Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LR5 Update Question  (Read 3772 times)

James R

LR5 Update Question
« on: March 26, 2014, 10:51:48 am »

I have the Nikon D4s and Fuji X-T1, both are not supported by LR5 v5.3.  Currently I'm processing by shooting jpg, or converting raw files to dng's, or using PS CC. Curious whether LR5 v5.3 be updated to v5.4, or is LR6 around the corner and future LR5 updates will not be forth coming?  This has been speculated on some other sites.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: LR5 Update Question
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 02:09:35 pm »

Be patient, that's all I'll say  ;D

It's the price we pay buying new cameras who's native raw formats are really no different from the last, but built on purpose to be so. As such, you play the waiting game.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

James R

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 02:30:01 pm »

The patience of Job.

One Frame at a Time

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2014, 01:13:49 am »

Be patient, that's all I'll say  ;D

It's the price we pay buying new cameras who's native raw formats are really no different from the last, but built on purpose to be so. As such, you play the waiting game.

Is there some reason the update to LR is lagging behind DNG and Bridge when it comes to recognizing XT1 files??  It's terribly frustrating and feels like an imposition on Lightroom users.

Add to this - that there is a simple third party hack floating around, that apparently fools LR into thinking XT1 files are XE2 files.
Why is Adobe forcing us to adopt hacks -especially when their other RAW engines were updated a while back???

Bryan Conner

• My Flickr page
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2014, 01:35:57 am »

Is there some reason the update to LR is lagging behind DNG and Bridge when it comes to recognizing XT1 files??  It's terribly frustrating and feels like an imposition on Lightroom users.

Add to this - that there is a simple third party hack floating around, that apparently fools LR into thinking XT1 files are XE2 files.
Why is Adobe forcing us to adopt hacks -especially when their other RAW engines were updated a while back???

You should be asking your camera manufacturer why they are forcing you to adopt a hack.  Adobe did not change the raw file that the camera produces....Adobe did not change Lightroom to where it would not work any longer....the camera manufacturers are the ones that make the changes that are sometimes only a change in the camera model number in the raw file info.  Camera manufacturers are the ones that refuse to use an open source raw format.  They are forcing everyone to wait....not Adobe.

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2014, 02:54:18 am »

Is there some reason the update to LR is lagging behind DNG and Bridge when it comes to recognizing XT1 files??

Why, yes...there is...are you personally entitled to the answer?

Well, no...use the DNG Converter 8.4RC until LR 5.4 catches up.

That's the best answer...and if you are foolish enough to use a hack, good luck with that (and don't mention it when asking for help in the future). "Hacks" are not really a useful alternative...

ario

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2014, 03:23:29 am »

Hacking (just changing the camera model) a copy of the raw file is not particularly harmful. Converting to DNG is a viable alternative only if one wants to use Adobe products. Capture One and and Aperture, just to make some example are not very friendly with converted DNG files.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 03:25:17 am by ario »

jed best

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2014, 08:17:18 am »

The latest DNG rc converter does in fact,  using Nikon D4S files, create a DNG file that C1 recognizes.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2014, 01:10:02 pm »

C1 always does a poor job of processing DNGs, Aperture handles them well, but these apps are irrelevant here - the OP wants to use Adobe products and that's possible by using DNGs.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 01:11:47 pm by john beardsworth »

jed best

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2014, 07:52:38 pm »

John is far more knowledgeable than I on C1 and DNG. I do know that DXO now supports Nikon D4S and if you are on a Ma, so does Iridient Developer, an app that Andrew Rodney likes.

One Frame at a Time

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2014, 09:36:52 pm »

Jeff, no disrespect was intended in my post.  You, Michael and a host of others here have assisted my photography efforts the past decade(?) to no end. 
I cannot express to you how appreciative I am that this site, the forum, and you guys are here.

Before I picked up with Fujifilm I owned several Sony NEX cameras as they were released.  I may be wrong, but I cannot remember waiting too long for Adobe to have a RC released for LR.
DNG, PhotoShop and LR (via the XE-2 engine), all currently work on the XT1. Adobe does owe us collectively (not me personally) an explanation for the delay,
or at least some idea when we can expect it?

For the record: I'm working with DNG and its caused me to waste tons of time altering my workflow. Because I'm dumb - doing double conversions, trying to get things sorted
and for an encore - deleting the original RAWs permanently - thinking the DNG was as good as the original if lossy was not selected. 
For now, I have not altered 5.3.  My stupidity does know some bounds... I'm aware of the risks of installing workarounds, as they may do much more than they represent.

I can appreciate the burden that these proprietary RAW schemes place on Adobe (made a sympathetic comment in the fuji forum a while ago) and wish that there was some unified standard that all camera mfrs would adopt.  It would help us all to no end.  But having some products working and others not isn't cool.

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2014, 12:26:42 am »

Adobe does owe us collectively (not me personally) an explanation for the delay, or at least some idea when we can expect it?

No, actually, they don't. Just be clear, Adobe is under no obligations to do public betas (nor explain why one product is and another one isn't released). Adobe doesn't talk about unreleased products so they are not going to talk about an unreleased LR 5.4RC. The fact that at this time there is no LR RC 5.4 simply means it's not ready in the same time frame that ACR 8.4 was.

I suspect ACR 8.4 and KR 5.4 will end up being released as GM the same time, but then again, it might not.

LR 5.4 will come when Adobe is ready...their only commitment is to release 3-4 updates for new cameras and bug fixes. I think you need to manage your expectations, ya know?
Pages: [1]   Go Up