Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Printing on Epson 9880 (RGB)  (Read 2585 times)

BHoll

Printing on Epson 9880 (RGB)
« on: March 18, 2014, 10:31:14 am »

Hi,

Simple question: What's the best way to print RGB files on an Epson 9880?
I'd assume it's the same as with other Epson photo printers: open file in Photoshop, use the correct paper profile (Hahnemühle in my case), use the settings recommended by Epson, etc.... then hit the "print" button. Right?

The reason why I'm asking:
A friend of mine runs a pre-press business, using an Epson 9880 – but solely to print CMYK proofs. He said I could use his printer to print some large format images for an upcoming exhibition.
As a photographer, I prefer to work in RGB. In the past I have used a professional lab to print my RGB images, who are also using the Epson 9880, on Hahnemühle Fine Art Pearl paper – excellent results, but obviously more expensive.

So my friend did a test print on the same paper – but unfortunately he sent them through his proofing software (EFI Colorproof XF), and the prints came out rather bright and with less vivid colours. Some dark areas also showed extreme banding...
He seems to swear by his proofing software, and said he doesn't have time to recalibrate his printer to RGB workflow. Whereas I'm thinking: there's probably no need to recalibrate anything – just bypass the proofing software, and we're good to go...

I know that every printer has slightly different colours, even if it's the exact same printer model. And I don't expect a 100% match/proof to what I see on my calibrated screen.... As long as I'm 95% there, that's fine...

It'd be great if someone her had experience with the Epson 9880 (or 7880 / 11880) printers.
Thank you for your help & thoughts on this!!

Randy Carone

Re: Printing on Epson 9880 (RGB)
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 10:43:25 am »

He may have sent your file to his print using a CMYK workflow. The workflow can easily by-pass his EFI and simply open the file in PS and send it to the printer using the Epson driver, apply the correct profile and send to his 9880 with 'PS manages color' selected. The EFI RIP can be used but the operator will have to change his normal settings to RGB rather than his usual CMYK workflow, which will result in incorrect colors from your RGB file.
Randy Carone

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 10:57:05 am »

Simple answer, as Randy stated, use the Epson driver, via Photoshop or LR.  Either will work fine, all three of the printers share the same ink set, the 11880 having both blacks online.

Mac or Win, should be pretty much the same.  For a start try using a Epson paper and one of their downloadable profiles, RC, Premium Luster 260 W or fine are Epson Exhibition fiber. 

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 10:57:58 am »

The native Epson driver only accepts RGB. You can feed it CMYK and you'll get butt ugly output, it has to convert from CMYK back to RGB (badly). Now place a RIP or substitute print driver that does accept CMYK, you can proof that color space to match another CMYK device (within reason). And that's the only time you'd send CMYK to such a device, to make a cross rendered proof of another CMYK process. If you're not doing this, you absolutely want to send it tagged RGB along with a good RGB ICC output profile.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

BHoll

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 12:25:09 pm »

Thanks for your help!
I forgot to say: He sent RGB data to the EFI proof software. (He knows what he's doing, so I guess that EFI must somehow be able to deal with RGB data as well).
Will try another test, this time without the proof software...
Pages: [1]   Go Up