Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: F stop on Nikon G lenses with Sony A7?  (Read 3124 times)

Herbc

F stop on Nikon G lenses with Sony A7?
« on: March 05, 2014, 10:25:14 am »

May be a stupid question, but: we are to assume the fstop achieved when shooting say a Nikon 14-24 on a Metabones
adapter with the Sony A7 will be wide open, i.e. f2.8?
With a bit of fiddling, I could not see how the camera would do anything else.
This would place a major limitation on using Nikon Lenses with the Sony.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Re: F stop on Nikon G lenses with Sony A7?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 10:58:19 am »

May be a stupid question, but: we are to assume the fstop achieved when shooting say a Nikon 14-24 on a Metabones
adapter with the Sony A7 will be wide open, i.e. f2.8?
With a bit of fiddling, I could not see how the camera would do anything else.
This would place a major limitation on using Nikon Lenses with the Sony.

I have never used one, but it's my understanding that both the Metabones and Novoflex adapters allow for manual aperture adjustments with the Nikon G lenses.  Metabones has the aperture adjustments on a ring.  You are supposed to set the metabones to the 8 setting  before you mount the Nikon lens.

I agree if all you get is F2.8, then it's not worth to much.  However there have been plenty of reports of folks using G lenses on the A7r and A7 so there must be a way to get it to work.  The newer adapters shipping are now clickless when changing aperture, this is for video use.

Paul C.
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Herbc

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 11:10:52 am »

Thanks Paul.  It appears I had the wrong adapter for Nikon.  Mine doesn't have fstops on it.  Live and learn.

Telecaster

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 03:25:10 pm »

Yes, there's a version of the Novoflex F-to-Sony-E adapter that allows (stepless) aperture control with G series Nikon lenses. Allows you to use older lenses with aperture rings too.

-Dave-

Rob C

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2014, 05:29:17 pm »

Yes, there's a version of the Novoflex F-to-Sony-E adapter that allows (stepless) aperture control with G series Nikon lenses. Allows you to use older lenses with aperture rings too.

-Dave-

I imagine that still excludes any means of using a G on a non-digital Nikon body such as the F3, since there aren't any electrical connections in the mount that I know of or have seen on that, though I can't be sure about the F4 which was the only one in the newer 'computer' series bodies that I ever bought.

I guess the introduction of the G is a declaration that the remaining film body, the F6, is dead, too, unless it comes with electrical connections in the mount which, as I say, I don't know.

As an aside: it would be nice if Nikon had made a pentaprism for the F3 that included a diopter adjustment wheel; I've long past the use of the last correction lens I bought, and without it, my F3 is pretty much lost to me now. But wait: the F4 pentaprism would probably fit it, and that had a diopter wheel! I can see another waste of money looming on my horizon with that thought!

Rob C
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 05:32:52 pm by Rob C »

Telecaster

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2014, 06:13:59 pm »

I imagine that still excludes any means of using a G on a non-digital Nikon body such as the F3, since there aren't any electrical connections in the mount that I know of or have seen on that...

That would be correct...unless, I guess, you did major surgery on the lens(es).

I guess the introduction of the G is a declaration that the remaining film body, the F6, is dead, too, unless it comes with electrical connections in the mount which, as I say, I don't know.

Hmm, I suspect the F6 can use G lenses though I don't actually know. Maybe the F100 too. ??

As an aside: it would be nice if Nikon had made a pentaprism for the F3 that included a diopter adjustment wheel; I've long past the use of the last correction lens I bought, and without it, my F3 is pretty much lost to me now. But wait: the F4 pentaprism would probably fit it, and that had a diopter wheel! I can see another waste of money looming on my horizon with that thought!

I was concerned about this when I bought my dad an F3 outfit c. 2000 after he started having trouble focusing with his rangefinders (he was beginning to suffer from a kind of macular degeneration), but one of the correction lenses did the job just fine. I'll always remember the way his face lit up when he saw he'd be able to focus properly again.   :)

-Dave-
Pages: [1]   Go Up