Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 9800, Epson 9900, Canon 8400, current thinking?  (Read 8141 times)

Keithw1975

Re: Epson 9800, Epson 9900, Canon 8400, current thinking?
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2014, 11:30:36 pm »

My company was using a 7600 and a 9600, and we had regular problems with ink clogs. Sometimes right in the middle of large prints. Last year though we sold them and bought two Epson 9900s and so far we are really happy with them, but we got 3 years warrantys on them just in case. So fare the nozzles haven't had any clogs, except right after black change, and they are fast and quiet.

I had strongly considered going with Canon, but the fact that it couldn't run heavy media, with it's curved paper path, killed it for me.

I found a supplier on eBay who sells me genuine Epson 350ml cartridges for only $100 a piece.

Travis Wallace

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2014, 02:16:33 am »

I found a supplier on eBay who sells me genuine Epson 350ml cartridges for only $100 a piece.

Link please, I just ordered the 9890 and going to need some soon after the starter packs charge the system.

Royal Editions

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2014, 09:51:50 am »

As a former LexJet person, I provided technical assistance for every brand of printer.  I'll give you my opinion and you can form your own based on the advice you get.

-For fine-art printing, get the word HP out of your head.  The quality is nowhere near what Epson and Canons can produce and their drivers are clunky and outdated.  Just a hassle.  HP has stated to me multiple times that they have no interest continuing in the aqueous market, their focus is on the Latex, as well it should be (the latex printers are awesome.)

-Epsons are great printers. For the most part, they stand up.  There are people who have issues with them, and if they're older than 1 year, it's pretty much a $5000 paper weight if something does go wrong.  Your ink-cost UPFRONT will be less expensive, but bear in mind the Epson printers only have 1 head that clogs often.  You'll burn through ink during black ink switches and clogs WAY more than any other brand, they also have smaller maint. tanks, causing you to purchase them more often.  With all of that being said, their quality and DOT control is ALMOST unmatchable.  They credit this to the Peizo printhead because they can control the amount of current that forces the ink out of the nozzle.  Although, as far as noticeable quality differences go, there aren't many.

-Canons.  Well, when I left LJ to do my own thing..I bought a Canon, an 8400 and I couldn't be happier.  A lot of the problems (aside from hardware errors) people run into were generally user error, the quality is just as good (if not better in pantone matching) than Epson and the price...oh the price.  The Canon comes with over $2000 worth of ink, and yes, the cartridges are more expensive upfront, but take into account you wont be cleaning it as often (compared to epson) and no ink waste when switching blacks (or time waste) and the cost of ownership over the life of the printer averages out to be comparable with the Epsons.  Also, Canon has much better warranty support than Epson does.  I've had customers get out-of-warranty parts replaced by Canon at no charge on a regular basis.

Just my opinions from the inside.  I've worked extensively with all brands.

Name is Ryan King, I was the Midwest Regional Sales Manager in the Digital Photography dept there.  I may know some of you!

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2014, 09:58:47 am »

-For fine-art printing, get the word HP out of your head.  The quality is nowhere near what Epson and Canons can produce and their drivers are clunky and outdated.  Just a hassle.

An opinion and not my experience.

--
Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
January 2014, 600+ inkjet media white spectral plots.

Royal Editions

« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2014, 10:11:04 am »

Yes!  Just my opinion.  I did have a couple people who loved their HP's, and they are WORK HORSES, they will just go and go.  Thats one of the reasons HP hasn't updated them.  They were forced to discontinue their 5000/5500 line because they weren't selling printers (they never died).

Rob Reiter

• The LightRoom
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2014, 12:17:37 pm »

Gotta say this comment mirrors my experience almost exactly. Truly happy to have made the switch to Canon, first, the 8100 six years ago and then the 8300 and now the 8400. And double the sentiments on Canon technical support. Best in the business!

As a former LexJet person, I provided technical assistance for every brand of printer.  I'll give you my opinion and you can form your own based on the advice you get.

-For fine-art printing, get the word HP out of your head.  The quality is nowhere near what Epson and Canons can produce and their drivers are clunky and outdated.  Just a hassle.  HP has stated to me multiple times that they have no interest continuing in the aqueous market, their focus is on the Latex, as well it should be (the latex printers are awesome.)

-Epsons are great printers. For the most part, they stand up.  There are people who have issues with them, and if they're older than 1 year, it's pretty much a $5000 paper weight if something does go wrong.  Your ink-cost UPFRONT will be less expensive, but bear in mind the Epson printers only have 1 head that clogs often.  You'll burn through ink during black ink switches and clogs WAY more than any other brand, they also have smaller maint. tanks, causing you to purchase them more often.  With all of that being said, their quality and DOT control is ALMOST unmatchable.  They credit this to the Peizo printhead because they can control the amount of current that forces the ink out of the nozzle.  Although, as far as noticeable quality differences go, there aren't many.

-Canons.  Well, when I left LJ to do my own thing..I bought a Canon, an 8400 and I couldn't be happier.  A lot of the problems (aside from hardware errors) people run into were generally user error, the quality is just as good (if not better in pantone matching) than Epson and the price...oh the price.  The Canon comes with over $2000 worth of ink, and yes, the cartridges are more expensive upfront, but take into account you wont be cleaning it as often (compared to epson) and no ink waste when switching blacks (or time waste) and the cost of ownership over the life of the printer averages out to be comparable with the Epsons.  Also, Canon has much better warranty support than Epson does.  I've had customers get out-of-warranty parts replaced by Canon at no charge on a regular basis.

Just my opinions from the inside.  I've worked extensively with all brands.

Name is Ryan King, I was the Midwest Regional Sales Manager in the Digital Photography dept there.  I may know some of you!
http://www.lightroom.com Fine art printi

shadowblade

« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2014, 12:32:02 pm »

Unfortunately, if you want to use high-end third-party inks (Piezography, MIS, AIS, dye-sub inks for metal prints, etc.) you're pretty much limited to Epson - none of those inks work in thermal heads.

Hopefully, the rise in inkjet technology for all sorts of uses will have Chinese manufacturers producing piezo printers of all shapes, sizes and number of inks over the next few years. Like most other Chinese products, no doubt you'd be able to put just about anything in them and they'd still print properly - aqueous, solvent, UV-curable, electrically-conductive or stem cells. It's not exactly cutting-edge technology, and it's about time Epson got some competition!

Damir

« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2014, 06:08:29 pm »

You sell, we use the printers - quality I got from my Z is much better than Canon, and Epson, especially on matt paper. On some glossy photo paper I prefer Epson as HP shows slight gloss diferential - that by the way most of consumers do not see.

I even use HP to do profiles for Epson  ;)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up