Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 900 Megapixel Portraits  (Read 988 times)

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
900 Megapixel Portraits
« on: March 19, 2014, 01:38:55 am »

This will either intrigue you or freak you out, depending on how much you zoom in!

http://gizmodo.com/900-megapixel-portraits-turn-the-human-face-into-a-craz-1545799593

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Petrus

Re: 900 Megapixel Portraits
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 03:44:22 am »

Blah.... The same was done already 30 years ago with giant Polaroids, 30 foot high closeups of faces. I think it was a museum in Boston?

BobDavid

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 09:12:18 am »

This process and the output is much different than the big Polaroid view camera portraits. I think the motion-control, macro, step and repeat process is ingenious. The captures are interesting--reminds me of modern-day daguereotypes, because the subject has to hold still for a relatively long period. I'll bet the prints are really cool. The big Polaroids have a look of their own, but I don't find them all that interesting. The chemical smears along the edges made for an "artistic" effect. It was a nice publicity ploy for Polaroid--a lot of well-known artists and photographers were invited to use the camera. I never found the gamut of Polaroid color very convincing

The cartography reference to the portraits made with the motion control rig and the 5D is apt, methinks.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 09:18:43 am by BobDavid »

Petrus

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 09:52:04 am »

This process and the output is much different than the big Polaroid view camera portraits.

Blah... View camera size.

The polaroids I am talking about were 40x80 inches in size. Two lab technicians were actually inside the camera wearing night vision goggles and developed each sheet by hand. Each portrait comprised 9 of these panels making the print of the face 10x20 feet (3x6 meters) in size.
Pages: [1]   Go Up