Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Metal Prints - Long term opportunity or fad?  (Read 12901 times)

huguito

Re: Metal Prints - Long term opportunity or fad?
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2014, 01:48:58 pm »

Hi Rubo

About he aluminum sheet being printed on your video;

How thick is it?
Have you had to modify the printer or its possible to print it using the existing settings?
Has the sheet been treated with your own coatings or something I can get off the shelf? Do you sell yours? Or better yet can I buy sheets of aluminum ready to be printed on my 9600, using all colors, without modifying the printer or the inkset?
Thanks and sorry for the thousand questions

Hugo

rubo

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2014, 08:18:41 pm »

Hey Hugh, no worries. No need to modify the printer - stick the aluminum right into it - that piece is 0.020 gauge - whatever it is, use a micrometer or eyeball it to see how it compares to thickest canvas you've printed on. My printer (9700) has wider gap than yours, I think. As for the coating - I don't sell mine - yet - there are still some kinks to iron out, so that will coma later. Meanwhile you can get inkaid - from inkaid.com, works great (mine is better - you cannot spray inkaid, have to use roller or similar - leaves some streaks) - but it does a great job. As for the inkset - I don't know what you have in your printer, I'm running pigment inks. I get aluminum from a sheet metal company - don't have to be aluminum, tin works much better - and you can find lighter sheets of it - the same size. Then take it to a body shop have the prints clear coated. Good luck.

huguito

« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2014, 01:18:41 pm »

Thanks Rubo
When you say tin, you mean galvanized thin steel sheets right?
Hugo

rubo

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2014, 01:37:15 pm »

not even sure what it is - they call it tin, so do I - as long as it works...Just keep trying different materials -see what works for you and what you like better. another thing to do is to clear coat first, apply print coat, print, clear again - the results are fantastic, extra clear on the bottom adds amazing depth to the image

huguito

« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2014, 02:52:04 pm »

I just ordered a handful of sheets of  aluminum in 0.20

I like the idea of a thick coat of clear gloss as a base for the image, I have some ink-aid at home I never tried
Its about time to start experimenting with it

Where do you buy/order your sheets of metal? I am in the Los Angeles/Long Beach area, in California

And thanks a lot for sharing,

Hugo

rubo

« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2014, 03:01:07 pm »

I'm in Glendale - isn't it something? I get aluminum from Industrial Metal Supply in Sunland

jferrari

« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2014, 06:02:17 pm »

I just ordered a handful of sheets of  aluminum in 0.20

I hope that's just a typo. That's almost a quarter of an inch thick and will definitely not fit in your printer. Good luck with your project.
Nothing changes until something changes.

huguito

« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2014, 06:33:13 pm »

I mean to say 0.020
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up