Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Choosing a Lens For Copy Work Using the OM-D E-M1  (Read 5649 times)

Nick S.

Choosing a Lens For Copy Work Using the OM-D E-M1
« on: March 16, 2014, 10:54:55 am »

Greetings,

I'm a painter with limited experience using digital cameras and would appreciate some advise. I'd like to acquire a high quality macro lens for photographing paintings (oil on canvas) for publication and use on the web. I know a FF camera would be a better choice for copy work, due to it's larger sensor with superior dynamic range, but I need a small camera for shooting landscapes while on painting excursions and am considering the purchase of an Olympus E-M1 with the M. Zuiko Digital ED 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO for that purpose. I can't afford to invest in two separate systems and plan to use the E-M1 for the copy work as well. The Olympus 50mm f/2.0 Macro ED Zuiko Digital Lens with an MMF-3 Lens Mount Adapter looks like a good choice. The M. Zuiko Digital ED 60mm f/2.8 Macro may be a little too long for use in my rather small studio. I'll be shooting canvases that measure up to 48" across and have 18' of floor space. I'm not sure if the Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS is compatible with the E-M1 or if there might be other choices from other lens manufacturers. Any thoughts would be welcomed.

Thanks,
Nick

leuallen

Re: Choosing a Lens For Copy Work Using the OM-D E-M1
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 02:17:47 pm »

You could also consider an older manual focus macro. For your purposes manual focus would be preferable anyway. The Om 50mm 3.5 macro comes to mind but there are many others. These are used with adapters.

Larry

BJL

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 02:32:28 pm »

I'm not sure if the Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS is compatible with the E-M1 or if there might be other choices from other lens manufacturers.
For copy work, manual focus seems best and then almost any lens with a focus ring will work with the right adaptor. With targets as big as oil paintings, I doubt that it needs to be a macro lens, so some other good primes could be fine too, and that opens up some shorter focal length options to fit your studio space constraints better. There are well-reviewed MFT options at 25mm (Panasonic and Olympus), 30mm (Sigma) and 45mm (Olympus), not to mention many good SLR primes that could be used with adaptors.

P. S. I endorse thefl's suggestion below of the quite affordable Olympus Four Thirds (SLR) 35mm f/3.5 macro lens, if that focal length works for your needs: US$230, plus about $150 for a mount adaptor.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 03:07:00 pm by BJL »

thefl

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2014, 02:40:36 pm »

Mentioned Olympus 50/2.0 would be a very nice choice as it still is one of the optically most perfect lenses i ever had. Also the native Olympus 60/2.8 or Panasonic 45/2.8 (fully compatible) would be fully up to the job. If you need a wider macrolens also think about the Olympus 35/3.5, which happens to be very cheap this day but is a wonderfull lens itself.
Don't forget that you need an adapter for the 50/2.0 and 35/3.5, you don't need one for the 60/2.8 and 45/2.8.
I would choose the one with the most desired focal length, optically they are all very good. As long as you don't mess up the shot. ;)

scooby70

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 09:11:03 am »

I agree with the manual lens option and if going for manual lenses you could look at...

50mm f1.8.
The wide aperture may not be needed as I doubt you'll be shooting at f1.8 but these lenses are cheap and readily avaiable and you should be able to pick up an Olympus Zuiko or Minolta Rokkor for £20 or less.

28mm f2.8.
For a wider view if the subject is quite large and space to back up is an issue you could look at a 28mm f2.8 and again if going for a Zuiko or Rokkor they should be easy enough to find and you may be able to get one for under £30.

I've used all these lenses with cheap adapters bought off ebay for £10.

So, if going for a 50mm f1.8 and a 28mm f2.8 and an adapter you could get the lot for under £75, certainly under £100.

leuallen

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 09:50:37 am »

I would still go for a manual macro lens. The macro lenses are better corrected for flat field (which is what you would be shooting) and probably sharper in the corners. Just better corrected for the type of work you would be doing. The cost is not that much more than a normal lens.

Larry

scooby70

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 11:19:56 am »

I would still go for a manual macro lens. The macro lenses are better corrected for flat field (which is what you would be shooting) and probably sharper in the corners. Just better corrected for the type of work you would be doing. The cost is not that much more than a normal lens.

Larry

Whilst all that is true remember that with a Compact System Camera you're looking at a x2 crop from the middle of the frame which is hopefully the best bit so there really shouldn't be too many optical nasties to worry too much about.

Nick S.

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 07:33:49 pm »

Thanks to all who have replied. I really appreciate the information!

Deep

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2014, 10:58:14 pm »

I regularly do this work for a local artist.  For the last few years, I have used micro four thirds cameras.  Earlier, this was because the live view made it easier to be absolutely sure I was dead square to the subject, though now it is rare to find any camera without live view.  I currently use an EM1 and find the dynamic range more than capable, with the caveat that you want to allow some headroom in the blacks, which can get messy if you underexpose (not noise so much as something a bit like posterisation).

