Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mangrove  (Read 1101 times)

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
Mangrove
« on: March 12, 2014, 07:10:34 pm »

A photograph should never need explaining. Be that as it may, some backstory might be helpful. If you don't want backstory and you just want the photograph to speak for itself than click on the thumbnail...

My stated goal in photography is to capture the beauty inherent in nature. It's there, but we too often miss it. Not the grand obvious beauty - we see that - but the subtle beauty that's going on right in front of our eyes that we too often miss. That's the beauty I am always on the lookout for.

Being a naturalist and geographer, I can't photograph without also being somewhat illustrative of biology, environment and, especially with landscapes, geography. So I'm always on the look out for those quintessential images that evoke a sense of "place".

The task I set myself for today was: how to capture the essence of a mangrove - the darkness; the randomness; the contrast of deep, deep shadows and brilliant tropical sunshine; the total lack of anything resembling balance; the structure...

You be the judge - have I succeeded?
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: Mangrove
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 08:16:36 pm »

As soon as I read "A photograph should never need explaining," I clicked on the thumbnail.

I find the photo absolutely stunning, and very different from your recent Canadian winter scenes.

And then, being curious, I had to read the back story. Thanks for that, but really, this one shows the beauty of nature with no story needed.
Do you have mangroves in Ontario?
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 09:23:37 pm »

Definitely not! Ontario just received another 25cm of snow!
We're spending March Break down in the sunny south of Florida in Naples. Today it hit 30°C; I think I would prefer the snow as we are not here for the heat, but for the wildlife and the sub-tropical flora. But i'm not complaining!
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 02:34:57 am »

Great image, worth being printed large.

I imagine a bunch of possible different interpretations in post,
but that is totally optional and depends on ones homo ludens genes.

My ideas would be manual dodging and burning of large structures
and playing with local sharpening and blurring to enhance the sense of threedimensionality,
but this is totally a matter of taste and fun in experimentation - the image is already wonderful.

Cheers
~Chris

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 10:25:53 am »

As soon as I read "A photograph should never need explaining," I clicked on the thumbnail.

My reaction exactly!

The task I set myself for today was: how to capture the essence of a mangrove - the darkness; the randomness; the contrast of deep, deep shadows and brilliant tropical sunshine; the total lack of anything resembling balance; the structure...

You be the judge - have I succeeded?

I think so, although it's tricky to be sure when looking at a small image onscreen: the detail just overwhelms. A large print would probably be a different matter.

Jeremy

francois

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 12:26:47 pm »

Superb image! Yes, for me at least, you were successful and it' no easy task.
Francois

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2014, 08:53:24 pm »

Terry, this is an excellent shot, a frame full of edge to edge interest and detail that you look into, yet it also has a subtle two dimensional abstract quality to it, which is just the type of work I really enjoy looking at - probably needs printing really, really big to fully appreciate this piece  :)

Bravo!

Dave

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2014, 12:32:42 am »

I find the photo absolutely stunning, and very different from your recent Canadian winter scenes.

And then, being curious, I had to read the back story. Thanks for that, but really, this one shows the beauty of nature with no story needed.

Me too!

And Ontario barely has Magnolias.  Should I mention ours are in bloom now?  :P

Anyway, very well done. Thanks for sharing it!

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t
Pages: [1]   Go Up