Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: practical compendium or lens shade for wide angle with movements  (Read 3731 times)

gebseng

Hi everyone,

As I painfully found out yesterday during an indoor shoot with lots of spotlights on the ceilings, my new setup (Credo 40 with SK 5.6/28mm Digitar on Linhof Techno) produces significantly more lens flare than my old setup with the Aptus 75S and the SK 5.6/35mm Digitar.

With the old setup, sporadic use of the Flare Buster (love that product shot...) mostly worked for me, but now I really have to try to keep all incidence of light sources outside the FOV shaded off as good as possible (often from above and from one or two sides at the same time).

Since the 5.6/28mm has a huge front element (110mm with center filter, 95mm without), the Linhof compendium won't work, and is quite a hassle to operate anyway (not easy to compensate shift movements, has to be removed for operating the lens, etc.).

So, if you have experiences with rise-fall-shift friendly and practical compendium or lens shade solutions, I would appreciate your input! Maybe something like miniature barn doors as used in theatre lighting?

best,

Gebhard

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Re: practical compendium or lens shade for wide angle with movements
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 01:01:42 pm »

I don't know if it will fit to the camera, but the Lee Wide angle hood is an excellent solution.  Should allow for movement with the 28 Schneider.   

The only issue is the front filter thread you have with the 28mm Schneider.  If you are using the CF on the 28mm I don't think that the Lee will mount.   

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

sgilbert

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 01:21:04 pm »

Lee offer a 105mm adapter:  http://www.leefilters.com/index.php/camera/system#rf-filter-system

Wouldn't that allow use of the Lee hood?  You could contact these people:  http://www.2filter.com/Leefilters/LeeFilters4x4.html

I've found them to be helpful.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 01:26:36 pm by sgilbert »

gebseng

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 03:24:56 pm »

Thanks Paul and Sgilbert! Actually, I would prefer something that does not mount on the lens itself, since I have to change lenses frequently,

geb

ben730

• www.benhuggler.com
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 06:04:51 pm »

Hy Gebhard
The Sinar Lens Shade is the best solution I found till now. (http://image2output.com/artec-lens-shade.html)
If you buy the adapter for every lens, you can switch quickly.
The Lens shades and the adapters are too expensive and no high tech products. But it's the most useful and the lightest solution I found
for my Cambo WRS with Schneiders & Rodenstocks...........
I'm not shure if it fits the 28 digitar with CF. But you should call up Sinar (0041 44 217 80 30) an ask them.
They are competent and they normally can solve problems, if you have the money. 8)
Regards,
Ben

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2014, 06:41:06 pm »

Hello Geb

The lee mounts to the lens but it's quick since you put an adapter in each lens. The wide angle adapters screw into the filter thread of the lens.  The hood fits with a quick release so you can change it fast.  Sounds similar tithe sinar setup. 

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

gebseng

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2014, 04:56:00 am »

Thanks for the Sinar tip, that's just what I was looking for! Thanks also for the Lee suggestion,

geb

Enda Cavanagh

• http://www.endacavanagh.com
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2014, 09:51:21 am »

Hi Gebhard
I was looking for a similar solution recently. I too use the SK 28mm and had up until than used the flarebuster. The build quality of the flarebuster is atrocious. Any wind and it flaps around like a butterfly. Potentially causing camera shake and at best as a result peaking into the shot as it flans. Also the adjustable arm has way too much give. I initially started looking at the sinar shade but unfortunately it can not go up to the 112mm thread of the 28mm. I telephoned Sinar for confirmation. I ended up getting 2 pro shades plus arms and clamps from Dinkum systems.  Vastly superior to flarebuster and much more rigid but not as compact. The arms can be broken up into small lengths though. Not quite what I was looking for but am very happy with the system

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2014, 10:35:12 am »

+1 on the Dinkum shade compared to the flare buster. 

Paul C

Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

aviv1887

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2014, 11:35:31 am »

The Sinar system of barndoors is pretty great. However when used with wide angle lenses on a tech cam and you shift the lens, it immediatly starts vignetting.  I tested it on a RS 32 and the adapter ring itself causes the vingnetting.

mjon

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2014, 12:51:47 pm »

The build quality of the flarebuster is atrocious. Any wind and it flaps around like a butterfly. [...] Also the adjustable arm has way too much give.

I use a Manfrotto Hydro arm with a nano clamp. Much better than these flexible solutions, IMHO. Here is an example image from a blog:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_3BMUu5oYkEs/TFxIUe2MnLI/AAAAAAAAABo/IjN34YDmCYk/s1600/_AAA5572.jpg

gebseng

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2014, 06:30:42 pm »

Thanks Enda, very useful tip! I will probably get one Dinkum pro lens shade as a start, looks like just what I need!
Thanks also for the other tips! Yes, I realized the Sinar shade would not work with larger lenses.

Enda, since there are not too many photographers around using the SK 5.6/28mm, how do you like yours so far? Do you always use the CF?

best,

Gebhard

gebseng

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2014, 06:41:29 pm »

I also found this article: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?29136-Compendium-Shade-for-C-1 , so I might try to get a small barn door used for lighting and mount that to my Linhof with the filter rod.

geb
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 06:50:12 pm by gebseng »

Enda Cavanagh

• http://www.endacavanagh.com
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2014, 02:28:32 pm »

Thanks Enda, very useful tip! I will probably get one Dinkum pro lens shade as a start, looks like just what I need!
Thanks also for the other tips! Yes, I realized the Sinar shade would not work with larger lenses.

Enda, since there are not too many photographers around using the SK 5.6/28mm, how do you like yours so far? Do you always use the CF?

best,

Gebhard

Hi Geb
Glad to help.
I always use the cf. Firstly it saves me having to take note of every change in lens movement, which needs to be keyed in later one by one in CS if you use the digital centre filter.

Secondly I use a fair bit of shift so correcting it at thesource with a lens centre filter gives better results re. noise in the shadows.

Pages: [1]   Go Up