Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: how to shoot remotely and have the a7r sleep in between shots  (Read 2014 times)

wintersnowman

I need the a7r to take 1 shot every 15 minutes or so and have the camera last for more than 5 hours (with the camera going to sleep in between shots). Any ideas how I can achieve this?

Ideally I would like the camera to sleep in between shots and awaken with the remote whenever I'm ready to shoot. But I read that for auto sleep to function, remote control in the camera settings has to be turned off. So I guess the option of using any IR remote with the a7r goes out of the window here.

Now, with the Playmemories remote app, is it possible to use it like an IR remote? Switching on the app/wifi connection whenever I need to take a shot and let it be on standby for the rest of the time?

Swizzy

Re: how to shoot remotely and have the a7r sleep in between shots
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 08:05:25 am »

I doubt if app will allow you to wake the camera from sleep since the connection will most likely be lost when the camera sleeps. Easy enough to try though. I did read somewhere that in order to use a wired remote you have to engage the camera's remote setting - very odd.

Telecaster

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 03:19:36 pm »

Shooting time-lapse sequences is what led me to scrap the A7r for an upcoming photo trip. The camera needs to stay awake for the remote app to maintain its connection. This is acceptable to me...the deal-breaker is that a single A7r battery doesn't have enough juice to handle 600 or so exposures over a 60–90 minute time span.

-Dave-

Jason Denning

• http://www.jasondenning.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 06:55:56 am »

Sony could enable a sleep mode where the sensor is turned off for sure, it would be a good idea if they enabled this with a custom button so you don't have to turn the whole camera off, in a studio for example.

Pages: [1]   Go Up