Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: resolving Epson head clog permanently  (Read 11886 times)

alifatemi

• ali fatemi photography
resolving Epson head clog permanently
« on: March 07, 2014, 05:36:42 pm »

How to Permanently Resolve Print Head Clog, Nozzle Clog & Banding on Epson Stylus Pro 9900 Printer at last:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bf6kOEtgQqE&app=desktop

dannybirchwood

Re: resolving Epson head clog permanently
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 05:57:22 pm »

I can totally understand doing that !!!!
Dan Garland - Fine Art Printing

Rand47

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 06:08:04 pm »

I absolutely love "Jeff's" demeanor during his head-clog tutorial.   ;D
Rand Scott Adams

Kevin Gallagher

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2014, 07:09:16 am »

Great video, too bad he didn't say what the "repaired" printer was replaced by.
Kevin In CT
All Animals Are Equal But Some Are More Equal
 George Orwell

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2014, 09:07:36 am »

Thank you for that link.

My guess is that he halfway stopped reading the thread > Epson 7900 from the inside - out <  and decided that a head to head approach would waste less time for everyone and deliver the same result.

--
Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
January 2014, 600+ inkjet media white spectral plots.

JeffW

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2014, 09:43:55 am »

He should've ripped out its still beating heart and sent it back to Epson. Make non cutsomer support to at least acknowledge that, yes there are problems out here.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2014, 09:48:25 am »

Funny but ultimately kind of a waste of 5 minutes. I was really hoping he had a useful tip. His delivery was excellent!

My 4900 was absolutely driving me nuts with clogs. I found keeping the machine running all the time (no power off) and printing a small target twice a week solved that problem. Not sure if the 9900 is a totally different beast but I'm at this point not ready to take a sledge hammer to the 4900.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2014, 11:09:29 am »

Helped me to appreciate the comparative minimal cost for once in about 5 years HP belt replacements.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 11:16:00 am by Justan »

AFairley

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2014, 01:00:38 pm »

;D

Some Guy

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2014, 02:55:20 pm »

;D ;D ;D

I doubt if I'd ever buy some Epson that needed annual $1,800 printheads.  The 3880 is enough, and yes mine clogs at times.  I'd move to Canon for anything over 17" since I can change the heads in those myself.

I've often wondered if it is the Epson ink at times?

Hope Epson has seen this video too!

SG

Peter McLennan

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2014, 10:35:19 pm »

Hilarious video, well thought out and superbly presented.  Even though you knew what was going to happen, you just had to keep watching.

Eric Gulbransen

• never surrender
    • MYX900.com
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2014, 10:42:40 pm »

...My guess is that he halfway stopped reading the thread > Epson 7900 from the inside - out <  and decided that a head to head approach would waste less time for everyone and deliver the same result...

meanie!

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2014, 06:51:46 am »

I am much more interested in what led up to this. The printer history,not his state of mind.

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2014, 07:48:54 am »

meanie!

Eric,

Up to approximately page 20 of that 74 pages thread I contributed my wisdom on the subject. Including the emphasis on the horrible wiper construction which led to IMHO the best part of that thread for practice; the wiper replacement got attention and you gave the instructions for that replacement. At page 9 however I wrote this:  "I fear that Eric's brave adventure and the life report may enter another mood when the end of this thread comes closer", not expecting another 65 pages for that to happen. Sure, an entertaining story with tenacious bravery and good humor all the way. You know a lot more about Epson head technology now but it did not do more than what the entertaining sledgehammer video does for DIY repairs. This video may have more impact on Epson's service policies I hope; short story, acted well and with a bang at the end. The DIY attempts to solve flawed Epson technology have no future, that at least is the outcome of your adventure and that is also an achievement.

I am much more interested in what led up to this. The printer history,not his state of mind.

Do you expect a unique story that sets it apart from the other printer misery reports in this list? The man must have made the calculations and the sum was negative. The video and the man show enough restrained behavior that this is not done on an impulse and I doubt that he regrets this act for one minute. Both he and Eric are heroes in my opinion. Different ones though and the video man had it easier; he could build on Eric's research.

--

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
January 2014, 600+ inkjet media white spectral plots.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2014, 08:29:25 am »

I can appreciate the thoughts, but would dare not go that far.

