Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Calumet Photo is done  (Read 18702 times)

GregShapps

• http://www.shappsphotography.com
Calumet Photo is done
« on: March 13, 2014, 09:45:22 am »

FYI - Calumet appears to have shut its doors overnight.  The website is gone, the ebay store is gone, phone system is still  up but no one there to answer.

GregShapps

Re: Calumet Photo is done
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 10:32:43 am »

From Facebook:

Calumet Photo
After 75 years of business it is with a heavy heart that we announce our immediate closing in the United States (our European stores will continue). It has been a joy to share our passion for photography with you all of these years. We'll miss each other and we'll miss all of our customers. Thank you for everything.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 10:48:24 am »

Shocking! That's really a bad sign of the times. Maybe B&H was just to much competition?
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Some Guy

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 11:08:31 am »

Shocking! That's really a bad sign of the times. Maybe B&H was just to much competition?

More likely would be Amazon, Alibaba, and eBay.  Adorama often appears as an Amazon shipper.

On the west coast, I get stuff out of China faster than New York.  B&H often takes 9 days with ground shipping, or even longer in observance of their plethora of holiday closures.  Amazon is faster depending on their closer warehouse/shipper location.  China and Hong Kong 3 days and often free shipping, even with customs at times.  Very odd, but they seem to jump an extra day due to the timeline too.

Still too bad for Calumet.  I liked going into their store, but it was never overly busy as against Samy's in LA.  Calumet seemed to cater to the pro crowd which seems to be dwindling breed as well, and Samy's to anyone.

Time will take some others down no doubt.  Canoga Park closed in the past few months too.  Wouldn't be surprised if Bel Air Camera or Mel Pierce were next.

SG

JV

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 11:21:01 am »

Very sad.  They were pretty much the only professional store in Philadelphia.

Rob C

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 11:29:42 am »

From Facebook:

Calumet Photo
After 75 years of business it is with a heavy heart that we announce our immediate closing in the United States (our European stores will continue). It has been a joy to share our passion for photography with you all of these years. We'll miss each other and we'll miss all of our customers. Thank you for everything.

The question becomes: for how long?

I'm sorry for the shops' owners and staff, but not for the photographers who fondle in real time and then buy elsewhere online. Serves 'em right if they have a local alternative they so abuse and then find they have just killed off their free gropes.

I used to stay with one dealer; it paid dividends in service and in many other little ways - even got a Pentax calendar a few times - still have the Hans Feurer one with girls wearing brilliant, wet cheesecloth...

Even getting E6 processed in pro labs had its pleasures - you met folks you knew and talked a bit of shop. That either depressed you or made you feel smug. At least you knew you were alive.

Rob C

bcooter

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2014, 12:08:32 pm »

The question becomes: for how long?

I'm sorry for the shops' owners and staff, but not for the photographers who fondle in real time and then buy elsewhere online. Serves 'em right if they have a local alternative they so abuse and then find they have just killed off their free gropes.

I used to stay with one dealer; it paid dividends in service and in many other little ways - even got a Pentax calendar a few times - still have the Hans Feurer one with girls wearing brilliant, wet cheesecloth...

Even getting E6 processed in pro labs had its pleasures - you met folks you knew and talked a bit of shop. That either depressed you or made you feel smug. At least you knew you were alive.

Rob C

Yea, I agree, but those days are gone, gone and gone.

No much more interaction at a lab or proshop, no more face to face dealings.  I't all from the click of a mobile phone.

Through the years I've gone into Calumet  in NY, Chicago, LA, San Francisco and rarely walked out with what I intended.

They seemed to go from some stocking pro equipment to small amounts of stock, to calumet brands, to everything is from the warehouse.

It's just a reflection of the economy and competition like Amazon where everybody checks every price online.

I't's also a reflection that professional still photography is marginalized in a stagnate economy.

In a way it's a shame, because a few of the people I knew and liked, in other ways I'm very surprised they lasted this long.

The world has changed and there are few dealers left where you can walk in, talk to someone in earnest about equipment, hold it, try it, test it and buy it.

Yesterday during our lunch break I walked over to B+H to pick up an item and went upstairs to cameras.

I haven't physically been in there in a few years and it just breaks your brain.   It's like the world's biggest electronic bazaar on speed.

The semi pro cameras (I guess they're mostly all semi pro now) were just swamped with customers and sales people and they were just banging on fujis, olympus, panasonic, canons, nikons and people were grabbing them one after the other.

It was like those tented shopping areas in Bangkok where people are scrapping over scarfs and fake izod shirts, obviously without the electronic flashing.

Honestly you could hardly tell the  difference between any of the camera brands, but once again it just illustrates that the professional vs. the amateur world is 180 degrees apart, though digital has made even the lowest of cameras pretty good.

The Nikon area is the most confusing, because they all look the same with long numbers like 6100, 7100 or something.   I honestly wouldn't know or care which one I picked up.

There are gold, silver white, round, square, teardrop reflectors lining every inch of the store, lights glowing, most of the brands I wouldn't know.

Then going back in to the studio with large professional equipment like big bens, clamps, stands, is just a different world.

A decade ago the Calumet stores had a large section dedicated to professional equipment, like what I just mentioned, but that slowly morphed into printers, ink and go pros.

I've kept wondering why the Olympus omd 1, the fuji xti and cameras like that didn't tether and at B+H it kind of hit me that 99.999% of the people in there wouldn't know or care to ever tether to a computer.

