Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Quadtone  (Read 2064 times)

lumines

Quadtone
« on: March 22, 2014, 03:49:52 am »

Quadtone Rip,

Is software a good bw editing tool (investment) if some printers (eg. outsource) don't use Quadtone in their printing process? Rather they use grayscale Photoshop to print bw, including their Piezography products.

If you edit, save bw file, should the printer install Quadtone in order to benefit, get maximum visual proof product. Or will it matter much, if working more from the proofed print. (not so much monitor)

What particular visual apsects will you gain when using quadtone rip software? (compared with just manipulating and maximizing tonal range curves from other software)

Some Guy

Re: Quadtone
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2014, 12:00:38 pm »

Try the free trial and see if it suits you.  If it does, then pay.

I am running Windows 8.1 and the software crashed a lot on me.  Some Error 32 or something, plus it left residual programs running in the background when it did crash.  Seems it is more suited to Apple OS.  Roy said the guy who did it for Windows 98 (XP?) way back when and he has left so Roy is concentrating on it more for the Apple OS.

I did find it not to produce a sharp image though compared to Qimage running Windows when it did work.  Might be ink bleed causing it since you can literally flood a paper with ink using it.

There is a Yahoo Group that is devoted to it too.

Imho, of course.

SG

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2014, 12:04:11 pm »

I've used it to make ABW profiles for my Epson 3880 printer and have had no problems.  I print through the normal Lightroom pipeline on Windows 7

Herbc

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2014, 12:10:47 pm »

I have used it for years on a Mac, never any problems.  Dunno about pc's.

Joe S

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2014, 10:54:18 pm »

Works great with Windows 7.   You can get pretty geeky or just use the canned profiles.   Nice black and white with less color inks used than printing with ABW.    Even Schewe  likes it!

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2014, 11:19:37 pm »

Even Schewe  likes it!

Just to be clear, if you are interested in getting the most out of a monochromatic workflow that requires very subtle color toning of B&W images, I think Roy's Quadtone RIP is a really useful tool. I tend to print out in the Epson A B&W Mode driver mostly because I'm usually interested in neutral/slightly warm B&W prints. Note that the A B&W Mode can NOT do split-tone while the Quadtone RIP can...very nicely subtly BTW...

The main reason I like Roy's Quadtone RIP is that it's a photographer driven effort that excels in the finer points of B&W printing–if that's what you are into. It's also the best workflow in you want to use Jon Cone's special B&W ink sets...which I personally don't do (but still appreciate).

I never hard an issue printing out to the Quadtone RIP driver once I learned how to set it up...the toning curves and ink setup is a bit of a chore to set up, but once done, it's pretty easy. Note: my experience is all on Mac 10.6.8-10.8.5 (I don't to Mavericks yet).

Joe S

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2014, 01:38:32 am »

I tend to print out in the Epson A B&W Mode driver mostly because I'm usually interested in neutral/slightly warm B&W prints.

Why not use QTR which also allows for a blend from cool to warm?

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2014, 01:43:28 am »

Why not use QTR which also allows for a blend from cool to warm?

Because I generally don't need/want a split tone...I can get a decent neutral or slightly warm from Epson...if I needed/wanted a split tone I could print out in an ICC based workflow. But if you want to go down a more refined workflow, the QuadTone Rip is the way to go.
Pages: [1]   Go Up