Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Issues with metal prints re: sharpening. Can't figure it out.  (Read 3106 times)

TJ_Thorne

Hi.

So I have been having issues with metal prints coming back from the lab with poor results. The same exact file prints up beautifully on Fuji Pearl.. but every time I get a file printed on metal my files looks as shown.

Aspen Creek said that it's the way the ROES software is collaborating with the sharpening I applied. So they asked me to resubmit the order (still through ROES) and they would reprint it. Just got the test print back and it looks the same.

I have also had the same issue with Bay Photo.. but the only thing they told me was to look at my file at 100% to see how it would print. Ummm.. yeah.

Here are some shots of what I'm talking about. Has anyone run into this? It's very frustrating and I have had someone waiting on a large print for some time now because this can't be figured out. Don't mind the color cast. This was taken under fluorescent light.

Fuji Pearl

Same file on metal

Fuji Pearl

Same file on metal

And my sharpening workflow goes like this. Nothing out of the ordinary:

1. Deconvolution in lightroom.
2. Slight highpass after resizing
3. Unsharp mask

shadowblade

Re: Issues with metal prints re: sharpening. Can't figure it out.
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 11:33:37 pm »

How big are you printing?

Metal prints suffer a slight loss of sharpness in the image transfer process, so they do much better in large sizes (20x30 and up). Also, as a result of this, they can take a lot more sharpening than paper prints.

TJ_Thorne

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 11:41:46 pm »

Thanks for the reply.

I've noticed the same issue on both 8x12 and 16x24. Both files were resized and prepped for that size.

But like I said.. it's weird that it prints up fine on one paper but HORRIBLY on metal. It's not just the black markings but the sharpening overall that is affected.

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 09:49:59 am »

The second file does not look very good in the hi res print on paper. On metal a lot worse.
Is this dye sub on metal and if so what substrate did you choose?
I am happy to look at your original files and tell you what I think.
If you like go to my website and send me the same file you sent Aspen Creek.
I will report back here on my findings.

Jim Coda

• Jim Coda Photography
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 01:24:19 pm »

Aspen Creek said that it's the way the ROES software is collaborating with the sharpening I applied. So they asked me to resubmit the order (still through ROES) and they would reprint it. Just got the test print back and it looks the same.

I have also had the same issue with Bay Photo.. but the only thing they told me was to look at my file at 100% to see how it would print. Ummm.. yeah.

Aspen Creek may be right about the way its ROES software is collaborating with your sharpening and, then again, it may not be.  The way to find out is to submit the file with no sharpening.   

I assume your "Ummm ... yeah" response to Bay Photo means you did look at the image at 100% after sharpening and it looked fine, right?  Did Bay Photo look at the file at 100% before printing?  Shouldn't it (and Aspen Creek)?  Maybe I'm assuming too much, but shouldn't a printing company contact the customer before printing when a file looks bad?     

Jim

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 01:37:20 pm »

Silly question, but had similar problems, then realized that with the color correction option selected, an operator at Bay Photo was doing a lot more than color correction! Turned that off and have not had a problem since. This was also with ROES. Have you checked this?

TJ_Thorne

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 04:37:11 pm »

Thanks for the replies everyone.

My 'Ummm.. yeah' was because Bay Photo wasn't very interested in helping me with the issue. They have told me that Mac's can't be calibrated and that if I looked at my photo at 100% that's how it will print.. which is obviously not the case. I've had A LOT of issues with Bay Photo and have since switched to Aspen Creek for my loose prints.

I just got off the phone with one of their printers and he told me that it does indeed seem to be the way the software is collaborating with my file. I am sending a resized file (at the size the final print will be) and he will be processing it outside of the software and printing a crop.

He said that he's seen this once before and is unsure why it happens.

Pages: [1]   Go Up