Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Halos on edges of high contrast content + Fuji XE-1  (Read 2546 times)

brianrybolt

Halos on edges of high contrast content + Fuji XE-1
« on: March 11, 2014, 11:13:59 am »

I am getting some very disturbing halos on quite a few photos I took in Antarctica recently.  See enclosed attachments which are 100% crops.  These were processed in LR 5.3 on my iMac - Mavericks OS

Do you feel another Raw Converter would solve this problem.  I must say I would hate to leave LR since I've been with it from the beginning.  Any rumours about sorting this problem with the next iteration of the application?  

Thanks,

Brian

AFairley

Re: Halos on edges of high contrast content + Fuji XE-1
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 11:37:38 am »

There is a recent (last week) thread about this very problem in the Fuji X forum on dpreview with images showing the issue and results using different converters.  Photo Ninja appears not to have this problem, apparently you can import the Fuji raw files into LR (do not convert to DNG) and use PN as a lightroom plugin (covert Raws and save to tiff).  Others use Capture One.  I only recently got an X-E2 and saw some demosaic issues in LR and got a trial key for NN, but have not yet put it through its paces.  First impressions are that it avoids the LR edge issue and is a competent raw converter.  I likely would do basic tone adjustments and lens/perspective corrections and fine tune and do local adjustments in LR.  However, from what I hear, some Fuji images convert just fine in LR, so maybe I will be able to do the bulk in LR.  I am still feeling my way on the issue.  Hopefully Adobe will further develop the Fuji conversion, since the Trans-X sensor cameras seem to be getting wider adoption. (Eric, are you reading?)

[edited to correct Photo Ninja name]
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 06:04:03 pm by AFairley »

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 10:18:28 pm »

Currently LR 5.3 does not do a very good job with high contrast edges, example bare tree limbs against a blue sky.  It creates a halo or slight blurring around the transition.  I have noticed this since I started working with the X-E1 and LR in mid 2013. 

LR has gotten better in certain areas on Fuji files, but this issue continues. 

In this thread on Getdpi, I have a post where I show a LR and Capture One conversion and the LR conversion shows this issue.

http://www.getdpi.com/forum/fuji/50182-fuji-x-t1-greens-jpg-files-help-please.html

The post was about greens, but you can see some examples of this problem. 

Capture One does a much better job in situations where this can occur and I have started working more of my winter images in Capture One.  LR 5.3 did seem to get a better grasp of the greens and pulling out more details, but the other problem can really ruin a shot. 

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

TonyW

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 06:31:56 am »

Have you had a look at Iridient Developer.  No personal experience but it may prove helpful in dealing with this type of detail as described Here

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 01:05:09 pm »

Iridient does much better on the contrast halos, but it's tool set is so limited I only go to it as a last resort.  I also feel that Iridient has problems in areas of an image that were in shade, not fully lit as here it can't seem to pull the details out as well. 

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2014, 05:16:52 pm »

There is a recent (last week) thread about this very problem in the Fuji X forum on dpreview with images showing the issue and results using different converters.  Noise Ninja appears not to have this problem, apparently you can import the Fuji raw files into LR (do not convert to DNG) and use NN as a lightroom plugin (covert Raws and save to tiff).  Others use Capture One.  I only recently got an X-E2 and saw some demosaic issues in LR and got a trial key for NN, but have not yet put it through its paces.  First impressions are that it avoids the LR edge issue and is a competent raw converter.  I likely would do basic tone adjustments and lens/perspective corrections and fine tune and do local adjustments in LR.  However, from what I hear, some Fuji images convert just fine in LR, so maybe I will be able to do the bulk in LR.  I am still feeling my way on the issue.  Hopefully Adobe will further develop the Fuji conversion, since the Trans-X sensor cameras seem to be getting wider adoption. (Eric, are you reading?)

Some images from the X-Trans sensor come out well enough in LR, but I find PhotoNinja generally works much better.
Open Directly (http://www.photographers-toolbox.com/products/jbeardsworth/opendirectly/index.php?sec=main) will send a raw file directly from Lightroom to Photo Ninja without the intermediate tiff. And it's free for single external editor use. I just installed it in Lightroom 5 and it works fine.
I usually do the basic conversion in PhotoNinja, opening out the shadows and keeping the contrast fairly flat and then fine tuning the tif in LR or Photoshop.
X-Trans files will take a lot of sharpening without coming apart, and I find need more than those from the Canon 5DII when printing at 24'' wide, but while PhotoNinja will deliver an amazing amount of detail I prefer to limit the conversion to what I used to do for capture sharpening in LR and then selectively work on the detail later.

AFairley

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2014, 06:07:59 pm »

Some images from the X-Trans sensor come out well enough in LR, but I find PhotoNinja generally works much better.
Open Directly (http://www.photographers-toolbox.com/products/jbeardsworth/opendirectly/index.php?sec=main) will send a raw file directly from Lightroom to Photo Ninja without the intermediate tiff. And it's free for single external editor use. I just installed it in Lightroom 5 and it works fine.

I read that using PhotoNinja as a LR plugin, while LR will generate a tiff to send to PN, PN will look for and open a raw file of with the same name in the same location if you set it up to do so.  Then when PN renders out its tiff it overwrites the tiff LR generated. See http://blog.thomasfitzgeraldphotography.com/2014/02/photo-ninja-x-trans-processing/
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 09:11:02 pm by AFairley »

OnyimBob

• http://
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2014, 08:18:50 pm »

As I've read quite a few times, a screenshot of the processing history might help others to answer your questions.
Off the top of my head are you adjusting luminance of the sky?
Bob.
Bob Munro.
[url=http://www.waterholesgue

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2014, 12:32:09 am »

I read that using PhotoNinja as a LR plugin, while LR will generate a tiff to send to PN, PN will look for and open a raw file of with the same name in the same location if you set it up to do so.  Then when PN renders out its tiff it overwrites the tiff LR generated. See http://blog.thomasfitzgeraldphotography.com/2014/02/photo-ninja-x-trans-processing/
Yes indeed.
But sometimes I don't want to go ahead with saving the processed file because it's not good enough, and then I have to delete the tif. And often I want to save the processed file in a different folder. It's nice to have different options for people's different workflows.
Pages: [1]   Go Up