Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to differentiate Archival Grade, Archival and non- archival canvas  (Read 9802 times)

Amit

Hi,

Though this question might sound naive, but i am seriously concerned about the different terms being used by vendors(online/offline).

The terms archival canvas, archival grade canvas and non-archival canvas are so commonly used that it becomes confusing about the differentiator factor.

Also,
1. Canvas print lasts 100 years, is that real?
2. Do non-archival canvas always fade? if not, which one?
3. and, if a non-archival canvas is coated properly, does it still fade??

Please share your views, this has become a very complex topic because vendors actually play a lot around these terms.

Geraldo Garcia

• Personal blog

"Archival" is not a technical term and does not have a rigid definition. One may consider a material made to last 50 years as "archival" while other may say it must last 120 years.
The ratings of image permanence that we see advertised by the manufacturers or on sites as http://www.wilhelm-research.com/ or http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com/ are a important factor to help us evaluate the expected longevity of a print, but they tell only part of the story. Image permanence tests focus on fading due to exposure to visible light, UV rays and ozone, they tell you nothing about the longevity of the substrate (paper/canvas). For instance, one paper rated as "200 years" of permanence may crumble to dust in 80 years due to deterioration of the substrate an no permanence test will tell you that.

What we expect when someone says something is "archival" is that it is made to "last long" and does not contain any material that is known for accelerated deterioration. Only real time proof can tell you more than that and, even so, we must always remember that the conditions of display/storage/care play a huge part on the longevity on anything.

Good coating tend enhance canvas longevity by being a physical barrier and by blocking some of the UV rays, but everything fades and deteriorates eventually.

John Nollendorfs

One of the biggest concerns with canvas prints is not how long the printing will last, but will the gesso layer last without cracking. In my early use of various canvas', water-based gesso seemed to exhibit cracking within a couple of years. I have been using IJ's water resistant artist canvas for five years now without any evidence of cracking.

Amit

John,

I completely agree with you that cracking is a problem. I have got in touch with some companies which use Hot-Vaccum Press lamination. THis lamination prevents cracking but I am not sure whether it also affects the life of the print.

Geraldo, Completely agreed with your points. what do say if we properly coat a non-archival canvas print, can we expect no fading for no changes for 40-50 year? (though 40-50 is probably my over optimistic number).
Also, do we have any parameters to say that the print quality of the archival is also better than non-archival canvas?

Geraldo Garcia

• Personal blog

Geraldo, Completely agreed with your points. what do say if we properly coat a non-archival canvas print, can we expect no fading for no changes for 40-50 year? (though 40-50 is probably my over optimistic number).

Amit,

Impossible to say for sure, it may or it may not. Surely it should last longer than the same uncoated canvas, but if the manufacturer calls it "non-archival" I would not bet on its survival for half a century. It can even pass on accelerated fading tests, but flake and tear due to aging in a decade or two.

Also, do we have any parameters to say that the print quality of the archival is also better than non-archival canvas?

Not at all. Sometimes the opposite is true: A lot of "non-archival" media have outstanding image quality exactly because they focus on image quality and "pop" factor instead of longevity.

Best regards.

MHMG

Image permanence tests focus on fading due to exposure to visible light, UV rays and ozone, they tell you nothing about the longevity of the substrate (paper/canvas). For instance, one paper rated as "200 years" of permanence may crumble to dust in 80 years due to deterioration of the substrate an no permanence test will tell you that.

Not even the cheapest acid-filled lignin filled newspaper pulp will crumble to dust in 80 years. Brittle, yes, but dust, no.  Thermal aging tests and cyclical humidity tests do give insight as to physical properties deterioration over time, but those types of tests are different than light fastness tests, and few ever get reported.

That said, one does need to differentiate what various accelerated test methods tell you about image fade versus physical substrate fragility over time.

cheers,
Mark
http:/www.aardenburg-imaging.com

Geraldo Garcia

• Personal blog

Not even the cheapest acid-filled lignin filled newspaper pulp will crumble to dust in 80 years. Brittle, yes, but dust, no.
Ok, Mark... I exaggerated a bit to make the point ;D. But the truth remains: A paper with a good rating on an accelerated fading test may fiscally deteriorate, in real life, before the fading occurs.
Off course you are right when you say:
That said, one does need to differentiate what various accelerated test methods tell you about image fade versus physical substrate fragility over time.

Best regards.
Pages: [1]   Go Up