Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Card, computer or LR?  (Read 2227 times)

Greg D

Card, computer or LR?
« on: March 16, 2014, 04:07:46 pm »

Don't know if my problem is with the memory card, the computer, Lightroom (4.4) or some combination thereof.  The attached photos greeted me upon download recently.  In posting this question on another forum, the concensus was clearly memory card problem.  However, over the next week or so, I had a couple of previously downloaded files (from 2010) that had already been edited show the same corruption.  I opened those raw files in DPP and they appeared normal.  I removed them from LR and re-imported and they were restored to their former normalcy, LR adjustments intact.  However, opening the recent shots in DPP gave me the message "Decoding failed" and they had more or less the same appearance you see here.  I also had two "blue screen" shutdown events recently for the first time.  So it would appear I have a hardware problem, but don't know if that's the sole problem.  Any ideas?
Thanks,
Greg

aduke

Re: Card, computer or LR?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 04:53:57 pm »

Don't know if my problem is with the memory card, the computer, Lightroom (4.4) or some combination thereof.  The attached photos greeted me upon download recently.  In posting this question on another forum, the concensus was clearly memory card problem.  However, over the next week or so, I had a couple of previously downloaded files (from 2010) that had already been edited show the same corruption.  I opened those raw files in DPP and they appeared normal.  I removed them from LR and re-imported and they were restored to their former normalcy, LR adjustments intact.  However, opening the recent shots in DPP gave me the message "Decoding failed" and they had more or less the same appearance you see here.  I also had two "blue screen" shutdown events recently for the first time.  So it would appear I have a hardware problem, but don't know if that's the sole problem.  Any ideas?
Thanks,
Greg

Since both DPP and LR fail, your problem does not seem to be software. That leaves your card, the download path( card reader, USB cable, USB controller), computer processor or memory.

You've got to collect more information in order to eliminate each of the possible sources of the failure.

Alan

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 04:59:14 pm »

My thoughts were, like Alan, that it might be memory - try reseating them. Another possibility is the monitor profile may be corrupt, so recalibrate the monitor.

BrianWJH

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2014, 05:40:03 pm »

Hi Greg, first are the attached jpegs direct from the camera or are they exported jpegs created from the original camera raw files in LR?
Second, regarding the previously downloaded files from 2010, are they in-camera or exported jpegs that are showing corruption?

Brian.

Greg D

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2014, 07:28:20 pm »

Hi Greg, first are the attached jpegs direct from the camera or are they exported jpegs created from the original camera raw files in LR?
Second, regarding the previously downloaded files from 2010, are they in-camera or exported jpegs that are showing corruption?

Brian.

Attached jpegs were exported from LR.  Both the recent & older files were raw files that showed corruption in the previews rendered in LR.

Greg D

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2014, 07:35:54 pm »

Since both DPP and LR fail, your problem does not seem to be software. That leaves your card, the download path( card reader, USB cable, USB controller), computer processor or memory.

You've got to collect more information in order to eliminate each of the possible sources of the failure.

Alan

Well, they both fail with the recent shots, but only LR fails with the older ones.  I did try reseating the memory as suggested in another post, but of course I can't say for sure if this is the problem or not.  The recent raw files are corrupt, so this must be due to hardware (computer, card or camera), but as for the older ones, not so sure.......

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2014, 09:48:17 pm »

Well, they both fail with the recent shots, but only LR fails with the older ones.  I did try reseating the memory as suggested in another post, but of course I can't say for sure if this is the problem or not.  The recent raw files are corrupt, so this must be due to hardware (computer, card or camera), but as for the older ones, not so sure.......

1.  It's not RAM, CPU, monitor profile, or Lightroom.   Do you have any other issues with your computer that would indicate any of these things when running any other programs?  If you even suspected RAM or CPU a simple diagnostic would extinguish that line of thought..

2.  You downloaded these from memory cards, through a reader, through a port, but failed to mention any of the variables which could actually corrupt your data.  Such as what type of card reader, what port, through which type of interface, the destination medium.

3.  You also failed to mention if the files are intact on the original card (can you view them on the camera) which would only indicate the embedded jpegs are okay, but that's a start.  If you still have the original files on the original card did you try downloading them to another computer, through another port, via another reader?

