Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: yet another mirrorless system: Samsung's NX-M, a 1" format selfie cam  (Read 4672 times)

BJL

Yet another mirrorless camera system has been announced; Samsung NX-M in 1" format, and apparently uses the same 20MP sensor as in the Sony RX100:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/2014/03/19/samsung-announces-tiny-nx-mini-mirrorless-camera?utm_campaign=internal-link&utm_source=news-list&utm_medium=text&ref=title_0_1
So far, a dim wide prime (9mm/3.5) and a slow 3x zoom (9-27mm/3.5-5.6), both quite small, with a brighter ( f/1.8 ) normal prime coming.

It seems to emphasize selfies (180ยบ flip-up rear-screen, Wi-Fi and NFC ...).

This suggests to me that Samsung's "APS-C" format NX system is failing, and that Samsung is for the second time abandoning one effort to enter the ILC market in favor of a different, mostly incompatible, system. (Remember its Pentax-based DSLRs?)

Doesn't Samsung know that FF mirrorless is the way to go  ;)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 12:46:48 pm by BJL »

SZRitter

Re: yet another mirrorless system: Samsung's NX-M, a 1" format selfie cam
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 12:57:53 pm »

Looking at their range of other devices, looks like the company ethos is to go after more mainstream consumer than high-end pro. I could see this strategy working, except that I'm not sure mainstream consumers are gong to buy a camera in addition to their phone and tablet.

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 04:54:43 am »

Could be interesting if it makes phone calls...

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 05:24:02 am »

The good news is that it is an excellent sensor:

Sony RX100, ISO3200, raw converted with DxO 9 in Prime mode.

cheers,
Bernard

peterottaway

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 06:09:03 am »

I have decided to go 1 inch with the Sony RX10 plus full frame. Unless you are ruthless in your purchasing you can end up with a real mish mash of photo gear and the A7r will also enable me to retire pretty well all my A mount zooms and only keep my primes.

BJL

1" systems: success relies on overall execution, not so much on sensors
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2014, 02:46:46 pm »

The good news is that it is an excellent sensor:
Agreed: this sensor and others of its size can offer a nice balance of performance far better than phone in a camera far more portable than any SLR, so with the right execution, maybe systems based on 1" could eventually outsell ones based on 4/3" or APS-C, by hitting the sweet spot for a greater number of customers.

But these days it seems that the key to a system's success is not so much the sensors (which are generally so good and give images of such high definition that they do not generate much differentiation between brands for the needs of most camera customers) as it is details in the execution, like:
- appropriate lens choices
- reliable, fast and flexible auto-focus,
and
- making it easy to use the camera and the photos in the ways that a large number of today's camera customers want to.

For now, both Nikon and Sony seem to be executing a lot better in this young 1" format sector.

RichDesmond

Agreed: this sensor and others of its size can offer a nice balance of performance far better than phone in a camera far more portable than any SLR, so with the right execution, maybe systems based on 1" could eventually outsell ones based on 4/3" or APS-C, by hitting the sweet spot for a greater number of customers.

But these days it seems that the key to a system's success is not so much the sensors (which are generally so good and give images of such high definition that they do not generate much differentiation between brands for the needs of most camera customers) as it is details in the execution, like:
- appropriate lens choices
- reliable, fast and flexible auto-focus,
and
- making it easy to use the camera and the photos in the ways that a large number of today's camera customers want to.

For now, both Nikon and Sony seem to be executing a lot better in this young 1" format sector.

I guess I'm confused (and I suppose a little biased), but I can't understand why someone would buy that Samsung instead of the Panasonic GM1 with the kit 12-32. Virtually the same size, and you'd be getting into a very mature and well developed system, with all sorts of camera body form factors available and by far the best lens selection in the mirrorless world.
Pages: [1]   Go Up