensitive on same ISO, and slightly less noisy.

DF+ is supposed to have much better MTBF, I could not find many other differences to DF (easier live view, but live view works well only under very strong light).

80LS I found the same quality as 80D, I didn't check wide open.

If you really hate dust, you might want to think about a used Aptus for a lot less.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 02:04:51 pm by sbernthal »

Pics2

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2014, 02:46:43 pm »

It's an easy mistake to make as when you view the products on the Phase One site, immediately below is the "pre-owned" tab.  I also thought the IQ 1st gen were no longer sold as new. 

http://www.phaseone.com/en/Camera-Systems/IQ-Series.aspx

Paul
https://www.digitalstore.at/foto/dig-mf/kam_u_rueckteile/?m=PHASE%20ONE
There are even P series here ???. But, maybe they haven't updated their website yet.

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2014, 03:20:42 pm »

The only thing which costs money in the backs is the sensor and the R&D.
Maybe Phase could just simplify their product range.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Steve Hendrix

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2014, 04:01:08 pm »

It's a very good deal - 40mp backs are hard to sell at high prices, since there are a few DSLRs at that resolution already.

Credo is much nicer than Aptus - however note that it gathers much more sensor dust. With Aptus you can go months without cleaning, with Credo I need to clean every couple of days. I would say an electric design bug probably shared with IQ. Credo colors are more accurate but less punchy. Credo is 1/3 stop more light sensitive on same ISO, and slightly less noisy.

DF+ is supposed to have much better MTBF, I could not find many other differences to DF (easier live view, but live view works well only under very strong light).

80LS I found the same quality as 80D, I didn't check wide open.

If you really hate dust, you might want to think about a used Aptus for a lot less.

The 80LS is slightly sharper wide open and exhibits less color artifacting than the 80 D.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration

sbernthal

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2014, 04:03:05 pm »

The 80LS is slightly sharper wide open and exhibits less color artifacting than the 80 D.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration

If you could expand on color artifacting I would be very interested to know.

Steve Hendrix

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2014, 05:34:44 pm »

If you could expand on color artifacting I would be very interested to know.

Actually I've viewed some tests this week and have found results that counter this to some degree, to the point that the resolution differences between the 2 lenses to be so close as to be negligible (slight variation lens to lens may have accounted for results of a past test we did). Same with color artifacting - which isn't exactly what I meant - what I meant was more contrast, which resulted in a deeper black on the Schneider version. Didn't really see that on the tests we did this week.

Certainly compared to the legacy 80mm  I would stand by that assessment, and add that chromatic aberrations shot at wide apertures are far more likely. But for the Schneider LS and the D, based on the most recent tests, I would say they are close to even, and slight sample variation (or even condition of a lens) might account for any noticeable differences.

sbernthal

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2014, 05:45:44 pm »

In my quite the extensive testing, I found more difference between Mamiya 80D and Phase 80D, than between Phase and Schneider. The non D of course is very far behind.

Steve Hendrix

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2014, 12:20:19 pm »

In my quite the extensive testing, I found more difference between Mamiya 80D and Phase 80D, than between Phase and Schneider. The non D of course is very far behind.

Can you expand on "quite extensive" please? Do you mean much time and in depth analysis on those specific lenses or do you mean that, but also over many, many copies of those lenses?

Thanks,
Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration

sbernthal

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2014, 12:26:42 pm »

Not many many copies of course, but I've had a few pairs of Mamiya D and Phase D that I could compare.
I compare only in the parameters that are relevant to me.
Schneider I've seen only one copy, but could find almost no difference at all in the results.
With Mamiya vs. Phase I've had at least three opportunities, and I saw similar differences in contrast and sharpness in all cases.
That of course doesn't apply to 120AF which is a new lens so also the Mamiya copies are good.
In extensive I meant that I was deliberate and careful in testing what I had in hand.

Steve Hendrix

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2014, 12:36:16 pm »

Not many many copies of course, but I've had a few pairs of Mamiya D and Phase D that I could compare.
I compare only in the parameters that are relevant to me.
Schneider I've seen only one copy, but could find almost no difference at all in the results.
With Mamiya vs. Phase I've had at least three opportunities, and I saw similar differences in contrast and sharpness in all cases.
That of course doesn't apply to 120AF which is a new lens so also the Mamiya copies are good.
In extensive I meant that I was deliberate and careful in testing what I had in hand.

I would chalk it up to some sample variation - the 80mm and 120mm af lenses are both available in Mamiya and Phase One badging, so don't know why the 120 would be more consistent between the two just because it is a newer lens.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up