4.  Your chances of recovering the files from the destination medium you're reading these examples from is nil.  But you might be able to recover from an intact card, or even a re-formatted card (never, ever, reformat or erase a card until you've verified your files on two different destination mediums) using recovery software.   If you can do this, try another computer, another reader, whatever other variables you can think of.

5.  Before posting on a forum asking for help, now two forums, do the basics yourself. (discussed above)
----------------------------------------------
http://www.BangkokImages.com

BrianWJH

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2014, 11:04:34 pm »

I also had two "blue screen" shutdown events recently for the first time.
I would check the status of the disks in Control Panel-->Computer Management, also run the Control Panel-->Windows Memory Diagnostic

Also check Control Panel-->Event Viewer-->Windows Logs for any errors or warnings that might indicate a hard disk or other hardware issue.

Brian.

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2014, 12:37:36 am »

Without a doubt, failing hard drive.  Backup, replace it.

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2014, 01:10:47 am »

Without a doubt, failing hard drive.  Backup, replace it.
Yep.. or a failing RAID..   

SZRitter

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2014, 02:29:16 pm »

Failing HD or just corrupt for some reason.

Hopefully you have backups somewhere?

EDIT:
I should add, if you can, stop using the computer, remove it, put in a new one and then either mirror this old one on to the new one, or set it up from scratch and backup then move the files over. You can get cheap ($25 or so) external enclosures for the drive that will allow you to use it just like any other external drive. But with the way you describe the problems, it sounds like it is failing fast.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 02:41:53 pm by SZRitter »

Greg D

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2014, 09:49:28 pm »

1.  It's not RAM, CPU, monitor profile, or Lightroom.   Do you have any other issues with your computer that would indicate any of these things when running any other programs?  If you even suspected RAM or CPU a simple diagnostic would extinguish that line of thought..

2.  You downloaded these from memory cards, through a reader, through a port, but failed to mention any of the variables which could actually corrupt your data.  Such as what type of card reader, what port, through which type of interface, the destination medium.

3.  You also failed to mention if the files are intact on the original card (can you view them on the camera) which would only indicate the embedded jpegs are okay, but that's a start.  If you still have the original files on the original card did you try downloading them to another computer, through another port, via another reader?

4.  Your chances of recovering the files from the destination medium you're reading these examples from is nil.  But you might be able to recover from an intact card, or even a re-formatted card (never, ever, reformat or erase a card until you've verified your files on two different destination mediums) using recovery software.   If you can do this, try another computer, another reader, whatever other variables you can think of.

5.  Before posting on a forum asking for help, now two forums, do the basics yourself. (discussed above)

I dropped the ball on the card - At first it seemed obvious that the card was the problem, so I erased, reformatted and marked it for non-critical use.  I did try reloading them before I did that, but it was through the same path to the same computer, with same result.  I'm computer-ignorant enough that I don't know how to do a "simple diagnostic", but it became apparent that it was a computer problem, so it's gone to the shop.

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2014, 10:33:48 pm »

I've had the problems and the culprit was.... all three at different times. Frequently it has been corruption in writing -- either to the card or my hard drive. Years ago, with the original Canon 1D,  I lost a number of images on a card because of problems with the camera, not the card. Sometimes the image has been fine on my hard drive, only to discover it corrupted later. (This has happened numerous times with PSD files, but infrequently with TIFF. I blame my hard drive, but also blame PS as much in the way it writes the PSD file, versus TIFF. People will scream I am wrong, but I rarely have issues with TIFFs, which I save to 90% of the time, but frequently have the issue with PSDs.)

In all, there doesn't seem to be anyone culprit, as much as a little of all.

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2014, 11:08:05 pm »

I dropped the ball on the card - At first it seemed obvious that the card was the problem, so I erased, reformatted and marked it for non-critical use.  I did try reloading them before I did that, but it was through the same path to the same computer, with same result.  I'm computer-ignorant enough that I don't know how to do a "simple diagnostic", but it became apparent that it was a computer problem, so it's gone to the shop.

Even though you reformatted the card, if you didn't subsequently use it and write over the data it will still be there and its' not hard to recover it.  Even if you later filled up half the disk.. a lot will still be there.   

Sometimes for fun I'll "recover" my old cards, or cards other people give me (educational purposes only) and I'll find files dating back years.
Pages: [1]   Go Up