Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any experiences with the Sinar Xact back?  (Read 9488 times)

henrikfoto

Re: Any experiences with the Sinar Xact back?
« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2014, 05:32:19 am »

Thanks a lot!
I also see you have a nice and steady floor😉

Pics2

« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2014, 06:10:19 am »

So, studio stands like Foba (http://www.foba.ch/eng/programm/programm.htm) should be the best solution for MS backs?

Theodoros

« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2014, 06:12:23 am »

Thanks a lot!
I also see you have a nice and steady floor😉
Yeah… but 90% of the time I work on location under the worst circumstances… My specialty is to create files from huge wall paintings in ancient Byzantine monasteries where one works with a power generator and has to carry equipment and lighting for several hundred meters.  :'( But I have to admit, painting reproduction is quite profitable…  :)

Theodoros

« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2014, 08:04:04 am »

So, studio stands like Foba (http://www.foba.ch/eng/programm/programm.htm) should be the best solution for MS backs?

It should be OK for studio use, but MO still is that a tripod that acts as an "one way energy accelerator" (from camera to whatever "earthing") and that blocks energy from entering the system, would give the best results… Of course, there should be experimenting with different tripods since there is no specification of such a characteristic… but be prepared for surprises on the matter and its importance.

Pics2

« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2014, 08:07:19 am »

I understand, great info, thanks! And I just read that you work a lot on location, so I guess Foba is not an option for you.

henrikfoto

« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2014, 08:46:09 am »

What about using large soft rubber blocks undr each leg of the tripod and weighten the tripod down
with a heavy weight (like 10 kilos)?

Theodoros

« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2014, 12:30:48 pm »

What about using large soft rubber blocks undr each leg of the tripod and weighten the tripod down
with a heavy weight (like 10 kilos)?
I wouldn't recommend rubber, perhaps sorbοthane? Rubber may create a change in systems height during the process and is not energy transparent (which you need to "earth" the system instead of "blocking" energy within the tripod's mass), give it a try! (but avoid rubber). Rubber is good to absorb a shock, so I use this on GX680 mirror, but is not transparent to energy when this is the requirement.

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2014, 12:10:22 am »

Hi Eric!

So the light panels did not work for 16 shots?
Maybe the flash is better because it freezes the object better? Or shouldn't
that be important in stills?
I ask because the last days I have been testing a setup with 16 shots, Sinar and a light panel.
I am not happy by the results, but I thought that might be my wooden floor.
So maybe it's just the wrong light...

Hi Henrik,
Yes in most cases I use strobes, but in one time I was working with another photographer who had some big light panels which were fluorescent and these didn't work for the 16 shot.   My guess is because of the flicker and some inconsistency in output.  

I have no problem with my profoto strobes ever and I've even used two metz 60 CT-4 (old handle flash)  packs many times.  

T. Dascalos

I can leave my Rollei 6008AF just sitting on the table and shoot success micro step shots so it's normally not a tripod issue since the Rolleiflex doesn't shake at all - leaf shutter lenses and mirror up the whole time.  

But it doesn't matter if you have an amazing tripod if the floor will sag when someone heavy walks on it.  This will cause one leg to go lower.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 12:12:33 am by EricWHiss »
Rolleiflex USA

Theodoros

« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2014, 08:26:46 pm »

Hi Henrik,
Yes in most cases I use strobes, but in one time I was working with another photographer who had some big light panels which were fluorescent and these didn't work for the 16 shot.   My guess is because of the flicker and some inconsistency in output.  

I have no problem with my profoto strobes ever and I've even used two metz 60 CT-4 (old handle flash)  packs many times.  

T. Dascalos

I can leave my Rollei 6008AF just sitting on the table and shoot success micro step shots so it's normally not a tripod issue since the Rolleiflex doesn't shake at all - leaf shutter lenses and mirror up the whole time.  

But it doesn't matter if you have an amazing tripod if the floor will sag when someone heavy walks on it.  This will cause one leg to go lower.

I never said that one can't do micro step with the camera sat on a table Eric, what I suggested is next to the table's (or the tripod) successful shot, to try another using a tripod made for professional cinema… see if there is any difference… By the way, I also use fluorescent lighting… 12 x CRI 97 Dulux L valves (5500K) in two pairs of six to be exact...

