Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Legacy Nikon Firewire film scanner and Windows 7 PCwith USB 2 and 3  (Read 5739 times)

Ian MacDonald

My Nikon Supercoolscan 4000ED film scanner is Firewire IEEE 1394 only - no USB. Does anyone have recommendations for the best way to keep this fine scanner functional with a new Windows 7 PC that has USB 2 and 3 ports but no IEEE 1394 port?  Thanks for any suggestions. By the way, the driver for this scanner can also be an issue but on an older PC that did have IEEE 1394 ports and Windows 7, I  overcame that successfully, thanks to instructions posted on a German website. 

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Re: Legacy Nikon Firewire film scanner and Windows 7 PCwith USB 2 and 3
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 08:23:38 pm »

It seems that some USB2.0 to Firewire adapters are available. Have you checked retailers such as Amazon or Newegg?

Cheers,
Bernard

Ian MacDonald

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 03:54:37 pm »

Thanks Bernard, yes I heve noted those options but have heard that often they are less than satisfactory. Since my initial post, my local computer folks may have found a IEEE 1394 card that will go into one of the slots of my PC. They are of the opinion that this would be the best way to go. We'll see - I'll post again when there is more to report.

dpirazzi

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 05:39:57 pm »

I have successfully used PCI or PCIe based 1394 cards on my last two windows computers to accomodate my Coolscan 4000. They are inexpensive and easy to install, and Windows automatically installs the driver for the card.

The Coolscan 4000 does not require power via firewire, so you don't need to hook up the extra power supply cable to the firewire card when installing (unless you have other firewire devices that do require power). The firewire interface on these old Coolscans is built in to the mainboard in the scanner, and seems to have a high failure rate of late, requiring very expensive repairs. Using a good quality 6 pin firewire cable and not providing power via the 1394 card will lessen the risk of frying the scanner's 1394 interface (I speak from experience on this unfortunately).

I also recommend skipping the Nikon driver x64 workarounds and using Vuescan for your scanning. Vuescan is much better than the Nikon Scan software.

Good Luck!

Dave
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 05:41:54 pm by dpirazzi »

Ian MacDonald

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2014, 07:31:17 pm »

Thanks Dave, very encouraging. My shop is getting a Startech (if I recall the name correctly) card for me.  Others too have suggested Vuescan, so I may well make that move.

WombatHorror

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2014, 08:35:50 pm »

I have successfully used PCI or PCIe based 1394 cards on my last two windows computers to accomodate my Coolscan 4000. They are inexpensive and easy to install, and Windows automatically installs the driver for the card.

The Coolscan 4000 does not require power via firewire, so you don't need to hook up the extra power supply cable to the firewire card when installing (unless you have other firewire devices that do require power). The firewire interface on these old Coolscans is built in to the mainboard in the scanner, and seems to have a high failure rate of late, requiring very expensive repairs. Using a good quality 6 pin firewire cable and not providing power via the 1394 card will lessen the risk of frying the scanner's 1394 interface (I speak from experience on this unfortunately).

I also recommend skipping the Nikon driver x64 workarounds and using Vuescan for your scanning. Vuescan is much better than the Nikon Scan software.

Good Luck!

Dave

DOn't you still need to do the x64 driver workaround anyway? It seems like you do to use it with Silverfast. Without the driver how does Vuescan recognize it?

dpirazzi

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2014, 06:02:16 pm »

As long as your scanner is in Vuescan's list of supported scanners, then Vuescan will find and control the scanner when it is plugged in and powered on. Vuescan has built-in drivers for 2300 scanners, according to their website. It has worked for me on Win Vista/7/8, all 64 bit versions, without installing any Nikon drivers or x64 workarounds.

Ian MacDonald

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2014, 03:32:43 pm »

Dave, that's good to know re Vuescan and drivers, as I too had assumed that the x64 workaround would still be required. More generally for scanning, as well as Vuescan I have been considering Silverfast - any thoughts?

dpirazzi

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2014, 06:33:25 pm »

I've not used Silverfast, so can't help you there. Perhaps others that have can respond.
Pages: [1]   Go Up