Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Adding a graduated background after a shot........?  (Read 3456 times)

Dinarius

Adding a graduated background after a shot........?
« on: March 07, 2014, 06:27:13 am »

I photographed cloaks against a white backdrop for a client.

The cloaks were displayed on a life-sized, T-shaped stand so that the arms of the cloaks stretch out horizontally on each side.

In order to prevent the arms extending beyond the edges of the 9 foot seamless background paper, the stand had to be stood reasonably close to the paper background.

Combined with shooting in a room that had a low ceiling, this limited my lighting choices.

The client was perfectly happy with what was appearing on the screen on the day.

Now, to match much small clothing shot on another occasion, they would like some sort of graduated background added so that the seamless paper is darkened.

How best might I do this?

Many thanks.

D.

howardm

Re: Adding a graduated background after a shot........?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 07:06:47 am »

maybe just select the cloak, invert the selection to get just the bkgnd, throw it on its own layer and apply a gradient via the gradient tool to that layer.

Dinarius

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 04:29:36 am »

Hi Howard,

Very belatedly, thanks for suggesting what looks like the solution to my problem.  ;)

A couple of questions....

1. Which is the best tool to make the initial selection of the cloak?

2. I've tried the Quick Selection Tool. If you think it's the best one, can I drag back a selection that pops out too far? In this case, out over the white background paper.

3. Any tips for making the background gradient feel more "natural", more like it was created at the time?

Thanks again.

D.

graeme

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 04:42:47 am »

Select the cloak with the quick selection tool - make layer mask - paint with black or white & use the masks palette's ' mask edge' controls to refine the mask.

Add the graduated backdrop as a separate layer - maybe gently dodge / burn areas of it to make it look less like a PS gradient.

Rand47

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 07:45:40 am »

Also, sometimes giving the gradient layer a very minor blurr can help. 

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2014, 12:32:53 pm »

For fancy effects, several gradient layers can be stacked up, using different color schemes at different angles.  Adjust the transparency of each layer to control the final mix.  The lowest gradient layer should ordinarily be fully opaque, but sometimes letting some of the original background show through is useful.  You can add painted, slightly blurred masks to individual gradation layers so sort of dapple the light.  You can also assign clipped Curves and Hue/Saturation control layers to each gradient layer, but you quickly reach a point where you lose control of the final effect.

Plenty of youtube videos about making selections.  The Quick Selection Tool with Refine Mask are very powerful tools.  When you are using the Quick Selection tool the "Alt" and "Shift" keys toggle between subtracting and adding bits of the selection, and the "Width" and "New Selection" buttons at screen upper left is useful too.  I would guess your particular job might take no more than a couple minutes, once you know the scheme.

There are third party selection tools available with (perhaps) more capability, but I don't think you would need them for your situation.

Dinarius

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2014, 04:48:29 am »

Thanks again for the replies.

Is it possible to 'soften' the Quick Selection Tool selection so that it looks less like a cutout?

Thanks.

D.

graeme

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2014, 05:42:13 am »

Thanks again for the replies.

Is it possible to 'soften' the Quick Selection Tool selection so that it looks less like a cutout?

Thanks.

D.

Refine Edge - Feather. Or perhaps more flexible: Save the selection as a layer mask & use the Mask Edge controls to feather the edges ( Masks palette ).

Some Guy

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2014, 09:09:55 am »

Might pay to watch these masking webinars by onOne.  First cover backgrounds and making them join with the foreground image in size, contrast, and color.  I believe they have a 30 day free trial of the software too which can run independently of Photoshop too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DZYP-m7vKc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeL_GpwyOug

SG
Pages: [1]   Go Up