Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 100mm big enough for square filters on HC24mm with H4D-50?  (Read 2594 times)

Joe Towner

100mm big enough for square filters on HC24mm with H4D-50?
« on: March 24, 2014, 05:40:18 pm »

I'm trying to figure out if a 100mm kit is going to be wide enough for the widest of lenses.  I am thinking of the Hitech holder with Lee among other filters.  But I would rather not purchase this stuff, to turn around have have to redo it with a 135mm/150mm size due to how wide the 24mm is.  Can I get away with doing the filters wide when I'm shooting 24mm but go tall when shooting narrow?
t: @PNWMF

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
Re: 100mm big enough for square filters on HC24mm with H4D-50?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 02:01:46 am »

The majority of HC lenses including the HCD24 are 95mm filter thread so I doubt if a 100mm square filter further away from the lens would be big enough.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

Enda Cavanagh

• http://www.endacavanagh.com
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 02:45:23 pm »

The majority of HC lenses including the HCD24 are 95mm filter thread so I doubt if a 100mm square filter further away from the lens would be big enough.

+1

Richard Morwood

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 05:06:28 pm »

I don't use the 24 but I do use the 28 and  35-90 zoom both with 95mm filter thread. The lee system for 100mm filters does vignette on the 24 and wide end of the zoom, even if only one slot is fitted to the holder. I very often hold the filter against the front of the lens which works well but is fiddily, or occasionally I use blutac to hold it where I want it.  Neither is ideal but doesn't vignette. I have some 150mm filters for the Nikon 14-24 lens but haven't got the necessary fittings for the HC lenses. Don't know if these exist yet but may be worth looking into (and then through!)
Richard

jecxz

• http://www.jecxz.com
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 07:09:55 pm »

Joe, as others have said the Lee 100mm won't work on the 24mm. I had to go to Hitech to work with the 24mm and their filter holder works with the accessory hood that came with the HC24. Unfortunately I now carry two filter systems around because I have many Lee filters.

Kind regards,
Derek Jecxz
www.jecxz.com

I'm trying to figure out if a 100mm kit is going to be wide enough for the widest of lenses.  I am thinking of the Hitech holder with Lee among other filters.  But I would rather not purchase this stuff, to turn around have have to redo it with a 135mm/150mm size due to how wide the 24mm is.  Can I get away with doing the filters wide when I'm shooting 24mm but go tall when shooting narrow?

Joe Towner

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 02:40:28 am »

Thanks everyone.  Yea, trying to prevent the duplicate purchases later on, but since everything for the Hitech Lucroit seems to start at $200 and go up (ring, holder, filters) I may not have a choice.  I find it funny how many places make a 100mm, but the next size up seems to be anywhere from 130mm Cokin, 150mm Lee, to a 165mm Hitech.  And of course the vendor sites have no idea who Hasselblad is.

Joe Towner

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2014, 09:10:02 pm »

Had the fun of shooting last weekend with the HCD 24mm - yea, I get nice little curves in the corners.  Damn it's wide - like too wide to be an all day lens, but lots of fun anyways :)  I had to get the Lee Wide angle hood, and thus their 95mm ring (so that's 95mm in Hitech and Lee so far).  The adapter ring wasn't making sense during this chat, but having seen it (think lens hood with a 105mm thread), I'm half tempted to order the 105mm Lee FK holder to see if the internal diameter is wide enough to shoot through.

The reason for the hood is shooting out a highrise still under construction, needing to take view shots, can't carry around enough black out material to cut reflections.
Pages: [1]   Go Up