Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dad's Speed Graphic  (Read 2417 times)

speedyk

Dad's Speed Graphic
« on: March 09, 2014, 12:11:43 pm »

My father was a photographer long before I was around, and never culled his collection of cameras or shots. I have this grey case containing a Speed Graphic, some glass plates, a 120 adaptor, and various other items, and I keep wondering about it. When I was a wee lad I shot with his Yashica TLR and sort of learned the controls on that, but we never got the Speed Graphic out in my time. When he moved to slide film and had children to deal with these got tucked away in favor of a folding Voigtlander and whatever Pentax SLRs were before they were called that. Now I'm realising that I have access to MF and larger IQ, and have wondered about trying them out.

The question on the Speed Graphic is whether it's IQ is worth expending time and money upon. I'll need to buy new darkroom stuff, mine is long gone except for my homemade enlarger timer. And I'll need to relearn film habits after being conditioned to use lots of shutter releases on digital.

The cameras he had, like mine, were all users, not pristine. I doubt they're worth anything to anyone else. So I wondered if the way to make something out of them, besides putting them up on a display shelf, is to revisit their charms.

Any thoughts?

xocet

Re: Dad's Speed Graphic
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 06:36:55 pm »

Is the Speed Graphic 4x5" or 2x3"?

Either way, you can have some fun playing around without committing much money.  If it is 2x3", then you will feed it with 120 roll film, which is readily available. You can start off with either colour negative film, or chromogenic B+W like Ilford XP2 which can be developed by any mini lab.

If 4x5", and you've got some sheet film holders, you'll want to order some film, and most likely get some way of developing the film yourself. You don't need a darkroom, just a suitable changing bag and a daylight tank. You can get a sheet film specific tank, or get a double 120 tank and use the "taco" method while you are starting out. Of course, with the roll film back, you still have the option of using 120 roll film.

If you choose to develop yourself, a one shot, long life developer like HC110 is a good starting point.

Go for it, these are fun cameras to use, and you'll learn a lot, even if it is only that you don't like old cameras ;) .

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 06:45:09 pm »

Get a film scanner and work hybrid - so you get the best of both worlds.
No need to keep up a print darkroom.
Cheers
~Chris

rgs

• Richard Smith Photography
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 11:12:32 pm »

Is it a Speed Graphic or a Crown Graphic. A Speed Graphic has a focal plane shutter along with a chart on the side that shows how to set the shutter for different speeds. There are two controls for the shutter - the speed of the shutter and the size of the slit between the curtains. It's a pretty primitive focal plane shutter and you have to wind it before you use it. More likely you've got a Crown Graphic (much more practical camera). They look the same except the Crown has only a lens shutter. The Crown Graphics are generally more common. If you have a Speed Graphic it probably still has a lens shutter so you can just open the focal plane shutter and use the lens shutter.

Next question, is it 4x5 (the classic size), 3.5X4.5 (pretty rare and film no longer available), or 2x3 (the baby crown or speed).

The lens is probably a simple Kodak Ektar or Commercial Ektar. The most common sizes are 152mm on the 4x5s and 105mm on the 2x3s. They're pretty good lenses of simple design (Tessar I think) but usually uncoated and a bit low in contrast by modern standards. I still have a 152mm but probably won't use it again.

The shutter can be a problem but it's a purely mechanical one. A good older repairman can clean it up and check it out for you. Probably only the slower speeds will be accurate. It has to be cocked each time you use it. You can replace it (I think) with a more modern Copal 0.

Any lens and shutter you can fit onto the lensboard will work and they're attached by a simple, standard 39mm retaining ring. Just be sure the image circle for the lens is large enough for the film. The camera has some very limited view camera type movements (a little rise and a tilting front standard) that you should also be aware of with regard to the lens' image circle.

The camera probably focuses with an externally attached Kalart rangefinder. Chances are the rangefinder won't work. I had one of them successfully repaired about 30 years ago but sold the camera before I could reattach it. You'd have to find a very special repairman today to get the rangefinder properly working and correctly adjusted and they get out of adjustment easily. Really no problem though. You just use the camera as a view camera and focus on the ground glass.

This has bee a very long post. I'm sorry if I've told you things you already know. I have had several old graphics. They were my first view cameras and I really enjoyed them. They will definitely introduce working discipline into your work (a good thing for digital photographers). Enjoy it.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 11:14:23 pm by rgs »

speedyk

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2014, 03:04:36 pm »

Thank you for the helpful replies.

It's a 4 x 5 Speed Graphic (what the metal plate on the front says) with Kodak lens. It has the plate on the side with settings.  It has a silver-colored rangefinder on one side with a pointer and scale. The 120 adapter is a Graflex "23" Graphic.

Don't have time now, but I'll put up some photos when I get a chance.

NancyP

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2014, 06:53:33 pm »

You might want to check out the fora at:
www.largeformatphotography.info
www.apug.org
Lots of users of old press cameras at both sites.
I am on the same journey, only with a behemoth 4 x 5 monorail.

speedyk

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2014, 04:26:01 pm »

Thank you for the useful links, NancyP. Did some reading up.

lowep

• http://sites.google.com/site/peterlowefoto/
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2014, 05:50:25 pm »

i used a crown graphic for years all over the place scanning my 4x5 negs with an old imcon scanner and would be still doing so if traveling with film was not such a pita... the results easily blow away anything i have got since out of mfdb or dslr systems

Jack Varney

• http://
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2014, 09:20:07 pm »

Most of the lenses found with Speed and Crown Graphics have leaf shutters in the lenses. Of course, for the Crown they are necessary. Having owned both, I still have a Speed, I can't remember seeing a lens on a Graphic that did not have a shutter although I am sure there are some around. Check your lens for a shutter speed dial on the front of the lenses for a cocking lever and a lever to open the shutter when using the focal plane shutter and for focusing on the ground glass.

The leaf shutter is more convenient for most shooting. The focal plane is necessary for very short exposure times. The focal plane can also be very inconvenient when you forget to open it prior to shooting with the leaf shutter!!!  :-[ Conversely, it is necessary to open the leaf shutter prior to exposing with the focal plane shutter.
Jack Varney
Pages: [1]   Go Up