Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New tripod head  (Read 1728 times)

rgs

• Richard Smith Photography
New tripod head
« on: March 09, 2014, 11:30:16 pm »

I have a Bogan/Manfrotto 3021/055PROB. For years I have used (and been quite happy with) a very solid old 3055 ball head with a Manfrotto's RC0 large hexagonal quick release.

I'm looking at doing a bit more architectural work including some interiors and stitched panos. In preparation for that, I removed the ball head and attached my 3047 (also old - all Bogan no Manfrotto name attached) tilt/shift head thinking it would be more precise. Now I remember why I went to the ball many years ago.

So here is the question. The tilt/shift head is clumsy to work with and the ball head has only a rudimentary scale system for panos and no bubble levels. What I need is a solid ball head with bubble levels, Arca-Swiss type QR, and scales that will work well for panos. I would prefer under $200. As you can probably tell, I tend to get very long use from tripods so I don't want something that will give up or stop acting smoothly in 1 year (or 5 or 10). I need suggestions.

Thanks.

mhospelt

• Michael Hospelt Photography
Re: New tripod head
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 12:21:05 am »

If you plan to do architectural photos, look for a Manfrotto geared Head. Much more precise than a ball head. If you are on a budget, find a used one on Ebay.

graeme

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 04:58:15 am »

A manfrotto 410 junior geared head. I've been using one for about 5 years for stained glass & ( sort of ) architectural photography. A very good piece of kit for the money. I bought it after it was recommended by forum member Kirk Gittings ( architectural & fine art photographer ).

Using a ball head for architectural stuff would drive me mad.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 06:06:13 am »

Hi,

Hejnarphoto makes an adapter that can be used with Arca-Swiss type clamps: http://www.hejnarphotostore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=16_17&products_id=5

Best regards
Erik
A manfrotto 410 junior geared head. I've been using one for about 5 years for stained glass & ( sort of ) architectural photography. A very good piece of kit for the money. I bought it after it was recommended by forum member Kirk Gittings ( architectural & fine art photographer ).

Erik Kaffehr

rgs

• Richard Smith Photography
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 07:12:10 am »

That was kind of my reasoning for getting the old pan/tilt out but a geared head makes more sense. Thanks

philbond87

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2014, 11:35:28 am »

I can also recommend the Manfrotto 410.
I converted it to Arca-Swiss with the Hejnar bolt-on adapter as well.

Although I've since replaced it I have to say that it was very good for the price and served me well and I had few complaints with it.

Walt Roycraft

• roycraftart
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2014, 11:41:07 am »

+1
Walter Roycraft
http://www.roycraftart.c

NancyP

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2014, 07:35:13 pm »

+1 for Manfrotto 410 with Hejnar conversion.

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2014, 11:42:32 am »

Another recommendation for the Manfrotto 410 converted with the Hejnar adapter to the  Arca-Swiss compatible dovetail Quick-release system..
Pages: [1]   Go Up