Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sony a7R long exposure modes  (Read 11972 times)

pjtn

Sony a7R long exposure modes
« on: March 16, 2014, 09:45:41 pm »

Is it possible to set an exposure over 30 seconds on the Sony a7R without a remote? I've found a time lapse app and I'm wondering if there might be something for long exposures also.

Ben Rubinstein

Re: Sony a7R long exposure modes
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 04:24:40 am »

Use bulb in manual mode. With the IR remote it's one click to start the exposure, another to close it. They cost a couple of bucks on ebay. Otherwise just stick your finger on the button as long as you want the exposure.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 09:53:19 am »

The Sony app relies on the shutter speed of the camera, i.e 1/30th is the longest you can use.  This is true with all of the cameras I have seen that claim to have an intervalometer built in. 

For some time laspe work, the 1/30 max may work, however if you are working at night, you will need much longer than this and thus an intervalometer.  Currently Sony doesn't make one for any of their cameras that I am aware of, and I have not seen a 3rd party intervalometer that works with the Proprietary Sony remote port.

Paul Caldwell

Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Manoli

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 11:44:23 am »

The Sony app relies on the shutter speed of the camera, i.e 1/30th is the longest you can use.  This is true with all of the cameras I have seen that claim to have an intervalometer built in. 

For some time laspe work, the 1/30 max may work, however if you are working at night, you will need much longer than this and thus an intervalometer.  Currently Sony doesn't make one for any of their cameras that I am aware of, and I have not seen a 3rd party intervalometer that works with the Proprietary Sony remote port.

Not sure what app you're referring to but Sony provide a Mac/Win application 'Remote Camera Control' essentially for tethering but also interval capture. Via the app you can use any shutter speed you wish upto the in-camera max 30secs. It really is a very complete application and much more robust than a multitude of mini-apps. Strongly suggest  you download and try it out - (just be careful of the [USB Connection] → [PC Remote] note below).

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=75783.msg699656#msg699656

PS
When using “Remote Camera Control,” the following ops  are available via computer.
- Changing this product’s settings and shooting.
- Recording images directly to the computer.
- Performing interval timer shooting.
NB :  MENU → (Setup)(p4) → [USB Connection] → [PC Remote].
[p360]  https://docs.sony.com/release/ILCE-7_7R_guide_EN.pdf

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 05:18:14 pm »

I  referring to the Sony app called timelaspe.   I made a error by listing 1/30th as the longest shutter speed I meant 30 seconds.

If you can work with a 30 second max for your interval then that's great and the app may be a good deal. Most night photography where you are stacking needs more than a 30 second limit. Plus the app requires a constant wifi connection to your iPhone and in a average night where I shoot for 5 hours the iPhone may not last.

My point is its a very limited tool at 30 seconds max and a simple intervalometer remote would fix the problem.

Paul C

Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

Manoli

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 05:51:14 pm »

I  referring to the Sony app called timelaspe.   I made a error by listing 1/30th as the longest shutter speed I meant 30 seconds.

If you can work with a 30 second max for your interval then that's great and the app may be a good deal. Most night photography where you are stacking needs more than a 30 second limit. Plus the app requires a constant wifi connection to your iPhone and in a average night where I shoot for 5 hours the iPhone may not last.

My point is its a very limited tool at 30 seconds max and a simple intervalometer remote would fix the problem.

We're talking at cross purposes.
30secs is the MAX SHUTTER speed, the interval can be set at whatever you wish.
You're talking iPhone app - I referred to the Win/Mac app.
You don't need wi-fi but you'll need a computer and a cable - USB3 micro

The app is a free download.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2014, 07:31:03 pm »

Back to the OP's question.  No you can't run time-lapse app PC Mac iPad whatever, and get an exposure longer than 30 seconds.  To do this you need bulb and and intervalometer.  Sony makes no intervalometer and no 3rd party companies I know of do since Sony uses a proprietary port.

I fully understand the max shutter speed  is 30 seconds.  I wasn't aware that there was a solution for PC or MAC, but it still won't get you past the 30 seconds limit.

My other point, is that if you are stacking in a night photography application, 30 seconds is not often long enough to work.  So the Sony cameras will not work as most times you need 1 to 2 minute exposures. 

The limiting issue is the fact you can't get around the 30 seconds max for exposure. 

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2014, 10:19:43 am »

Is it possible to set an exposure over 30 seconds on the Sony a7R without a remote? I've found a time lapse app and I'm wondering if there might be something for long exposures also.

This will do the job by the description, but it also uses the IR remote mode.  Not sure if/why that is an issue. 
http://astrus.bymac.org/
Otherwise just get one of the $10 IR remotes from ebay.  They act like a T mode, just set the camera to manual and Bulb and they will open the shutter with 1 press and close with a 2nd.

reeses

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2014, 03:05:21 am »

(Late hit but I didn't want to start a new topic since this is spot on.)

For long exposures, how are people getting around the shutter shock with the a7R?  I've been covering the corrector lens until it settles down, but was wondering if anyone more clever or experienced than I has figured out a less "involved" and risky approach.

Since I am going after deep sky objects, my exposures are long enough generally to "work out" the shake, but it's still annoying and I haven't gotten out of the "you just got a new camera!" window to get the a7S. :-)

CptZar

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2014, 05:59:01 am »

No. Either IR Remote or Cable. I prefer the IR and actually do all Tripod Shooting with it.

Telecaster

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2014, 03:39:25 pm »

For long exposures, how are people getting around the shutter shock with the a7R? I've been covering the corrector lens until it settles down, but was wondering if anyone more clever or experienced than I has figured out a less "involved" and risky approach.

I'd recommend adding mass to begin with. Once I mounted an old Contax flash unit (TLA-360) on my A7r, shutter vibration ceased being an issue. (YMMV depending on tripod, tripod head, QR plate, lenses used, etc.) Otherwise for long exposures I do what I've always done with "clunky shutter" cameras: hold my hat in front of the lens/scope for a couple seconds after the shutter opens.

-Dave-

reeses

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2014, 06:48:16 am »

That's what I've been doing otherwise.  Boxes of washers from hardware stores help balance things out.  I might just mill a block of aluminum onto a cold-shoe mount.  Thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up