Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Finally - Color Management on Mobile  (Read 23243 times)

mlewis

Re: Finally - Color Management on Mobile
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2014, 05:25:50 am »

Agreed but it's still half baked. Don't we want and expect a visual match? X-rite could have done this easily!
A visual match would be good but maybe the differences are down to hardware issues with the screen that prevent a match being possible.

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2014, 07:02:57 am »

A visual match would be good but maybe the differences are down to hardware issues with the screen that prevent a match being possible.

There's no hardware issues - there's a lack of goddamn visual match slider, and custom x,y wtpt target calibration.
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2014, 10:59:56 am »

Nope, not buying that. The product doesn't work. It is said to produce 'accurate color' (BS). It should provide controls to produce a visual match like any half decent display calibration package. Note that X-rite does produce at least one crippled product for this task outside of mobil systems, it's just as silly a software architecture as this new product is. Dumb it down to the point that it's impossible for it to produce the desired goal. Close(er) is good enough? NO. As I said, a very simple slider would have fixed this glaring issue, at least on my end. I'm simply not going to use the tools and controls in my high end NEC SpectraView to make a mismatch to my output, just to produce a match to my iPad calibrated with a half baked product. The iPad should, within reason and within gamut, produce a visual match to my NEC. It's not even close. And that's totally due to two WP aim points that are a mile apart with nothing in between to select. Result: mismatch.

So, anyone enthusiastic about this new product because it indeed did produce a visual match to their displays (and said displays are calibrated to produce a match elsewhere?).
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2014, 11:23:07 am »

It is said to produce 'accurate color' (BS).

Am I being too harsh considering the descriptor of this product from the horses mouth?

In our on-the-go, photography-filled world, mobile devices have become one of the most important ways for displaying and sharing our images, but their color accuracy is not perfect. ColorTRUE is the super simple way for professional and enthusiast color perfectionists alike to get unrivaled color accuracy on their mobile devices. Show your TRUE colors – anywhere and everywhere you are!

So, you think the color on your tablet or phone looks pretty good, right? Try this. Hold your portable device up next to your desktop. Are your colors too pumped up or have they lost the level of saturation you expected to see? Are your shadows blocked up? Do your images look different on your tablet compared to your desktop? If you answered yes to any of these questions, then it’s time to calibrate with ColorTRUE– the new color management app that delivers true tablet-to-desktop screen matching (from the leader in color calibration and profiling, X-Rite Pantone). Now you can show your photos with absolute confidence knowing they are color accurate.

Maybe unrivaled color accuracy is marketing speak suggesting 'better'. This enthusiast color perfectionist wants a match as he was promised!

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2014, 05:36:33 am »

This app makes images on my Nexus 7 tablet display a lot closer to images on my Spectraview 2690 monitor.  It's not the same but a lot better than before.

Same displays here, same result. It would have been better if the method used was ICC based and as I understand it Android at least has some basics for that approach. At least there is something done on tablet CM, other than the Surface Pro. Mentioned the SDK to the developer of DSLR Controller that runs on my Nexus 7.

--
Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
January 2014, 600+ inkjet media white spectral plots.

ThDo

« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2014, 10:29:32 am »

@samueljohnchia

What do you mean with finally?

The solution form the competitor (Datacolor) has been around for almost a year.

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2014, 10:58:40 am »

Datacolor offers one application SpyderGallery that has the CM baked in and as far as my information goes no tool for developers to integrate the same solution in other apps next to SpyderGallery. Maybe ColorTrue will not get beyond its Gallery app but at least an SDK is available.

--
Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
January 2014, 600+ inkjet media white spectral plots.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 11:12:33 am by Ernst Dinkla »

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2014, 05:06:22 pm »

It was about time for some colormanagement on tablets. Glad to see Android support, but I'm disappointed that the I1Pro is not supported (I1Pro 2 is).

Cheers,
Bart
Since my i1 Pro still works fine and I'm not about to upgrade I guess I can't calibrate my Samsung Galaxy Tab.  I think I will survive somehow!

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2014, 05:28:31 pm »

Since my i1 Pro still works fine and I'm not about to upgrade I guess I can't calibrate my Samsung Galaxy Tab.  I think I will survive somehow!

I'm seriously thinking about writing a book "Survival in a colour managed environment", so I'd also take my chances ;)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 05:30:23 pm by Czornyj »

samueljohnchia

« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2014, 07:32:48 pm »

@samueljohnchia

What do you mean with finally?

The solution form the competitor (Datacolor) has been around for almost a year.

