Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Social media . . . .  (Read 2623 times)

Rand47

Social media . . . .
« on: March 12, 2014, 10:42:52 am »

I'm not a Luddite, but I'm also not a fan of "social media."  For the most part it seems like narcissism run amok.  Who cares what I ate for lunch?  And the seriousness with which the news media now reports "what's trending" makes me want to lose that lunch.  I did hear this morning, though, that YouTube, Twitter and Face book are about to merge into one giant hegemony of social media... they will be aptly named (wait for it!)....

YOU-TWIT-FACE   ;D

Rand

Edited to include smiley face so that some may recognize a joke when they read it!    ;)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 10:44:04 pm by Rand47 »
Rand Scott Adams

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
Re: Social media . . . .
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 10:55:59 am »

;D

DF1

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 11:13:53 am »

A better question is why you let it bother you. If you don't like social media, don't use it. If you don't like to see what's "trending", ignore it or get your news somewhere else.

RobbieV

• My work.
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 03:22:29 pm »

Not caring about social media is trending right now...

Justinr

• Ink+images
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 04:05:26 pm »

Not caring about social media is trending right now...

In that case, as a fully paid up radical, I'm honour bound to sign up for Facebook immediately!

Err.... have I got that right?

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 11:36:35 pm »

I gave it a shot when my daughter suggested it so we could keep in contact with each other more easily.  In the first week, I started to get all kinds of links and emails or whatever from her friends.  Like wow!  I clicked it off the next day.  Messaging and emails and phone calls are enough.

Justinr

• Ink+images
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2014, 03:47:02 am »

I gave it a shot when my daughter suggested it so we could keep in contact with each other more easily.  In the first week, I started to get all kinds of links and emails or whatever from her friends.  Like wow!  I clicked it off the next day.  Messaging and emails and phone calls are enough.

Indeed. There comes a point when you realise that there is only so much time in your life.

On a slightly different tangent it was Paddy's day here yesterday and in the past I used to take a few shots of the local parade for my old website and had sold the occasional print. The last couple of years pictures of the event were up on Facebook before I'd even got home and unpacked the camera, another minor income banjaxed, but that's the way of the world.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 05:03:06 am by Justinr »

Jason DiMichele

• Jason DiMichele - Fine Art Photographer and Printer
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2014, 08:08:13 am »

I agree that there are a lot of cases where social media is used as the mechanism for narcissism. However, there really are benefits as well. Definitely not as many benefits or as much ROI (with time spent) than the industry expertise profiting from the craze will tell you. It also completely depends on the industry that one is in. The aspects of social media I find somewhat useful are some Facebook groups (mostly photography groups local to my area) as there are some good conversations and community supporting each other which is nice to see, Tumblr for sometimes getting a sense which of my art is more marketable (for what it's worth), and LinkedIn for various groups and potential business contacts. Twitter I don't use and don't think benefits me in anyway. I don't really have time to use social media heavily (nor do I think if I had extra time it would be spent wisely on social media) but I do think it has it's place if used wisely. I never really browse Pinterest but do know that there is some very clever and creative ideas there.

Cheers,
Jay
Jason DiMichele
Fine Art Photographer an

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2014, 10:14:00 am »

What's Pinterest?  I've heard about it but what is it?

Jason DiMichele

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2014, 04:35:37 pm »

What's Pinterest?  I've heard about it but what is it?

Alan,

The concept is basically like a big cork board if you will where people "pin" things they find interesting to it. So basically you're scrolling through a lot of items on a "wall". These items range from fashion to technology to deals to architectural ideas to art, etc. You choose who you would like to follow. I know a few people in various design roles who use it wisely to brainstorm and get inspired from the individuals/businesses that they follow.

Cheers,
Jay
Jason DiMichele
Fine Art Photographer an

StoneNYC

• StoneNYC
    • Stone NYC Photography
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2014, 01:20:42 am »

I think there is a balance, by using the social networks, you can keep track of your friends and when you get together you have more to talk a bout because you're aware of some of the common things they would otherwise be tired of repeating.  It enables you to show others what you are proud of, and not torture them by making them sit through an hour of slideshow projection.

They make it easier to organize functions and coordinate large evens, allow you to populate those to your calendar and keep it in your pocket so you don't forget anything and stay organized.

Good and bad...
~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Jason DiMichele

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2014, 04:21:25 pm »

I think there is a balance, by using the social networks, you can keep track of your friends and when you get together you have more to talk a bout because you're aware of some of the common things they would otherwise be tired of repeating.  It enables you to show others what you are proud of, and not torture them by making them sit through an hour of slideshow projection.

They make it easier to organize functions and coordinate large evens, allow you to populate those to your calendar and keep it in your pocket so you don't forget anything and stay organized.

Good and bad...

+1
Jason DiMichele
Fine Art Photographer an
Pages: [1]   Go Up