Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Replacement for Tokina 11-16 lens (Canon 7D)?  (Read 3542 times)

Bob_B

• It's all about light
    • Robert Belas Photography
Replacement for Tokina 11-16 lens (Canon 7D)?
« on: March 14, 2014, 10:20:06 am »

Hi,

A few years ago, I bought a Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 ATX lens for landscape photography using my Canon 7D. All my other zoom lenses are Canon L lenses, which are sharp and a joy to use. I'm not so happy with the Tokina. In my hands, even with manual focus, its images are soft even at it's optimum aperture (at least to my eyes). While I may not be a great photographer, I know a sharp image when I see one. So, the Tokina's softness is driving me nuts.
   And so, I have been thinking about buying a new wide angle lens for my 7D. It would be nice to have a zoom, but I'm quite content with a prime lens (< 16mm), just as long as it's sharp. Canon has a couple of nice choices (L lenses), but they're quite pricey. If you have advice or opinions about a suitable wide angle lens to replace my Tokina, please let me know.

Your replies are appreciated. Thanks,

Bob
Robert Belas Photography
www.belasphoto.com

NancyP

Re: Replacement for Tokina 11-16 lens (Canon 7D)?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 06:50:40 pm »

Tokina zoom range options:
Canon 10-22mm
Sigma 8-16mm f4.6-5.6

Inexpensive manual focus primes:
Samyang fisheye projection 8mm f/3.5
Samyang 14mm f/2.8 (FF)
Samyang 16mm f/2 (APS-C only coverage)
The astrophotographers are all over the Samyangs due to their cheap cost and admirable lack of significant coma aberration wide open. Most other brand lenses are not as corrected wide open. Astrophotographers use manual focus.

Some lenses have filter threads, some don't.

I debated between the Tokina zoom, the Canon zoom, and the Sigma zoom, and gave the Sigma zoom a go. It is a fun lens with an amazing 8 mm more-or-less-rectilinear-projection wide end, with the expected barrel distortion. My copy is sharpest at 8 - 10mm, which is where I use it most of the time. Sigma at 16mm is no sharper than my (quite good) Canon 15-85mm walkaround lens. The Canon 10-22mm is highly regarded, and has filter threads, important for some people. That's my biggest problem with the Sigma - no cheap filter solution - I didn't think I would need them, but I have since discovered the joys of ND graduated filters and Big Stopper.

I also have the Samyang 14mm and have used it on both APS-C and FF, mostly for astrophotography. It is sharp in the center and meh at the extreme corners at f/2.8, and sharpens in the corner by f/5.6 or so. It is a fun lens and an amazing bargain often on sale for $300.00 USD. A relatively affordable filter system is being introduced in the EU right now, and should be sold here soon.

The Samyang 8mm fisheye is popular, but Sigma also has slightly more expensive fisheyes with different characteristics - if you don't need full sky coverage (and circular image on APS-C), the Samyang will do nicely and is cheap.

I know little about the relatively new Samyang 16mm f/2.0 with APS-C only coverage.

stever

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 10:43:00 pm »

I've had both the Canon 10-22 and still have the Tokina 11-16.  I kept the Tokina for the larger aperture but don't think there is a noticeable difference in IQ (which is what the available tests concluded as well).

Wide angle lens availability and performance is one of several reasons why I mostly shoot FF and only use the 7D with long lenses.

Bob_B

• It's all about light
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2014, 09:02:42 am »

NancyP: Thank you for your reply. I've not heard of the Samyang lenses, so I'll have to do some investigating. $300 certainly is a great price.
Robert Belas Photography
www.belasphoto.com

Bob_B

• It's all about light
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2014, 09:05:34 am »

Thanks stever. My plan is to eventually move to a FF camera, but not in my current financial state. I think I'll look into buying a used Canon 10-22mm, if I go that direction.
Robert Belas Photography
www.belasphoto.com

BobDavid

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 11:13:23 am »

The Tokina will cover a FF at 16mm. It stays sharp across the frame, linear distortion is controlled, some CA along the edges, but mostly correctable in ACR.
Pages: [1]   Go Up