Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SD card unusual behavior in Macbook Pro  (Read 888 times)

Eric Brody

• http://www.ericbrodyphoto.com
SD card unusual behavior in Macbook Pro
« on: March 04, 2014, 07:38:41 pm »

I recently returned from a trip on which I took my D800E and Sony RX100. After a day of shooting, during which I did review of my files (chimped), I put the D800E SD card into the reader slot of the Macbook Pro and it popped up as "My Book" and the card was BLANK! I know there were images on the card. I've used that card (a Sandisk 32GB Extreme Pro) for some time and have used the same computer to download when traveling for over a year. Fortunately I set the D800E up to record simultaneously to both cards so took out the CF card, hooked up my old USB2 card reader and successfully downloaded the images. After backing up the images to two external hard drives, I formatted the card, did some test images, inserted it and it seemed fine (?).

A similar thing happened with a different card with the Sony RX100. I plugged the card into the card reader, being a bit cautious about the SD slot on the computer, and the same thing happened, "My Book" popped up, and the card appeared to be blank, different card, (a Sandisk 32GB Ultra) different computer input. I also know there were images on that card. I saved that card separately to take to my local emporium to see if their recovery software can recover the images since the Sony has no backup.

This appears to be the most frustrating of problems, an intermittent one. If anyone has had a similar experience or has any thoughts or suggestions, I'd be most appreciative.

Eric

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: SD card unusual behavior in Macbook Pro
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 07:45:52 pm »

Scary. Do you have SanDisk Rescue Pro on your computer? If so did you try running the card through that? The clue to the problem - but I don't know what the problem may be - is in the phenomenon of "My Book" showing up. The fact this happening with different cards of the same technical vintage used in different cameras and accessed via different routes in the computer leads one to suspect a problem with that card model. Do you have the same issues with any other types/sizes of cards?

To answer your question, I have not used that vintage of card nor had such a problem so I can't report any directly helpful experience.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."
Pages: [1]   Go Up