Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How can I print from LR so image IS pixelated?  (Read 2631 times)

lenswork66

How can I print from LR so image IS pixelated?
« on: March 10, 2014, 01:27:28 pm »

I am trying to print a thumbnail and I WANT it to look blocky/pixelated. When I zoom in...the blocks are clearly defined/nice and straight. When I print...the image gets softened...I don't know exactly how I set it so it WON'T interpolate/soften the image. As most of the time it is the OPPOSITE of what people want , there doesn't seem to be any info with Google search.
Anyone know?
thx!

francois

Re: How can I print from LR so image IS pixelated?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 09:10:46 am »

I would have tried to use a very low print resolution setting but Lightroom only goes down to 72 ppi. I don't know of anything straightforward/quick to get the effect you want in Lightroom. You could try to reduce print cell size to 1 or 2 cm and then resolution to 72 ppi and then print to file. Reimport that file, crop and test if you can really print with the look you're after.

That said, I'm a bit tired today and some more clever LR users might find an easy way to do it…

HTH
Francois

jferrari

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 09:21:14 am »

The only way I can think of doing this would involve a trip to PS and back.
Nothing changes until something changes.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 10:39:05 am »

Export the image as very, very low rez, then import back in (you can do both at the same time), print the imported very low rez file.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

lenswork66

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2014, 12:56:58 pm »

How can I do it in photoshop? Even if it is low res and imported back in...I believe either the printer (epson 9800) or LR still 'interpolates' or softens the jaggy lines. Funny that this is hard to do...lol...guess it's not a common thing people want.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2014, 01:05:03 pm »

How can I do it in photoshop?

Hi,

You need to start with a smallish image size and 're-sample' using the 'Nearest Neighbor' algorithm to the larger size you want to end up with. Alternatively, and more flexible, you can use the 'Filter|Pixelate|Mosaic' filter on an image with already the correct output size.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2014, 01:39:50 pm »

You mean pixelated like this?

Try this: in the  Library 's Navigator pane choose 11:1 (or 8:1) and make a screen shot (on a Mac command+shift+4 will let you choose the area you want a screen shot of) and then either  import that into Lightroom and print from there or open the screenshot in Photoshop and print out of that application. I guess you could print  directly from Preview if you opened the screenshot there too.

lenswork66

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2014, 04:22:07 pm »

It isn't getting the image right that is the problem...pixellating etc. It is something in the printer settings that always softens the straight edged blocks. I guess it's the 'print resolution' but that only goes down to 72 DPI...when it seems what I need is more like 2 DPI...y'know? Any clues on where I could post this question...as it is not a LR question per se...

BCRider

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2014, 04:58:06 pm »

How about trying the opposite approach?

Since your image is already pixelated try printing with the HIGHEST quality setting.   Set Lightroom to 720 dpi and in the Epson driver set to highest quality (2880x1440 with "finest detail" activated).

Just a thought... :)

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2014, 04:59:40 pm »

It isn't getting the image right that is the problem...pixellating etc. It is something in the printer settings that always softens the straight edged blocks. I guess it's the 'print resolution' but that only goes down to 72 DPI...when it seems what I need is more like 2 DPI...y'know?

Hi,

In that case you should create a pixelated image large enough that it won't need up-sampling during printing.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

jferrari

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2014, 05:37:42 pm »

In PS - Copy your layer. Filter > Pixelate > Crystallize then choose Cell Size for desired effect. Print at normal rez. Good Luck.     - Jim
Nothing changes until something changes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up