Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Would a mini-Alpa or mini viewcam be of any use?  (Read 1572 times)

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
Would a mini-Alpa or mini viewcam be of any use?
« on: March 15, 2014, 08:51:28 am »

Hi Guys -

As you know I'm looking at doing a CMOS camera design. I wonder whether a miniaturised 35 mm version or even smaller of the Alpa, or a tiny viewcam would be of any practical use with computer liveview, compared to TS on say a Sony 7R?

It looks like this would be a pretty easy design, but I wonder about the usefulness, as the price of a setup would still be $3K or so.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Rob C

Re: Would a mini-Alpa or mini viewcam be of any use?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2014, 10:27:20 am »

Hi Guys -

As you know I'm looking at doing a CMOS camera design. I wonder whether a miniaturised 35 mm version or even smaller of the Alpa, or a tiny viewcam would be of any practical use with computer liveview, compared to TS on say a Sony 7R?

It looks like this would be a pretty easy design, but I wonder about the usefulness, as the price of a setup would still be $3K or so.

Edmund

There was a 35mm monorail during the 50s or 60s called the Kennedy, I think; it turned out to be too small for bellows etc. to function properly and so it faded the great fade. I doubt a digi back would make any difference to the problems up front.

Rob C

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2014, 10:42:23 am »

Hi,

What would you think about a tiltable sensor? Another idea may be something like the Hasselblad flexbody.

Best regards
Erik

Hi Guys -

Edmund
Erik Kaffehr

Geoff_C

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2014, 11:48:33 am »

I was thinking about a titlable sensor as well.  Would it be possible to have a tilting and shifting d800 sensor in a camera that mounts MF lenses?

If that's possible, do you think canikon would ever offer something similar with an aps-c sensor and FF lenses?

torger

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2014, 04:57:21 pm »

Yes I think a mini view cam would be useful. However it needs a lens line. 90mm image circles for a 24x36mm sensor would be overkill, but the Rodenstock Digaron-S lens line which has 70mm image circle would be a good match (always thought 70mm is a bit smallish for 44x33). With current Sony CMOS we probably will get bad crosstalk issues on the wides though.

For longer lenses people are already attaching Sony A7r to existing view cameras, like the Rollei X-Act2 or Arca-Swiss MF-2. There's a risk that since the sensor won't handle wide angles well a digiback won't provide more features than just attaching an A7r.

If you could provide a sexy (sort of) integrated system, camera and all, something that looks like a mini alpa or a mini techno that would certainly sell a few I think, but that's not as realistic I think.

When CMOS sensors are say 50+ megapixels there's another challenge, it will be very difficult to make a camera with movements that is precise enough to serve such a small imaging surface (mostly parallelism). For tech cams up to 4x5 I think the reduced precision requirements on the camera itself (meaning you have less issues of blurry sides due to too low parallelism or lens sample variations etc) is the largest advantage of larger imaging surface, rather than look.

But again everything is easier for tabletop photography, parallelism is much less of an issue when you work with short DoF, and you won't need wides. But as said, who's going to attach a 36x24 tethered digiback instead of an A7r in that case?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 05:04:41 pm by torger »

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2014, 05:04:53 pm »

I think it would make sense if it could be used with a tablet as viewing screen and if it would support a sane amount of movements along with a good resolution.
One big part of the fun and usability of a view camera apart from the movements is the large screen with real live view.
I imagine a small camera with full movements and an attached tablet screen which allows focus peeking at every spot with a tap of a finger.
Resolution should match the precision of the workflow and the requirements for this type of photography.
I guess getting good and precise mechanics is the bigger problem here then the electronics part.
Cheers
~Chris
Pages: [1]   Go Up