Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Red River Aurora Natural vs Canson/Hahnemuhle Rag  (Read 3030 times)

stump4545

Red River Aurora Natural vs Canson/Hahnemuhle Rag
« on: March 24, 2014, 08:39:57 pm »

I have been loving the results I have been getting with Red River Aurora Art Natural paper but was wondering if anyone here has had experience with this paper longterm?

Would you consider the Red River Aurora a second tier paper when compared to Canson Photo Rag or Hamm Photo rag?

thank you

hugowolf

Re: Red River Aurora Natural vs Canson/Hahnemuhle Rag
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 10:02:56 pm »

Would you consider the Red River Aurora a second tier paper when compared to Canson Photo Rag or Hamm Photo rag?

Yes.

It hasn't got the weight for larger prints. It has curling issues. The gamut isn’t impressive and it is a bit warmer than Canson Rag Photographique. You can’t really compare it to the Hahnemühle Photo Rag, because the Hahnemühle paper isn’t ‘natural’ – it has some OBA content, not much, but some.

Brian A

stump4545

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 10:56:18 pm »

Thanks for the reply.

What do you consider "larger prints"?

Also, what do you think about Red River Aurora for strictly B+W, would the gamut still be an issue?

hugowolf

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 11:03:21 am »

What do you consider "larger prints"?

Well that really depends on how they are to be mounted. But I would consider the Aurora too thin for floating above 8" x 10", for for edge under matte, perhaps 12" x 18". Lighter paper can go larger, but not with a tendency to recurl.

Also, what do you think about Red River Aurora for strictly B+W, would the gamut still be an issue?

I tested it against what I was using at the time, which was Hahnemühle Photo Rag 308. I have been using Canson Rag Photographique 310 for some time now - the Hahnemühle paper has some curling issues of its own. I do not consider papers separately for color vs black and while.

The Canson paper lies flat, is whiter, comes in 310, 210, and 220 C2S, and has better color separation in the dark greens.

But paper selection is very much a personal thing. The only way to know is to buy sample packs and try them yourself.

Brian A

stump4545

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 12:45:18 pm »

Thank you Brian!

Pages: [1]   Go Up