Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Backup software  (Read 3343 times)

huguito

Backup software
« on: March 20, 2014, 11:13:52 pm »

I am currently using SyncToy, its free, does the job, but is getting very slow as I am adding many large files, some of those pictures are over a gigabite.

Any of you guys and girls can recommend other backup software free or not too expensive?

Thanks

Hugo

MarkH2

• Mark Henning Photos
Re: Backup software
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 12:51:15 am »

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 04:56:09 am »

Any of you guys and girls can recommend other backup software free or not too expensive?

Hi Hugo,

SyncBackFree is serious free software, and offers the possibility to upgrade to a paid version for even more capabilities (FTP and Cloud and better compression and more control). Depending on how you set things up, it can also take it's time to complete a job, but I think that's no different for other applications. For instance, bit-by-bit verification after transfer just takes time.

Other, simpler, free, applications are FreeFileSync and Allway Sync, but they offer much less control compared to SyncBack.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Jason DiMichele

• Jason DiMichele - Fine Art Photographer and Printer
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 06:29:18 am »

Hi Hugo,

SyncBackFree is serious free software, and offers the possibility to upgrade to a paid version for even more capabilities (FTP and Cloud and better compression and more control). Depending on how you set things up, it can also take it's time to complete a job, but I think that's no different for other applications. For instance, bit-by-bit verification after transfer just takes time.

Cheers,
Bart

+1 for SyncBack. I use Pro but the Free version is very good!

Cheers,
Jay
Jason DiMichele
Fine Art Photographer an

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2014, 07:52:33 am »

I am currently using SyncToy, its free, does the job, but is getting very slow as I am adding many large files, some of those pictures are over a gigabite.

Thanks

Hugo

The most appropriate software to use depends on what your operating system is and what you wish to achieve. You have stated neither, so the advice you are getting is very general. That's fine as far as it goes, but does it go far enough for you?
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Vladimirovich

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2014, 09:34:14 am »

Thanks

Hugo

http://www.code42.com/crashplan = does backup to NAS, local computer storage or to remote computers for free ( on site / off site ) or to their cloud storage for small rate... they are in business for many years, their B2C business (for individual users) in just a side of mostly B2B operations for big clients (w/ enterprise amount of data)... multiplatform (Win/Mac).
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 09:36:39 am by Vladimirovich »

mouse

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2014, 03:24:19 pm »

Thanks

Hugo

My guess is that the software you use for backup has minimal impact on the speed of the operation.  See Mark Segal's post.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2014, 04:26:14 pm »

Second Copy.  http://www.secondcopy.com/

I use it but had to pay for it.  Who do you know?  :)

huguito

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2014, 06:08:15 pm »

Thanks very much, I will check them up
Hugo

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2014, 01:41:19 pm »

As Mark Segal points out, choosing the right back-up application depends on the particulars of your computing environment and the goals of your back-up strategy, and I would add that another factor to consider is your own software skills.  If you are familiar with simple scripting techniques, or are willing to invest a little time in learning them, a commercial product or even a free one with a graphical user agent may not be the best choice—again, of course, depending on what you want to accomplish.

Many of the commercial products I've tried over the years (both in managing an enterprise IT infrastructure as well as running a fairly extensive home network) appear to be derivatives of open-source software, often based on standard UNIX/Linux utilities which run pretty much unaltered on Apple's OS X or have been ported to Microsoft Windows.  The commercial products are sometimes easier to use—in many cases simply because the vendor has pasted a graphical front-end on top of what was natively a command-line program—but they're not necessarily more robust.  In fact, they may be less so because (1) bugs in open-source software that is still being actively maintained are often fixed faster than those in commercial products and (2) the standard UNIX/Linux utilities tend to be remarkably reliable, even after porting to MS Windows.

Other than ease-of-use, it seems to me that an essential attribute to consider is how much data integrity-checking you require.  The expensive enterprise back-up software products I used to license verified every file after it was written to the back-up device.  Several different techniques can be used to accomplish this, but in general the idea was to guarantee that the copies were exactly the same as the originals so that transient hardware hiccups didn't leave us with a broken back-up.  I don't recall ever seeing this in any consumer back-up application.  One reason I'm partial to simple command-line utilities for home use is that if you have even a modicum of scripting experience it's fairly easy to build a wrapper around these programs that will verify the integrity of your back-ups.  Similarly, you can use simple scripts to copy files simultaneously or sequentially to several back-up devices.  My back-up philosophy is that lightning may indeed strike twice, so I consider three identical copies of any files I can't afford to lose to be a minimum.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 02:03:40 pm by Chris Kern »

MichaelEzra

• https://www.michaelezra.com
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2014, 02:08:25 pm »

I've been relying on GoodSync for a number of years. I think this is the best software for Update Mode backups (although it supports a few other modes) - meaning, it can synchronize differences across multiple locations. You get to control direction A->B, A<-B, A<->B , define policy for deleted files, control overwrites, visualize and adjust synchronization. Supports all file systems, clouds, etc. It is fast.

Bill Koenig

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2014, 09:57:52 am »

+1  Second Copy.
Been using it last 4 years. It there's a problem with a back up, it will let you know.
Bill Koenig,
Pages: [1]   Go Up