Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why the camera industry is in the dumper  (Read 14614 times)

dreed

Re: Why the camera industry is in the dumper
« Reply #80 on: March 18, 2014, 07:03:59 am »

Those 1000 frames a day I shot on my last trip to Tibet yielded enough keepers to pay for the trip and then some. I do believe, like I said in a previous post, that having the possibility of shooting practically unlimited number of frames does result in better quality of top ten frames than stingy old school shooting with film. The rest 990 per day can go to the digital hell or heaven, costing nothing.

The 1000 frames a day thing is a representation that you as a photographer are spending less time thinking about what you're taking a photograph of (and how it will end up.) I know, I fall into the same basket: with digital it is very easy to activate the shutter 100s or more times a day with little regard to what is produced. Tricky situation encountered? Activate HDR and shoot a threesome to get over it.

Jason DiMichele

• Jason DiMichele - Fine Art Photographer and Printer
« Reply #81 on: March 18, 2014, 07:15:05 am »

The 1000 frames a day thing is a representation that you as a photographer are spending less time thinking about what you're taking a photograph of (and how it will end up.) I know, I fall into the same basket: with digital it is very easy to activate the shutter 100s or more times a day with little regard to what is produced. Tricky situation encountered? Activate HDR and shoot a threesome to get over it.

In reality the same time is spent either way, either at the time of capture or via post processing. If one is indecisive during the shooting stage I will bet that the time they spend post processing is even longer and one of the allures of digital is that it allows a million post processing iterations. My style of shooting, even with digital 35mm gear is the same disciplined, methodical approach I had when shooting medium and large format film. I think people must trust their instinct more when shooting and not begin to lean towards allowing digital to save their shot. Now it does depend on what you're shooting I suppose but I've never shot anywhere near a 1000 shots a day shooting my subject matter, regardless of where I'm travelling.

Cheers,
Jay
Jason DiMichele
Fine Art Photographer an

mezzoduomo

« Reply #82 on: March 18, 2014, 09:28:57 am »

Hmm, perhaps you’d care to step out from behind that piece of soft fruit?

There's something quite wonderful about this ^ expression, but I have to admit I don't know exactly what it means or where it comes from.  Meanwhile, the mildly menacing and taunting tone is obvious and fascinating.  Klaban (or anyone else familiar with the phrase) care to elaborate or explain this to me?

mezzoduomo

« Reply #83 on: March 18, 2014, 10:18:45 am »

Take a look at PhotoEcosse's avatar.

Ahhhh...Thank you!  I was kind of hoping for an obscure literary reference, or...something.   ;D

Isaac

« Reply #84 on: March 18, 2014, 12:11:35 pm »

I should add that my point was about anonymity and lack of accountability.

What a pity you chose that distraction instead of responding to the points that were being discussed.

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #85 on: March 18, 2014, 02:02:45 pm »

More personal tit for tat and this thread will be closed.

Justinr

• Ink+images
« Reply #86 on: March 18, 2014, 02:44:02 pm »

More personal tit for tat and this thread will be closed.

That would be a blessing.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up