Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sony A7 and A7R battery life  (Read 7167 times)

Jason Denning

• http://www.jasondenning.co.uk
Sony A7 and A7R battery life
« on: March 22, 2014, 03:34:22 am »

I read alot of people complaining about battery life on the A7 and A7r, up until now I had always just thought it's the world smallest mirrorless camera and trade offs have to be made so just buy an extra battery and shut up, but yesterday I did a real test studio shoot sending pictures to an ipad over wifi, the camera was on most of the time all morning for 4 hours, I took 410 shots and still had 20% left.
To me that's pretty impressive for these tiny batteries with a camera in Live view mode and sending pictures over wifi.

So now it makes me wonder what all the complainers are doing to get such crappy battery life, what are your experiences?
It seems obvious to me we can't expect the same battery life as a DSLR that isn't in Live view all the time and has a bigger battery.

Jason

« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 03:37:23 am by Jason Denning »

MrSmith

Re: Sony A7 and A7R battery life
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2014, 05:46:57 am »

First live shoot yesterday and I now think I need more than 3 batteries. Was using a metabones/canon 100 IS macro and the image stabiliser eats the battery. I turned the camera off in between shots wrapped at 2pm and had used 1 and 3/4 batteries. But they are small and live view/screen is on all the time so it's to be expected.

Telecaster

Re: Sony A7 and A7R battery life
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2014, 02:01:07 pm »

Battery life differs a lot depending on how you're using a camera. A couple days ago I shot an 800 frame time-lapse sequence with my Oly E-M1 between 6:00 & 7:20 am with the temp ranging from 6 to 9° F. The battery lasted another 40–50 shots beyond that later the same day (with temps above 60° F). But I've never got anything close to 850 shots out of an E-M1 battery with more conventional (that is, more intermittent) use.

My A7r eats batteries with enthusiasm in normal use. My solution is just to carry more batteries!

-Dave-
Pages: [1]   Go Up