Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Never say never ... by PhaseOne ??? Real or fake ?  (Read 7385 times)

design_freak

Never say never ... by PhaseOne ??? Real or fake ?
« on: March 10, 2014, 01:28:19 pm »

Best regards,
DF

Kabraxis

• www.kabraxis.de
Re: Never say never ... by PhaseOne ??? Real or fake ?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 01:39:30 pm »

Real funny advertise text:

And words "20 Years Anniversary Limited Edition" will appear on the boot screen, which makes this edition extremely special and collectible.

Thx for sharing

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 01:55:50 pm »

Huh - is it April 1st already ?

lance_schad

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 03:13:32 pm »

Its real. They produced them for the Chinese market. Heard they sold quite well.

Lance
LANCE SCHAD - DIGITAL TRANSITIONS

amsp

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 03:53:36 pm »

The words digital and collectible in the same sentence makes laugh.

Ken R

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2014, 03:57:36 pm »

Oh Lord.

Horses for courses I guess.

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2014, 06:11:26 pm »

Milking the last out of the model.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

JV

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2014, 08:10:52 pm »

During the interview with Kevin Raber it already became clear to me that the Phase One CEO is quite pleased with himself and with Phase One but this:

On the side of IQ280 digital back, there's a golden signature by Phase One CEO Henrik Hakonsson.

Really?  It would probably be wise for Phase One to keep their feet on the ground…

And besides that, going back to the interview, Phase One is not the first to build a new platform from scratch.  Leica did that years before them.

And an open system… Phase One does not support the Hy6, the most open camera platform on the market.  Its software does not support their direct competitors like Hasselblad and Leica…. Open?

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2014, 08:17:38 pm »

Phase One does not support the Hy6, the most open camera platform on the market.

Team Phase One absolutely supports the Hy6. The Credo 60 and 80 are available in Hy6 mounts and are made by Mamiya Leaf, a Team Phase One brand.

JV

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2014, 08:24:27 pm »

Team Phase One absolutely supports the Hy6. The Credo 60 and 80 are available in Hy6 mounts and are made by Mamiya Leaf, a Team Phase One brand.

I was talking about Phase One itself.  And the Credo 60 and 80 backs don't have the rotating sensor of the AFi-II backs… which really leaves the Hy6 a bit crippled…

Doug Peterson

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2014, 08:27:40 pm »

Horses for courses I guess.

That implies this horse can run faster on a specific course than it's less blingy cousin.

I for one strongly object to "special editions" which add no actual features/value/distinction other than exclusivity/styling.

But for the sake of argument let's tell a story about Bob the photographer.

Bob sells prints. His prints are fairly expensive. They are unusually well made, and have beautiful color, great tonality, and are printed on a very durable and long lasting paper. Bob usually sells his prints to professional decorators for inclusion in high end hotel lobbies and CEO's offices, but also sells a healthy share to very rich collectors. Bob gets approached by a Chinese dealer that says he can sell 99 of his most expensive prints for twice the price, if only Bob puts his signature on the back, tags it with a limited edition number, and delivers it in a special packaging. Should Bob say no?

My view is that he should say no - offering something of his for more money without any actual increase in underlying value is demeaning to the customer and erodes brand value. But I can also definitely understand why Bob would agree - especially when the whole thing is very transparent (i.e. the customer knows it's not better, it's just part of a limited release).

Doug Peterson

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2014, 08:33:25 pm »

I was talking about Phase One itself.  And the Credo 60 and 80 backs don't have the rotating sensor of the AFi-II backs… which really leaves the Hy6 a bit crippled…

I don't understand the distinction. This is like saying Volkswagen doesn't serve the sexy-car market (Bugatti, Lamborghini, Porche all brands under Volkwagen). Henrik is CEO of Team Phase One and is responsible for all the brands thereunder: Phase One, Leaf, and Mamiya.

I think a Credo with a rotating sensor would be great on the Hy6 - shame it doesn't have this feature. But then the AFI-II backs had a dim screen with a slow user interface that made practical use of the LCD for image review a major pain. Shooting vertical on a Hy6+Credo (take off, rotate, put back on) is IMO as good or better than on a 500 series, H body, or DF+. Regardless the best back made today for the Hy6 is a Team Phase One product - so saying Team Phase One doesn't support they Hy6 is a bit nonsensical.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 08:37:06 pm by Doug Peterson »

synn

• My fine art portfolio
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2014, 09:13:55 pm »

Milking the last out of the model.