My favourite lens for this task is the Pen F mount G.Zuiko 40mm f1.4, which seems to have very little distortion and is nicely sharp across the field.  However, they are rare and I think the 35/3.5 four thirds macro mentioned by others would be your ideal choice.  It really is superb and costs peanuts.  I have also used the 12-60/2.8-4 and 12-40/2.8, which have little distortion in the middle of their zoom range.

Far more problematic than the lens is lighting.  Getting it dead even across a whole painting, with no reflection or flare is exceedingly difficult!
Don

Nick S.

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2014, 11:24:55 am »

Thanks for the information, Deep. I'm interested in your recommendations for lighting gear.

Nick

Deep

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2014, 01:48:29 pm »

I'm absolutely not the person to ask about lighting gear!  I'm far more into natural light.  For the painting reproductions, I found a garage with a large door - at the right distance in, happily, the light was very even over something the size of a painting.  Now the people have moved, I am having a lot of trouble with the issue of lighting.  With my last attempt, I thought I had it perfect but later noticed some light bleed around the edges from a light source behind the painting.  Amateur! 

If I was going to do a lot of this sort of work, I'd invest in proper studio lighting (I can use off-camera flash but that is anything but even).  I'd guess a large softbox either side could do the job but I'm reluctant to advise on this.
Don

Vladimirovich

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2014, 03:44:00 pm »

I'm a painter with limited experience using digital cameras and would appreciate some advise. I'd like to acquire a high quality macro lens for photographing paintings (oil on canvas) for publication and use on the web. I know a FF camera would be a better choice for copy work, due to it's larger sensor with superior dynamic range, but I need a small camera for shooting landscapes while on painting excursions and am considering the purchase of an Olympus E-M1 with the M. Zuiko Digital ED 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO for that purpose. I can't afford to invest in two separate systems and plan to use the E-M1 for the copy work as well. The Olympus 50mm f/2.0 Macro ED Zuiko Digital Lens with an MMF-3 Lens Mount Adapter looks like a good choice. The M. Zuiko Digital ED 60mm f/2.8 Macro may be a little too long for use in my rather small studio. I'll be shooting canvases that measure up to 48" across and have 18' of floor space. I'm not sure if the Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS is compatible with the E-M1 or if there might be other choices from other lens manufacturers. Any thoughts would be welcomed.

Thanks,
Nick

Sigma 60/2.8 - non macro, but very well executed lens... native m43 AF lens and very cheap (~$200 or so new)... as you are not going to shoot @ macro distances - no need to bother w/ macro lenses

http://www.lenstip.com/376.4-Lens_review-Sigma_A_60_mm_f_2.8_DN_Image_resolution.html
http://www.lenstip.com/376.5-Lens_review-Sigma_A_60_mm_f_2.8_DN_Chromatic_and_spherical_aberration.html

http://www.photozone.de/sony_nex/841-sigma60f28nex?start=1 (tested on APS-C NEX)

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2014, 04:50:10 pm »

You are a painter as I am. I use FF canon with a100mm 2.8 Macro and 50mm 3.5 macro, which are flat field lenses. A must for distortion free images. They work like a dream.

Peter

Nick S.

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2014, 08:03:49 pm »

Thanks, Vladimirovich and Peter. This forum is great!

AFairley

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2014, 08:06:37 pm »

Another plug for the Oly 4/3 35mm macro.  Virtually as sharp as the 50mm f2, the difference is a very slight barreling, easily fixed automatically in post these days, costs next to nothing and fully exposure and focus capabilities on any m4/3 camera -- though you will have to pay around $100 for a used 4/3 to m4/3 adapter.

Nick S.

« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2014, 08:37:22 am »

Thanks, AFairley and all who have replied.

Since I've received such excellent information from forum members concerning the E-M1, allow me to ask another related question. In addition to the E-M1, I'm considering the Pentax K-3. I'm looking for a relatively compact, light weight and weather-sealed body. For landscape glass, I want something that matches my own (normal) vision as closely as possible, so a focal length of about 43mm (in FF terms) seems best. I haven't found a weather-sealed prime for either camera with a similar focal length. The Panasonic LUMIX G 20mm f/1.7 is in the right neighborhood for the Olympus, but I'm concerned about taking a non weather-sealed lens into the field. The same goes for the Pentax FA 31mm f/1.8 Limited. Looking at zoom choices, the new Pentax DA 20-40mm f/2.8-4 ED Limited covers the focal lengths I'm looking for, but doesn't seem to be on par optically with the M. Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO. For copy work using the K3, the Pentax DA 35mm f/2.8 Macro Limited seems to be the best choice. How do forum members feel about the IQ and performance differences between the two systems. Thanks again for your kind replies and thoughtful treatment of a "newbie".

Thanks,
Nick

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2014, 08:48:03 am »

Hi Nick,

I also shoot m/43 and have used a CanonFD 50mm f3.5 macro, via an adapter, with excellent results.

Peter
Pages: [1]   Go Up