Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Staircase With Marble Walls  (Read 3675 times)

louoates

• Lou Oates Photography
Re: Staircase With Marble Walls
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2014, 03:10:23 pm »

Sounds good.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2014, 04:02:47 pm »

Back again. Okay, Lou, point your browser at http://www.fineartsnaps.com/downloads/Howey%20Staircase.zip. The file is just short of 68 meg, so you might as well start the download and go have a beer.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

louoates

• Lou Oates Photography
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2014, 08:48:47 pm »

I figured that you couldn't see much lamp light in that bright scene so I took the liberty of getting rid of a lot of sunlight coming in. I thought that a candle would go nicely on the stair post -- with no extra electric expense. Not too many layers and adjustment layers involved. Most of the color added was via the brush in the Overlay Blending Mode with various percentages of opacity. The masks made it easier to focus the effects on just the desired areas.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2014, 10:07:55 am »

Interesting stuff, Lou. Yes, I suspect lamplight in that foyer during daytime would be pretty hard to see. Only the lamp itself would be emphasized. But I also suspect that foyer isn't that dark at night with the light on. Unfortunately, by having to block the window in the upper left you eliminate an important compositional element -- one you pointed out yourself. Maybe someday I can go back down there in the evening and actually shoot what you constructed. Looking at all the layers and layer masks it seems an awful lot of work. You'd have a ball with a local friend of mind who loves to spend hours on his computer making people smile and adding people to crowds, etc.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

louoates

• Lou Oates Photography
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2014, 10:50:32 am »

I tend to like dark images and that shows here. I debated whether I should turn that top left window into a stained glass one, similar to the window upper right, but laziness won me over so I just cast it into darkness and added the candle instead to balance the composition. I didn't add a cowled monk emerging from the archway bottom right but I was tempted. Anyway, it was fun to play with such a nice image. Note: there only seemed to be five or six rather small incandescent bulbs in that fixture--one or more may have been burned out--hence the lack of light, although my psd file shows brighter on screen than the jpg I posted here. Like your local friend, I have way too much time on my hands.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up