Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Alvord Desert (when to go)  (Read 1477 times)

sanfairyanne

Alvord Desert (when to go)
« on: March 13, 2014, 06:15:20 pm »

I would like to go and visit Alvord Desert Oregon and I wondered if anyone can advise on a favourable month. I looked at a weather chart from Wikipedia which indicates that the rainiest months are in the first half of the year, April - June. I could just about make it for June, I'm visualising interesting skies with perhaps a sheen of water on the playa. I'm thinking shallow water that still shows the detail of the playa and potentially interesting skies.

Other than these early months are their dates when one might find storm clouds, perhaps in the height of summer ?

Many thanks in advance.

pcgpcg

• paulglasser
Re: Alvord Desert (when to go)
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 11:44:40 am »

As you may have determined by now, the playa is dry this year, and has been for several years now.  It will have a sheen immediately after a rainfall, but it dries within a few hours.  I wouldn't advise going during the summer, or anytime it's hot enough that storms will contain lightning, unless you are photographing from inside a closed vehicle.  Also, if you plan to drive on the playa, keep in mind that the slightest rain will leave you stranded without traction until the lakebed dries.
As a consolation prize, dry playa can produce some nice dust storms...
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 02:10:01 pm by pcgpcg »

sanfairyanne

Re: Alvord Desert (when to go)
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2014, 12:35:15 pm »

Thanks for your reply, I did actually go to Alvord Desert last May, the skies were very promising, however, I didn't find the detail I had hoped for in the playa, I moved on but I'm sure it has potential.
Pages: [1]   Go Up