Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 26 Quotes By Photographer W Eugene Smith  (Read 2421 times)

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
26 Quotes By Photographer W Eugene Smith
« on: March 08, 2014, 02:17:43 am »

There are some great quotes here!

http://www.johnpaulcaponigro.com/blog/12979/26-quotes-by-photographer-w-eugene-smith/

Mike.

“Available light is any damn light that is available!” – W. Eugene Smith
If your mind is attuned t

Rob C

Re: 26 Quotes By Photographer W Eugene Smith
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 04:31:00 am »

There are some great quotes here!

http://www.johnpaulcaponigro.com/blog/12979/26-quotes-by-photographer-w-eugene-smith/

Mike.

“Available light is any damn light that is available!” – W. Eugene Smith

“I believe that you’ve got to love your work so much that it is all you want to do.” – Richard Avedon - See more at: http://www.johnpaulcaponigro.com/blog/category/quotes-photographers/#sthash.cZrrdIT7.dpuf

For me, this one from Avedon says it all. It's the only true reason why I abandoned every other avenue open to me by virtue of background, location and education.

I suppose that's also why I found so much offence in a thread running some months ago about amateurs being greater photography 'lovers' than professionals. Apart from the distortion of the original meaning of the word 'amateur' it seemed, to me, to fly in the face of the evidence of the reality. I don't think that even a single photographic legend has passed through that career without a lot of personal cost and loss of other things. How much more pain, then, for the professional who never even attains those heady heights of success?  No, I'm not reopening that thread!

Rob C

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 02:15:50 am »

Hi Rob: Can't professionals be amateurs? As professional is someone who gets paid for what s/he does. An amateur is someone who does what s/he does for the love of it. It seems to me that the confluence brings the best of both worlds.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Rob C

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 05:53:03 am »

Hi Rob: Can't professionals be amateurs? As professional is someone who gets paid for what s/he does. An amateur is someone who does what s/he does for the love of it. It seems to me that the confluence brings the best of both worlds.

Mike.

Absolutely, and that's why it annoyed me so much to be told that accepting money somehow sullied the soul, weakend the love!

;-)

Rob C

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 09:27:16 am »

Absolutely, and that's why it annoyed me so much to be told that accepting money somehow sullied the soul, weakend the love!

;-)

Rob C

You BET!! I am an artist. I have dedicated my life to making things, love it with all my being. Being able to make a living as such, is the bonus.

Peter

PS.  Read "being able to making a living" as swallowing a lot blood and proud to survive.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 09:31:50 am by petermfiore »

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2014, 10:48:03 am »

Mike.

I think Elliott Erwitt is a living example of this. He'd haul truckloads of equipment on jobs, like the kitchen job in Moscow where he grabbed Kruschiev and Nixon's finger, but when the working day was over he'd grab his beat-up Leica and do street. On the job he was a pro, making money, but when he'd pick up that Leica he was an amateur still doing what he loved. Now Rob's in a position where he can do the amateur thing full-time. Making money has nothing to do with the love and excitement that goes into it. There are grubby pros in any field who are there only because they can make some money at it. I've seen plenty of them in software engineering and programming. But the guys who were good at software engineering were good because they loved it. It's the same in photography.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Rob C

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2014, 12:12:52 pm »

I think Elliott Erwitt is a living example of this. He'd haul truckloads of equipment on jobs, like the kitchen job in Moscow where he grabbed Kruschiev and Nixon's finger, but when the working day was over he'd grab his beat-up Leica and do street. On the job he was a pro, making money, but when he'd pick up that Leica he was an amateur still doing what he loved. Now Rob's in a position where he can do the amateur thing full-time. Making money has nothing to do with the love and excitement that goes into it. There are grubby pros in any field who are there only because they can make some money at it. I've seen plenty of them in software engineering and programming. But the guys who were good at software engineering were good because they loved it. It's the same in photography.

This is so, but the problem is that it places me squarely into that dreaded 'Donovan Syndrome'! I feel the need, but the aim is usually just a little out of focus.

;-)

Rob C
Pages: [1]   Go Up