Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Acccess Scsi -> firewire -> TB adapter from VM?  (Read 3663 times)

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Acccess Scsi -> firewire -> TB adapter from VM?
« on: March 23, 2014, 06:52:00 pm »

Team,

I am trying to see whether I could still run my old Imacon Precision III SCSI LF scanner on my new Mac Pro 2013.

So far, I have:
- a SCSI to Firewire adapter with the right firmware. This part is ok as it worked fine on my old Mac Pro running 10.6.8,
- an Apple Firewire to Thunderbolt adapter. This seems to be fine also, since I can see the firewire -> SCSI adapter in 10.9.2 on the new mac pro host in the list of connected Firewire devices,
- the latest version of VM Ware Fusion virtualizing an instance of OSX 10.6.8 server,
- version 4.04 of Flexcolor installed in the virtualized 10.6.8 server.

The only thing not working is that I cannot see any connected Firewire device in the virtualized 10.6.8.

VM Ware Fusion doesn't appear to see the Firewire device as it does't list it in among the devices to which the vitualized OSX could connect.

I have tried rebooting pretty much everything. The mac pro 2013 doesn't complete its boot sequence with the firewire to TB adapter connected with the scanner ON so the best I can do is:
- boot mac pro 2013,
- turn scanner on,
- boot virtualized 10.6.8

Even that doesn't seem to cut it.

Any idea how I could fix this?

Thank you.

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 07:01:08 pm by BernardLanguillier »

BernardLanguillier

Re: Acccess Scsi -> firewire -> TB adapter from VM?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 01:01:29 am »

It seems that VM Ware Fusion simply doesn't support non storage Firewire devices...  :-[

Going back to the originial question, has anyone found a way to connect a SCSI device to a TB equipped Mac?

I guess that the Sonnet Express SE II/OWC Mercury Elios 2 are potential candidtes to host a SCSI PCIe card, but none are listed in their supported PCIe devices and I could not find any reference on the web to a successul pairing.

Has someone any visibility on this including what SCSI card would work with an Imacon Precision III?

Thanks.

Cheers,
Bernard

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 05:24:00 pm »

Sounds like another case of Apple not supporting legacy devices and this wouldn't be the first time this has happened.  Do you still have the old Mac Pro?  If so, the easiest solution would be to use it for this one purpose.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 06:15:23 pm »

Sounds like another case of Apple not supporting legacy devices and this wouldn't be the first time this has happened.  Do you still have the old Mac Pro?  If so, the easiest solution would be to use it for this one purpose.

No, the old Mac Pro had somehow become unstable and was taking too much space...

I could locate an old macbook pro.

Cheers,
Bernard

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 05:24:14 pm »

I got an answer from OWC, they don't know any SCSI card compatible with the Elios 2. I have to say that I am amazed by their answer as I expect SCSI cards to be one of the main usage of TB PCIe adapters.

It is starting to look like there simply no way to connect an Imacon precision III to the new Mac Pro 2013.

Cheers,
Bernard
Pages: [1]   Go Up