My 9900 at just over 2 years old still throws me curve balls.  Just the other day, here is a typical situation.

Printer is left on BTW unless bad weather is inclement.

Had to make 3 30 x 40 prints. 
Ran a nozzle check, all colors showed 100%
Made 1st print, all fine.
Made 2nd print, obviously something was wrong with the sky.
Ran a nozzle check, results all Cyan gone, just gone except mabye 3 bars.  (Now explain this as it tend to happen once a month and during a print process)
Throw away large piece of 36" Canson Platine
Switch to Maintenance Mode
Run CL2 on Cyan/Magenta
Ran a nozzle check, almost all cyan recovered, but still showing a few deflected nozzles and now PK is showing deflections
Run a CL1 on Cyna/Magenta
Run a CL! on Pk.LK
Ran a nozzle check, all colors are back
Power off, and come back up and normal mode
Finish job

To me is not acceptable and pretty much points to a major fault in the ink delivery system of the 9900. 

This same pattern happens, with yellow and sometimes LK, with always after one or two good prints. 
I still get PK black fallout after a Matt to PK switch, even after the required nozzle check is run by the printer.  Again never happens after the first print, but instead after 1 or 2 prints.

Can't really call for a tech even though I am under last year of extended warranty as you can't recreate the problem. 

If I could afford a switch, I guess I would move to Canon, I am just tired of this type of problem. 

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

alifatemi

• ali fatemi photography
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2014, 10:30:38 am »

Paul, I am also thinking switching  to Canon, my friends too but what is the situation over there? Are the Canon owners happy or having deferent sort of problem of other kinds?

alifatemi

• ali fatemi photography
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2014, 10:37:01 am »

To my wonder, if you have problem with say, Phase One and mention it here, it takes less than an hour someone from them reply and ready to help either from PhaseOne dealers or the company but there are millions of thread hear complaining about Epson, to my knowledge, never, neither from Epson nor any dealer/distributor has been here to help or reply, as if they know very well that there is no help; it is as it is!

Some Guy

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2014, 12:48:02 pm »

To my wonder, if you have problem with say, Phase One and mention it here, it takes less than an hour someone from them reply and ready to help either from PhaseOne dealers or the company but there are millions of thread hear complaining about Epson, to my knowledge, never, neither from Epson nor any dealer/distributor has been here to help or reply, as if they know very well that there is no help; it is as it is!

Does make one wonder about Epson.  The internet era sure can present faulty customer service these days and problems with their products.  For Epson to say "No problems" to the guy in the video is questionable at best if Epson ever bothered to look on the web.

I know when I had an old Canon printer die and called Canon support it was far better and they did return calls and emails.  Turned out the unit was old, no longer made, and toast, but they did offer me a newer model at wholesale cost on some VIP program they had.  Can't imagine Epson doing that, or HP either.

Too bad there isn't as many aftermarket ink carts, etc. available for Canon over Epson.  Inks too.  I've have two local Canon sales offices and they pretty much say the same thing.  No local Epson printer sales office here.  Maybe a smart businessman wouldn't want to be in Epson sales either.

SG

Eric Gulbransen

• never surrender
    • MYX900.com
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2014, 12:53:06 pm »

All in good fun Ernst.  I have the utmost confidence you know my sense or humor by now.  I am actually a fan of yours.  By the way the most compelling thing that came out of that journey, to me, occurred on the very last day of it - we confirmed a terminal clog is not a clog at all.  Back when you were contributing to the effort with your knowledge and advice, this is one of the things you hit on - a clogged nozzle could be a dead nozzle, an overheated nozzle, failed piezoelectrics.  It took too long to get there but we did finally confirm exactly that.  Good fun.

On the topic of the sledge hammer video, I bow down in admiration.  Personally I have imagined, repeatedly, pushing one off a cliff but that's because I live near the California coast.  I agree, when you lose a head on a 4900 the machine is garbage.  On a 7900 the machine is garbage.  But on a 9900, if you do it yourself, could make sense fixing it.  All depends on your courage and will to continue your faith in Epson. 

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2014, 04:45:32 pm »

Eric

Wouldn't the head replacement be the same process between a 7900 and 9900? 

Paul C

Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up