Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: How many are using Mavericks?  (Read 8915 times)

JayWPage

• Jay W Page Photography
Re: How many are using Mavericks?
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2014, 12:46:47 pm »

I have a 2010 Mac Pro running 10.6.8 and I have not upgraded to Mavericks. Everything that I run with this computer works just fine, both hardware (NEC monitor, Epson 3880, Nikon Coolscan scanner, etc.) and software (PS CS6, NEC Spectraview II, Topaz & NIK plugins, PT Gui, MS Office, etc.). So why change the operating system if everything works fine as it is. I know that if I upgraded, it would turn into a headache for sure.

Personally I'm tired of this treadmill of constant upgrades and drain on my pocket book (yes, I know Mavericks is free), so I'm "freezing" my entire system (computers, cameras, and software) for the next 3 - 4 years and instead of fighting with equipment and learning new software I'm going to spend my time doing what I enjoy most, which is taking pictures.
Jay W Page

Mark Lindquist

• it’s not about the photos we take - it’s the ones we leave
    • LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2014, 12:57:35 pm »

I understand what you are saying Jay and I felt exactly the same.  The real problem is that just last month, Apple has dropped ALL support for 10.6.8, meaning it is now extremely vulnerable to hacks, big time.

Now that I've upgraded, I can only say that all the new programs are improvements and there are many advantages to running Mavericks.

I sure hear you and I was dragging my feet as well, but learning that banking and financial aspects were now totally vulnerable, I just jumped ship - got the Snow Leopard off my back and got on a new horse....
Mark Lindquist
http://z3200.com, http://MarkLindquistPhotography.com
Lindquist Studios.com

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2014, 05:21:16 pm »

I have a 2010 Mac Pro running 10.6.8 and I have not upgraded to Mavericks. Everything that I run with this computer works just fine, both hardware (NEC monitor, Epson 3880, Nikon Coolscan scanner, etc.) and software (PS CS6, NEC Spectraview II, Topaz & NIK plugins, PT Gui, MS Office, etc.). So why change the operating system if everything works fine as it is. I know that if I upgraded, it would turn into a headache for sure.

Personally I'm tired of this treadmill of constant upgrades and drain on my pocket book (yes, I know Mavericks is free), so I'm "freezing" my entire system (computers, cameras, and software) for the next 3 - 4 years and instead of fighting with equipment and learning new software I'm going to spend my time doing what I enjoy most, which is taking pictures.

Everything but Lightroom 5 and OnOnes Photo Suite 8

Mark Lindquist

• LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2014, 08:06:08 pm »

You like onOne Photo Suite Dan?  Any good?

I tell you what - I recently bought Perfectly Clear and when it comes to mongrel light issues and hard to process funky light, it's pretty good.

Have wondered about Perfect Photo Suite 8 - I see it advertised a lot.
Mark Lindquist
Lindquist Studios.com

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2014, 09:21:09 pm »

Mark,
I use OnOnes Perfect Resize every day. It comes with the Suite package and is worth it's weight in gold.
For resizing and it's canvas mirroring capabilities.
The rest of the package I play with a little but nothing too serious.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 09:25:31 pm by Dan Berg »

JayWPage

• Jay W Page Photography
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2014, 11:45:26 am »

I don't use Lightroom, I don't like the way it organizes my images. I prefer to organize my images the way I think about them: by date and event. I chose Photozoom Pro for resizing.

Getting back to Mavericks, I have upgraded my Airbook to 10.9.2 since it is what I use when out and about. I had thought that most of the security concerns related to the early release of Mavericks (10.9.1)

For the time being, I am planning to keep my Mac Pro with 10.6.8.   Maybe later in the year, if security issues start to be a problem I will clone the primary drive and upgrade to whatever Mavericks is up to and try it out (but with the option of switching back to 10.6.8 if I don't like it).
Jay W Page

Mark Lindquist

• LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2014, 07:55:58 pm »

Mark,
I use OnOnes Perfect Resize every day. It comes with the Suite package and is worth it's weight in gold.
For resizing and it's canvas mirroring capabilities.
The rest of the package I play with a little but nothing too serious.

Yeah, of course, Dan.  I use Perfect Resize Pro - upgraded from Genuine Fractals, but never bothered with the other programs.  Don't think I could live with out resize pro....

As for the canvas mirroring, I use actions I've created myself and I know you know, LOL (think Conga), LOL
Mark Lindquist
Lindquist Studios.com

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2014, 10:18:21 pm »

I don't use Lightroom, I don't like the way it organizes my images. I prefer to organize my images the way I think about them: by date and event. I chose Photozoom Pro for resizing.
Not sure what I'm missing here ... LR does not organize your images.  It simply displays them in whatever manner and hierarchy you yourself choose to use.  The organizing is according to whatever method you use and is handled by the operating system.

