Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Photographer’s Ephemeris  (Read 3313 times)

Ray Cox

The Photographer’s Ephemeris
« on: March 16, 2014, 11:59:29 am »

Has anyone used The Photographer’s Ephemeris outdoor lighting planning application. I am headed to the Southwest US soon and I am wondering how useful this app is.
Not being familiar with the area it appears that it would be useful for planning the days activities. Are there any concerns with the software?

Thanks, Ray

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
Re: The Photographer’s Ephemeris
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 12:34:52 pm »

It's really nice.  I have it loaded on my Samsung Galaxy S4 and it runs well. Great for quickly determining sunrise and sunset, moonrise and moon set locations, where these are in the sky at any time, where to be to catch these things.  You can even calculate when and where they will be at the horizon when there are other things there like trees and mountains.  I'd practice with it before you go so you won't be fumbling when you need it on your trip. 

Sometimes it doesn't orient the display to the correct compass direction when you point your phone.  Then I have to recalibrate the compass but that seems to be a problem with the phone as the same thing happens with my other GPS and compass programs.  Have a nice trip.

Ray Cox

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 12:55:19 pm »

Thanks for the quick reply and the information Alan. This appears to be something that will help on the trip. I am planning to head down to Texas the first week of April to see if I can catch the wild flowers in bloom, and then head slowly further south. No time constraints, I guess getting old has some benefits!
Hoping to give the MFD a work out, that way perhaps next winter won't be so boring with images to process on these long cold days.

Thanks again, Ray

PhotoEcosse

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2014, 03:11:13 pm »

I have been using it for many years and wouldn't be without it.

That said, the number of occasions per year that I do use it is not all that great. It is one of those apps that is invaluable when you do need it, even if you don't need it very often. (Sorry if that sounds a bit Newfie).
"Reality is an illusion caused by lack of alcohol."
Alternatively, "Life begins at the far end of your comfort zone."

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2014, 03:39:55 pm »

That's pretty true.  But it will probably be used more when you travel since you're not familiar with the territory.

Rob Whitehead

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 09:28:45 am »

I shot a moonrise this evening and used an iphone app called focalware. Simpler than p Ephemeroptera, just shows sum and moon rise/set time and direction on a compass.

I have photographers ephemeris and would buy it - apps are pretty darn cheap compared to lenses - but I must say I use focalware a lot more in practice.
Carpe lucem

Telecaster

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 03:05:43 pm »

I find TPE very useful for travel pic-taking and just observing. The cost is modest. I have it installed on both tablet and phone, the former mainly for planning and the latter for on-location info.

-Dave- (comin' atcha from 36,000 feet up via in-flight wifi)

NancyP

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 06:25:21 pm »

Best thing since sliced bread.
It allows planning shots, particularly when overlaid with city maps or when using a decent compass/ gps-compass
Pages: [1]   Go Up