Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Does this work?  (Read 1199 times)

Richard Pearlman

Does this work?
« on: March 24, 2014, 09:00:59 am »

As I was walking a local nature trail yesterday afternoon, I came across this scene, and I found the way the light fell on the trees and path ahead of me to be very interesting. My goal in this shot, as far composition is concerned, was to use use the shadows in the foreground and path to draw the viewer into the image. I also used the vertical format to emphasize the height of the trees. Despite my efforts, I feel like this shot doesn't work. Does it work? I don't know. Your opinions would be much appreciated.

louoates

• Lou Oates Photography
Re: Does this work?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 10:14:45 am »

I'm not sure what you can do with this one. It's a very common point of view and composition. If I had to monkey with it, I'd see if a high contrast B&W would add some drama and accentuate the brightness and darkness. The color seems to get in the way.

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 12:00:27 pm »

Reviewing the last images you posted,
it seems you are after a certain light,
maybe not so much after a certain subject.

Maybe it may help if you think a little deeper about what is really the point that
interests you in the images to advance with that question.

Sometimes we are on a search and do not really know what we search for or want,
at least I know this from my own experience - looking back to the last images sometimes can help then.

Cheers
~Chris

Richard Pearlman

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 01:01:22 pm »

Chris, I think I get what you're saying. The light is what interested me in this shot. However, in this image, the light is not the center of interest. The chosen framing and subject do little to enhance the light. In fact, much of the shot is in shadow. Since I was truly after the light and not really the forest, I should have focused on the light in the foreground or in one of the trees. Thank you for your insight. I originally wasn't going to post this image, but I'm glad I did because I have learned something from it.

Iluvmycam

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 07:06:11 pm »

It is Ok. The tree tops are kind of freaked out. Different.

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2014, 07:14:39 pm »

Chris, I think I get what you're saying. The light is what interested me in this shot. However, in this image, the light is not the center of interest. The chosen framing and subject do little to enhance the light. In fact, much of the shot is in shadow. Since I was truly after the light and not really the forest, I should have focused on the light in the foreground or in one of the trees. Thank you for your insight. I originally wasn't going to post this image, but I'm glad I did because I have learned something from it.

I'm glad I could help.
Cheers
~Chris
Pages: [1]   Go Up