Anyway, as busy as B+H is a sales guy told me that in store sales is only 10% of their gross, the rest from internet and call ins.

At the large store in LA, S___s,  I don't even go into the store.   I buy from a manager in the warehouse.

So if your a pro and you gripe about the prices of specialized dealers like CI or DT, just remember, when you call them you actually get a person that knows about photography and will actually offer professional service.  

IMO

BC
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 12:33:50 pm by bcooter »

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2014, 12:23:39 pm »

Man, that is sad.  A few decades ago I drove to the Chicago store and outfitted my fledging business. Speedo strobes, a Horseman 4x5 and three Nikon lenses and finally a Bronica SQ and three lenses.  Man I was in heaven.  Over the years I purchased from them -via catalog and phone but gradually found B&H became my go to internet supplier.

I still visit my local camera store and buy from time to time just to help keep them alive, but their inventory grows smaller each time I visit.  They did sell me my O-MD.

Goodbye old friend.
Craig Lamson Photo

calindustries

• http://www.craiglacourt.com
Calumet Photo is done
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2014, 12:37:29 pm »

The last thing I bought from Calumet was ink for my ipf5000 (last big ticket I bought from them) and it was outdated. Most any time I asked for anything it was in the Illinois warehouse (I'm in nyc). I could walk across the street to fotocare and get what I wanted with usually better informed sales people. Last time I was involved with a rental from calumet was years ago from their Chicago location. The gear was delivered to shoot location (fly in, shoot overnight, fly out). Many things were missing from the order and they didn't do much to fix it the next day (as we had to stay an extra day because we couldn't shoot). I never went back. They were my go to by UPS starting out in the Midwest, but failed to impress me for the last decade. Sad

GregShapps

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2014, 12:38:45 pm »

UPDATE from FB:

Calumet Photo
Stay tuned, as we are exploring opportunities to reopen select locations to keep serving our customers. We will post any updates here if there are any.

JoeKitchen

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2014, 01:26:32 pm »

I find this really sad!  

I primarily bought most of my equipment from two dealers, and one was Calumet.  Like was said earlier, I really enjoy the fact that I could call either dealer and speak to them, ask questions, and actually have them know the answer or find it out for me.  Calumet was not my camera dealer, but almost every thing else I bought from them, and they were just a phone call away.  No matter how large or small the order, I was always dealt with professionally.  

Dealing with B&H, or the other retailers, always pisses me off.  They never know anything beyond what the manufactuers writes on the box, and trying to get them to put something aside for you is nearly impossible.  But now, it looks like I will have to order more stuff from B&H more often, and worry about keeping track of and filing use tax.  

The other thing that upsets me is that in Philly, Calumet was one of only two rental houses.  I live maybe 10 blocks from the Philly location, so renting was always easy.  The other location is an hour drive from me.  
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2014, 01:48:21 pm »

I’m in Cleveland and have been using Dodd Camera for many years. Last year they opened a location in Cincinnati that has been doing pretty well. A month ago they moved a great resource, Nathan, to their Chicago store to bolster a growing rental business there.

It always sucks to see a business lose the fight. However, I am not convinced the old dealer model is dead. From what I understand Dodd will expand their operations in Chicago to help fill the gap left by Calumet. They are not as flashy or well-known as CI or others, but they do business just as bcooter described. I “…can walk in, talk to someone in earnest about equipment, hold it, try it, test it and buy it.” I’m currently testing an ArTec. I will be trying an IQ250 in a few weeks, and also checking out a Leica WATE for my a7r (and their price is cheaper than B&H).

So I still think there are isolated organizations that make it work by listening and servicing our needs.

Dave

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2014, 01:59:51 pm »

Calumet is one of the larger shops here in Hamburg,
but I only have bought a Gemini 500 Strobe kit from them years ago.
I've always been at a smaller shop only local here (www.ipshamburg.de) -
always got best counselling from them and they stopped me a couple of times
from buying the wrong stuff.
The difference to online sellers is there but actually its not THAT big.
For me their knowledge is worth it, definitely.
Cheers
~Chris

GregShapps

« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 02:59:09 pm by GregShapps »

bcooter

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2014, 03:49:14 pm »

Bankruptcy

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/breaking/chi-calumet-photographic-closes-20140313,0,868130.story

How can you have more assets than liabilities and file for chapter 7?

Not telling the employees (if that is true) is not cool.

IMO

BC
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 03:55:27 pm by bcooter »

plugsnpixels

• http://www.plugsandpixels.com
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2014, 05:08:31 pm »

More info here.
Digital imaging blog, software discounts:
www.plugsandpixels.com/blog

jduncan

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2014, 05:09:15 pm »

How can you have more assets than liabilities and file for chapter 7?

IMO

BC

Because they don't: http://business-bankruptcies.com/cases/calumetphoto-com-llc

With so much troll in the internet we tent not to read the comments, but sometimes they are the most valuable source of information.

Best regards,

J. Duncan
english is not my first language, an I k

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2014, 05:19:14 pm »

WOW:
Assets:     $0 to $50,000
Liabilities: $1,000,001 to $10 million

GregShapps

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2014, 05:40:41 pm »

IMO

BC

Everyone one of my friends that worked at Calumet/Chicago all said the same thing - they knew nothing and all received a phone call last night telling them not to come into work today as they were closing.

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2014, 07:19:16 pm »

You'd hope they were working on some financing deal or something up to the very last minute thinking it would come through and they wouldn't close….
Rolleiflex USA
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up