Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: How Fine Art Photographs Are Shown  (Read 7191 times)

alainbriot

• http://www.beautiful-landscape.com
Re: How Fine Art Photographs Are Sold
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2014, 12:59:25 pm »

Hello everyone,

The goal of this essay is to introduce my new book How Photographs are Sold.  This purpose is clearly indicated at the start of the essay to prevent any possible confusion.   My goal in writing this book is to help photographers sell their work successfully and profitably by avoiding having to attend 'the school of hard knocks.'  I went to this 'institution' and I did not care much for the 'classes' I had to take.  By sharing what I learned I hope to make it easier for others to be successful.

My two marketing books are extremely popular with photographers.  This is why I decided to feature this announcement in an essay.  This is the first time I use an essay for this purpose.  I publish a new book every 2 to 4 years, so this is far from being a regular practice.

As evidence of how popular these books are, as of today, March 15th 2014, they are ranked number 1 and 2 on Amazon's Best Sellers list of Professional Photography books. A screenshot taken minutes ago is featured below.  Amazon's Professional Photography section is very competitive however few authors, if any, write with authority on the subject of selling fine art photography.  

Of particular importance is the fact that my books outsell the 2014 Photographer's Market which has traditionally been a best selling book because it lists an extensive number of outlets where one can sell photographs.

Both books have 5 star rankings, further evidence of how useful readers find them to be.

Finally, I selected the story in this essay 'Telling Stories to sell your work' because this technique helped me close thousands of sales.  Rather than being 'just a teaser,' as someone said on the forum, it is one of the most powerful salesmanship techniques used to sell fine art photographs.  It is provided to you free of charge in this essay. You can order the book if you want to learn more, or you can just say 'Thank you very much' and apply what is taught in this story to sell your work.  There is no obligation to buy anything.

For the record I sold millions of dollars worth of fine art photographs in my career, nearly all through direct sales between myself and customers.  I am far from being only a teacher and a writer.  

Best regards,

Alain Briot

« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 01:39:17 pm by alainbriot »
Alain Briot
Author of Mastering Landscape Photography
http://www.beautiful-landscape.com

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2014, 03:02:47 pm »

... Rather than being 'just a teaser,' as someone said on the forum, it is one of the most powerful salesmanship techniques used to sell fine art photographs ...

Actually I wrote: "I didn't expect anything overly informative from this article going any further than a teaser.", which should express I didn't expect more than a teaser from the announcement.
I didn't mean to say your article was just a teaser.
Actually I think it was more, though I personally find your series about vision, color harmonies and the many others much more interesting and informative.
But that might be, because I am not in the world of photography business.

Cheers
~Chris

laughingbear

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2014, 08:42:08 pm »

...one of the most powerful salesmanship techniques used to sell fine art photographs. It is provided to you free of charge in this essay...

...I sold millions of dollars worth of fine art photographs in my career...

.. I am far from being only a teacher and a writer....

You couldn't make it up... roflmao

Isaac

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2014, 08:45:24 pm »

darr

Re: How Fine Art Photographs Are Shown
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2014, 11:17:09 am »

With all the art photographers there are today, I would imagine a book that claims to show how others have successfully made money selling their photography would rise to the top of the heap, kinda like a magic bullet. It use to be you had a much better chance of going to art/photography school to become a pro shooting commercial jobs, but today, everybody is a photographer, and everybody wants to know how to sell their work. With Getty Images changing the playing field recently with: The world's largest photo service just made its pictures free to use, I would wait and see what is on the horizon before I put my hard earned cash into a marketing strategy that may be affected by this recent economic indicator.

alainbriot

« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2014, 01:31:03 pm »

With all the art photographers there are today, I would imagine a book that claims to show how others have successfully made money selling their photography would rise to the top of the heap, kinda like a magic bullet. It use to be you had a much better chance of going to art/photography school to become a pro shooting commercial jobs, but today, everybody is a photographer, and everybody wants to know how to sell their work. With Getty Images changing the playing field recently with: The world's largest photo service just made its pictures free to use, I would wait and see what is on the horizon before I put my hard earned cash into a marketing strategy that may be affected by this recent economic indicator.

Getty's move is interesting I'm just not sure if it will affect fine art photography print sales. I haven't seen any decline in my print sales since Getty's decision to give their photographer's work away for free.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 02:09:44 pm by alainbriot »
Alain Briot
Author of Mastering Landscape Photography
http://www.beautiful-landscape.com

Colorado David

« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2014, 01:34:07 pm »

Getty is taking a back-handed swing at rights holders after their recent spectacular loss in court.

darr

« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2014, 04:49:24 pm »

Anything that lowers the bar for pricing photography, or makes the availability of it for free, will change the way it is valued.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up