I'm sorry, I don't see Datacolor as a competitor. The Spyder 4 colorimeter may be the best thing they had ever done, but their software is crap and some of their color management products I know of don't do color management. What the hell is a spectrocolorimeter?? The marketing speak for their app is even worse than X-rite's and the visual results, from their demo video appears dubious. No thanks, I'm staying far away from Datacolor.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 10:54:52 pm by samueljohnchia »

samueljohnchia

« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2014, 07:41:38 pm »

I am disappointed to learn that the ColorTrue app does not really use an ICC profile for the display calibration, and there is such limited control, traded for user simplicity. I see that the calibration cycles through the full range of backlight and I'm hoping there's some magic going on with different TRC applied for different 'brightness' settings. Tried on an iPhone 5s. We must be allowed to do white point matching afterwards otherwise this is all a waste of time. I see better separation mostly in the darkest shadows, and very slight differences in color before and after calibration, keeping the while point set to native. So the phone's display isn't much improved - better, but it's already quite decent. At least the app's gallery does not expand images to their full width or height, cutting off parts of the picture if the aspect ratio isn't the same as the phone display.

Some Guy

« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2014, 01:14:01 am »

Bah!  >:(

Doesn't work with either my ColorMunki Photo nor my i1 PhotoPro 2 unit, even though xrite claims it does with the i1 PhotoPro 2 on their website (But not so in their news on the unit), my Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 10.1" won't even recognize the device with the newest Android OS (v4.2.2) installed today.

Don't know why the ColorMunki Photo is so much different from their ColorMunki Designer or whatever it is called that 'supposedly' does work.

Oh well.  $2,000 in xrite gear and I got squat to show on the Samsung.

SG

donbga

« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2014, 11:31:11 am »

I was disappointed to discover that 3 of my xRite manufactured devices aren't supported. Fail in my opinion.

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2014, 11:34:27 am »

I was disappointed to discover that 3 of my xRite manufactured devices aren't supported. Fail in my opinion.
It's a nefarious plot to get you to upgrade to the newest device and of course nobody gives you any credit for the old device which doesn't work with the new software.  Pretty good business model!

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2014, 01:09:39 pm »

It's a nefarious plot to get you to upgrade to the newest device and of course nobody gives you any credit for the old device which doesn't work with the new software.  Pretty good business model!

Hi Alan,

I beg to differ, pissing off your loyal customer base is rarely a good business model. The first thing I did when my I1pro wouldn't connect is send a 1 star rated review, and look for alternatives.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2014, 01:12:01 pm »

and look for alternatives.
Now that would be the tough part ;)

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2014, 01:21:00 pm »

To some degree that may be true but I suspect it's more about X-rite's severe lack of engineering resources, poor software architecture design and such factors than a nefarious plot. For example, the newer i1Pro-2 Spectrophotometer (or whatever it's supposed to be called) is backwards compatible like the older hardware and thus compatible with their older software products . I can use it in ProfileMaker Pro as if it were the older Spectrophotometer. Good job X-rite. Now one has to ask, why didn't they do the same with the newer product under discussion here that doesn't work anyway? Too much engineering to support the older products? Don't know. What I do know is their high end software product rots on the fine while they build solutions that don't work well because they see this huge market for tablets. They are kind of like a child with ADHD, they can't sit still and finish a project before moving to another, only to produce yet a newer half baked result. It's a shame they don't know they are really a very good hardware company and a pretty piss-poor software company. To be expected with no real competition. So, do they fix this product so it actually works? Or go back to i1Profiler which years after the death of PMP and i1P is still lacking lots of functionality those products provided? 

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2014, 01:25:38 pm »

Now that would be the tough part ;)

Sure, but then I had already started to program a generic utility to assist in optimizing the color rendition of portfolio/presentation images on tablets. Now that I've only found one 'competitive' (by DataColor) offering to the X-Rite app, there seems to be room for something more affordable than a free app + required investment.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Some Guy

« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2014, 05:28:21 pm »

Fwiw, x-rite had a webinar 3/27 that explained the ColorTRUE thing.  Showed which units works with what system, Android or Apple.  My choice would have to be a ColorMunki Display, or their i1Photo Display for Samsung Tab 3 10.1 (Android.).

Luckily, I found a dealer who had a ColorMunki Display open-box sitting on a shelf.  Plugged it in, the ColorTRUE app found the device (Both the i1Photo Pro 2 and ColorMunki Photo were dead to it: "No device found."), and did its thing for maybe 5 minutes.

Yes.  The color display looks a lot better and it also did boost the shadow detail a lot too in the unit.  The webinar said it would, and the store's salespeople agreed.  You have a small button on the side of the screen you can press to show the Before and After too.

They are running some one-day sale following their webinar on the ColorMunki Photo and the i1Pro Display along with a ColorChecker Passport for $40 off some already in place $50 off sale.  So almost $100 cheaper until March 29 (B&H and Adorama both show the sale as does Samy's in LA area.).

SG

tho_mas

« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2014, 10:30:25 am »

On my iPad the Color True App produces a useable grey scale (visually pretty consistent from black to white)... in particular the differentiation of dark tonal values is more accurate with calibration enabled.
I would never use my iPad for color critical work - if at all I use it for image presentation. And for this the App actually works pretty well.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up