Scott Martin

• Onsight
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2014, 07:50:39 am »

I don't use Lightroom..... I prefer to organize my images the way I think about them

I'm with Wayne - LR let's you organize your images exactly the way you like to think about them.

I held onto 10.6.8 for a long time and was glad when I finally upgraded to 10.8.2. 10.9 like it is snappy, lean and mean, highly optimized and I like the iCloud syncing between devices. Really smart integration Apple has done. I miss a few PPC apps a tiny bit but have an old laptop I can run them on if need be. Upgrading from 10.6.8 seemed like a scary prospect at the time but ended up being 20 steps forward and 1 step backwards.
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

Mark Lindquist

• LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2014, 11:27:59 am »

I'm with Wayne - LR let's you organize your images exactly the way you like to think about them.

I held onto 10.6.8 for a long time and was glad when I finally upgraded to 10.8.2. 10.9 like it is snappy, lean and mean, highly optimized and I like the iCloud syncing between devices. Really smart integration Apple has done. I miss a few PPC apps a tiny bit but have an old laptop I can run them on if need be. Upgrading from 10.6.8 seemed like a scary prospect at the time but ended up being 20 steps forward and 1 step backwards.

I'm with Wayne as well and thought the comment about Lightroom
organizing" images (on it's own) was an odd thing to say since Lightroom is soooooo flexible.
On this topic, Lightroom is DEFINITELY your friend.

Yeah, 10.9 (Mavericks) is definitely much better - many improvements and I have yet to see anything it won't do that 10.6.8 would with the exception of Rosetta.  Seems like a win - win ultimately.  Any programs I've upgraded to run better, and are improved, themselves, and work overall much faster and easier.  The current deal on the Photoshop CC and Lightroom for $9.99 per month is like manna from heaven.  Now THAT is a deal!

All the previous Apple software like iWork, iLife, etc., even earlier versions work after quick, free upgrades.

MS Office for Mac works perfectly. (As perfect as that frustrating thing can, LOL).

Printers work well.

Go down the check list and all is well, unless it's not, in which case, upgrade to a new version of the program that is not functioning.

Mark Lindquist
Lindquist Studios.com

westfreeman

• West Freeman Photography
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2014, 10:35:32 pm »

Yes, I am running 10.9.2 Mavericks

I am running this on a 2009 Mac Pro with 24 GB RAM, 8 Core 2.66

I have done a clean install to a SSD HD and it is running like a dream, a very good dream.   I also use Adobe CS6 and use Lightroom 5, both are running well.  I have X-Rite i1Profiler to use i1Photo and it is on 1.5.0 right now and running well also.  

I have had no data loss.  I have 5 internal HDs, one is a SSD HD in the lower Optical bay.  I have two Drobos connected via Firewire both running very well.

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2014, 05:44:03 pm »

Sorry for the double-posting, but Mavericks doesn't allow A3+ fine art papers to be used in some Canon printers.

I'll be delighted when and if this is resolved.

robgo2

• Robert Goldstein Photography
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2014, 12:22:05 pm »

You like onOne Photo Suite Dan?  Any good?

I tell you what - I recently bought Perfectly Clear and when it comes to mongrel light issues and hard to process funky light, it's pretty good.

Have wondered about Perfect Photo Suite 8 - I see it advertised a lot.

Late response:

I use Perfect Photo Suite 8.5 as a standalone program, and it has almost completely supplanted Photoshop in my workflow.  I find that I can get better results with much less effort.  I use all of the Suite's modules regularly with the exception of Portrait and Mask, and I know that I need to learn the latter.  It is a very deep, rich, well designed bit of software with well integrated modules that make for an easy workflow.  PPS has evolved over the years into something quite special, IMO.  The only significant features that are missing are noise reduction and printing.  My guess is that NR will be added to a future version. although many of us perform that function in the raw stage anyway.  For printing, one can use PS, LR, Qimage, ImagePrint etc.

Rob
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 12:53:11 pm by robgo2 »

The View

« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2014, 01:16:56 pm »

Mavericks on a retina MacBook Pro with 16 Gb RAM.

No problems with printing.

But Photoshop has problems with Mavericks, particularly the brush. Sometimes Photoshop just locks up after using the brush. Then I have to click the layer I'm working on in the layer view, and it kind of catches up.

New OS versions come out faster and faster, which leads to increasing bugs with different software applications.

I'd prefer a bomb proof, stable version every three years. Anything more is just window dressing.
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up