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2014, 01:38:42 pm »

I have a FOBA studio stand in my studio.  I can't really recall seeing anything noticeable between that and my Gitzo.   Do you see big differences?   What camera?
Rolleiflex USA

Theodoros

« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2014, 02:03:25 pm »

I have a FOBA studio stand in my studio.  I can't really recall seeing anything noticeable between that and my Gitzo.   Do you see big differences?   What camera?

You really don't read previous posts, do you Eric?  :)

Theodoros

« Reply #51 on: March 18, 2014, 04:25:40 am »

I've never heard that and it isn't my experience.  I more reliably get 4 shot captures than 16 shot, but when it's working the 16 shot has twice the linear pixels (4 times the resolution) so its no way going to be softer.

I've got the CF version of the 528 so it can store directly to the CF card.  What I've never understood is why  I couldn't do a multishot untethered and have it do the processing later.  This would be on my wish list for MS backs.
Eric, is the CF 528 with a CF card slot? I thought it was with external Image back exactly like Imacon 528c… I thought that only the later CF-22MS was CF card capable… Can you share a picture of it with the CF card slot evident? Thanks in advance.

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2014, 04:14:18 am »

Yes, the CF 528 has a CF card slot and doesn't need an image bank.  Not sure how common they were but they certainly exist.  They look a lot like the CF 22 and CF 39ms backs.   I had a 528c before this one - its much nicer to not need the image bank.  Actually I also had a CF-ii 39MS as well. Everytime I sell my multishot back, I regret it and buy another one.

Rolleiflex USA

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
« Reply #53 on: March 20, 2014, 09:23:15 am »

Yes, the CF 528 has a CF card slot and doesn't need an image bank.  Not sure how common they were but they certainly exist.  They look a lot like the CF 22 and CF 39ms backs.   I had a 528c before this one - its much nicer to not need the image bank.  Actually I also had a CF-ii 39MS as well. Everytime I sell my multishot back, I regret it and buy another one.

This is only a nomenclature issue. Typically, the 528 is associated with the ImageBank, while the CF was (obviously) a CF Card-based solution. There may have been some early CF-based units that were still referred to as 528 (as in CF-528), etc. Early on, Imacon referred to digital backs by megabyte count (in 16 bit terms, of course!) and later in megapixel count.

If your multi-shot back has a CF Slot in it, then o course, it is from the CF Series, regardless of the name, if it has an ImageBank hanging off it, then it is the previous generation.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

henrikfoto

« Reply #54 on: March 20, 2014, 11:49:47 am »

Hi Eric!

I just saw a CF 39 ms for sale. How is this back compared to the 22 ms?
I know it is not able to shoot 16 shots, but is it any better than the 22 in 4-shots?

Henrik

Theodoros

« Reply #55 on: March 20, 2014, 01:50:36 pm »

Hi Eric!

I just saw a CF 39 ms for sale. How is this back compared to the 22 ms?
I know it is not able to shoot 16 shots, but is it any better than the 22 in 4-shots?

Henrik
I think that Eric will verify, that both backs shot at 4x are very close with 39ms having a slight edge with subject magnitude and depending on the lens ability (the better the lens the more evident the difference but never a "big" difference)… Mind you that there is no moire chance when in 4x MS... Also, 22mp may be preferable in the rare case where a WA may be used. For paintings of up to 60x80cm size, I wouldn't care which one to prefer… 16X MS is much superior to both… and the best possible image one can get (eXact excluded - luck of experience with it) if done correctly.

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #56 on: March 21, 2014, 02:28:44 am »

Henrik,
That's a good question.  The CF39MS and CF-ii 39MS have a nicer screen!   ::)    Just kidding but the CF39MS 4 shot file is quite good, but the improvements besides resolution really were with higher ISO single shot files.   For much work the higher resolution 4 shot file is really great and a much faster workflow.  I might like the color better on the 39 as well but it's close.  For resolution the 528 in micro step is hard to beat.
Rolleiflex USA
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up