Edmund

Oh, you mean like this?
my portfolio: www.sandeepmurali.com

JV

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2014, 09:23:25 pm »

Regardless the best back made today for the Hy6 is a Team Phase One product - so saying Team Phase One doesn't support they Hy6 is a bit nonsensical.

No, it is not nonsensical IMO.  Whatever way you look at it, if you don't support a camera platform with your best product you are not fully embracing it… and you are sending a signal to the market...

Doug Peterson

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2014, 09:33:42 pm »

No, it is not nonsensical IMO.  Whatever way you look at it, if you don't support a camera platform with your best product you are not fully embracing it… and you are sending a signal to the market...

Well, even if I don't agree I understand where you are coming from.

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2014, 11:02:02 pm »

Well, even if I don't agree I understand where you are coming from.

This whole business about Phase/Leaf is incomprehensible. Different SKUs, different cases, different screens, different software different sensor qualities for all I know, different component stocks, more demo products to stock for resalers. Why not just have one product range and pass on the savings to the "poor" customers? That might actually make life simpler for some.

Edmund
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 11:03:57 pm by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

synn

• My fine art portfolio
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2014, 11:08:10 pm »

This whole business about Phase/Leaf is incomprehensible. Different SKUs, different cases, different screens, different software different sensor qualities for all I know, different component stocks, more demo products to stock for resalers. Why not just have one product range and pass on the savings to the "poor" customers? That might actually make life simpler for some.

Edmund

What do you care? You're buying neither and are building your own.
my portfolio: www.sandeepmurali.com

bcooter

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2014, 11:18:32 pm »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/20-Years-Anni-Limited-PHASE-ONE-645DF-w-AF-80-2-8-LS-IQ280-80MP-Digital-Back-/281278690388?pt=Film_Cameras&hash=item417d843454

68k?

OK, anybody that owns, works, is associated with Phase One should never complain about the hasselblad lunar, or the H series Ferrari edition.

I don't think Hanks gold signature is worth 68,000 Washingtons, but if they really do sell in china, I'm going to buy a gold sharpie and start signing everything I own.

BC
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 11:46:09 pm by bcooter »

Ken R

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2014, 01:24:41 am »

Oh, you mean like this?

OMG. How many special edition cameras are there? Seems that all of them or most of them are marketed for the Far East market. Someone should make a blog post with a list and images. There might be enough to fill pages and pages.

And I obviously don't blame a manufacturer for doing them. If there is a market then by all means. I don't think it devalues the brand. I mean, us forum folk might chuckle and even rant a bit on some threads but we are obviously not the target market however diverse the forum population might be anyway.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 01:27:41 am by Ken R »

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2014, 01:49:40 am »

Hi,

Good points, Doug.

Recently we had auction firms selling several limited series of photographs differing only in size. So in one gallery they had #7 of (12) of a 8x10" and another gallery had #5 of (9) of the same image printed 10x12".

Best regards
Erik

That implies this horse can run faster on a specific course than it's less blingy cousin.

I for one strongly object to "special editions" which add no actual features/value/distinction other than exclusivity/styling.

But for the sake of argument let's tell a story about Bob the photographer.

Bob sells prints. His prints are fairly expensive. They are unusually well made, and have beautiful color, great tonality, and are printed on a very durable and long lasting paper. Bob usually sells his prints to professional decorators for inclusion in high end hotel lobbies and CEO's offices, but also sells a healthy share to very rich collectors. Bob gets approached by a Chinese dealer that says he can sell 99 of his most expensive prints for twice the price, if only Bob puts his signature on the back, tags it with a limited edition number, and delivers it in a special packaging. Should Bob say no?

My view is that he should say no - offering something of his for more money without any actual increase in underlying value is demeaning to the customer and erodes brand value. But I can also definitely understand why Bob would agree - especially when the whole thing is very transparent (i.e. the customer knows it's not better, it's just part of a limited release).
Erik Kaffehr

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up