Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Reflections  (Read 1854 times)

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
Reflections
« on: March 13, 2014, 07:45:29 am »

I love shooting reflections  ;D

Dave

Walt Roycraft

• roycraftart
Re: Reflections
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 08:16:45 am »

Beautiful shot. For me the beauty is in the reflections of the trees near the shoreline. There is a mystery and beauty there. I would explore a crop to emphasize  that.
Walter Roycraft
http://www.roycraftart.c

francois

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 12:36:52 pm »

I agree with Walt, with a crop, it would be more mysterious but it's already a very nice image.
Francois

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 12:45:46 pm »

Very nice. On one hand, the rectangular format gives the reflection context and some contrasting tones. On the other hand, the rocks top-left could be a distraction. Darken them a tad?

Praki

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 02:28:26 pm »

Like it a lot. Where was this taken?

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 03:33:18 pm »

Nice shot, well done!
Cheers
~Chris

Tony Jay

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2014, 08:35:48 am »

Simply gorgeous!

Tony Jay

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2014, 03:44:32 pm »

Thanks everyone  :)

Like it a lot. Where was this taken?

It was taken at Loch Shiel and only a few yards away from the side of the road. As you drive down Glen Shiel towards the Shiel bridge and Loch Duich, it is on the right - if you look at the Google map link above, I was stood about half way between where the text "Loch Shiel" and the "A87" on the small grassy spit of land. There is absolutely no parking around that area, so you have to drive quite a bit further down the road and then walk back, then go through the scrub trees at the side of the road on the loch side and there you are - Oh and wear wellies, it is very muddy down there near to the loch. You also need to be there on a clear bright sunny winter/very early spring day, with no wind and about two hours before sunset if you want to get a similar shot.

Beautiful shot. For me the beauty is in the reflections of the trees near the shoreline. There is a mystery and beauty there. I would explore a crop to emphasize  that.

I have many shots of this scene, verticals, horizontals, stitched pano's, bracketed sets etc, because the light as I wanted it, I knew would only last for 10 or maybe 15 minutes, so I threw every thing I could at it in a sort of photographic frenzy, all very exciting, hands sweating, heart racing, breathing hard, you know the kind of thing that happens to us photographers occasionally, where even if a bomb had gone off behind me, I probably wouldn't have noticed.

Very nice. On one hand, the rectangular format gives the reflection context and some contrasting tones. On the other hand, the rocks top-left could be a distraction. Darken them a tad?

Yes I did try flattening out the tones, but the way you see it here, is more or less how the light was, so for this particular version I decided to leave well alone, but I have other versions and several zoomed in pano's, where I am shooting over to my right and up the loch and the sun is not quite so hot on the background mountain, so the rocks are more evenly lit and more detailed.

Simply gorgeous!

Tony Jay

Thank you Tony, that is so kind of you to say that  ;)

Dave
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 03:46:06 pm by Dave (Isle of Skye) »
Pages: [1]   Go Up