Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can't get keywording to work with Capture One Pro 7  (Read 10167 times)

The View

Can't get keywording to work with Capture One Pro 7
« on: March 10, 2014, 02:29:47 am »

I have used keywords in Lightroom, and it was no problem.

In Capture One Pro 7, they don't seem to stick. I select all the images I want to add a keyword to, go to the keyword tab in the metadata panel, click plus, enter the keyword, hit enter, and then deselect the images.

When I go back, a few of the images have the keyword, most don't.

Why isn't this working? What do I have to do to get the Capture One Pro 7 catalog to accept keywords for all the images they are intended to?
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

ario

The View

Re: Can't get keywording to work with Capture One Pro 7
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 03:13:57 pm »

Yes, I saw that and could get some keywords applied.

The process is so bad it is unusable.

You have to do the following:

1. Being in the metadata too, select one image.
2. Write the keyword, hit tab.
3. Switch to the library.
4. Select all images.
5. Drag images to the keyword.

You only have access to keywords you defined in a particular folder. So, every time you start keywording in a new folder, you have to write new keywords - or they won't show up in the metadata tool. This way it is easy to create different keywords for the same group of images.

Conclusion: Capture One Pro 7 is useless for keywording (as for so many other things - you still can't rename folders) and the catalog is a complete piece of junk. I read that Phase One used old code from outdated cataloging software, code so old, that even Lightroom 1 is more up to date.

Lightroom 1 (!) was lightyears ahead already.

1. Select images.
2. Write keyword, click enter.

At any time you have access to keywords already chosen and do not have to define them anew.

The solution is to either drop that ridiculously outdated catalog based on old code from COP7, or get us a catalog that works as well as Lightroom's.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 08:33:57 pm by The View »
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

James R

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 03:07:55 am »

4. Select all images.

You only have access to keywords you defined in a particular folder. So, every time you start keywording in a new folder, you have to write new keywords - or they won't show up in the metadata tool. This way it is easy to create different keywords for the same group of images.

Conclusion: Capture One Pro 7 is useless for keywording (as for so many other things - you still can't rename folders) and a complete piece of junk. I read that Phase One used old code from outdated cataloging software, code so old, that even Lightroom 1 is more up to date.

1. Select images.

At any time you have access to keywords already chosen and do not have to define them anew.

The solution is to either drop that ridiculously outdated catalog based on old code from COP7, or get us a catalog that works as well as Lightroom's.

I agree with your criticism and hope PhaseOne reads this thread.  And I hope they are not too proud to look at how other converters handle keywording.

chipbutty

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, 06:58:30 am »

I agree it's very clunky. Yes you can drag and drop photos onto keywords but here the efficiency ends as you highlighted. One other way is to copy just the required keyword from the clipboard and then paste to the selected images.

4. Select all images.

Conclusion: Capture One Pro 7 is useless for keywording (as for so many other things - you still can't rename folders) and a complete piece of junk. I read that Phase One used old code from outdated cataloging software, code so old, that even Lightroom 1 is more up to date.

1. Select images.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 07:01:00 am by chipbutty »

The View

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2014, 08:38:52 pm »

I just want to point out that my criticism isn't for Capture One Pro, the RAW converter - which is excellent.

My criticism is for the catalog, which basically is beta software not ready for prime time.

Please note the difference.

Phase One needs to catch up and improve importing/naming, keywording, and stability.

Andrew Makiejewski

• Photography by Andrzej Stefan Makiejewski
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2014, 09:49:34 pm »

Yeah!!!!

Capture One really needs to play with Lightroom. Need a master keyword list with hierarchy. An input are like in lightroom which then has a drop-down list and and you select. Select images and apply keyword(s) to them. They need to implement every aspect of the keywording system in lightroom period.

They way it is now, is pretty useless.

Hopefully they are planning to add a proper keywording system in the next release. I mainly use lightroom, but Capture One was for certain camera which I do like how it renders the images. A pain having to import it into lightroom for proper asset management (also a waste of extra storage space).

Phase One, if you are listening, get keywording on par with lightroom or get left behind.

Andrew
Capture the moment.

dandaman56

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2014, 10:19:13 pm »

I just want to point out that my criticism isn't for Capture One Pro, the RAW converter - which is excellent.

My criticism is for the catalog, which basically is beta software not ready for prime time.

Please note the difference.

Phase One needs to catch up and improve importing/naming, keywording, and stability.

Amen!  Great raw rendering, very good image editing, lackluster cataloging.
Pages: [1]   Go Up