Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best time for wildflowers in NC  (Read 2927 times)

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
Best time for wildflowers in NC
« on: March 03, 2014, 07:21:11 pm »

What would be the best time to catch blooming wildflowers in northern NC, on both sides of I77 - around Blue Ridge Parkway and #52 Road?

PhotoEcosse

Re: Best time for wildflowers in NC
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 06:02:58 am »

I am not sure of the geography in relation to your road numbers, but I did see some quite spectacular wild flower meadows in the vicinity of Ashville in early-mid April a few years ago. Which surprised me as it was still quite cold at that altitude.

(However, can't comment upon whether that would be the "best time" as I was only driving through en route from Charleston (SC) to Nashville (TN) and did not stay long in Ashville.)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 06:05:05 am by PhotoEcosse »
"Reality is an illusion caused by lack of alcohol."
Alternatively, "Life begins at the far end of your comfort zone."

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 09:31:08 am »

Thank you!
Three years ago, when I drove in early April through the northern part of NC where the Blue Ridge Parkway intersects I77, there were only a few early small flowers beside the road. Asheville is further south and it has a milder climate than the northern end of the state, but it's interesting that the difference in blooming time between the southern and northern parts of NC could be 3-4 weeks.

Hayhill

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2014, 01:55:36 pm »

I live in Asheville and have been photographing wildflowers off and on for 30 years. I don't think that there is a "best time", primarily because of the elevation variations. In Asheville, elevation about 2300 ft, we get our early bloomers in mid March, whereas 30 miles (by car) at the top of Mt. Mitchell (elevation 6684 ft, highest in eastern US) it is still dead winter. The 2 most popular photography/tourist sites are the rhododendron "shows" at Roan Mountain (highway 143 at the TN state line) and Craggy Gardens (Blue Ridge Parkway near Mt. Mitchell) which usually peak the second or third week in June. Any time between those dates will depend on the elevation and weather (which can be quite variable). My suggestion would to be to visit western North Carolina anytime from April to late October and you will find plenty to photograph.

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 08:34:24 am »

Thank you, Woody!
That's good to know that one can find there such a variety of flowers from early spring till late fall.
Asheville is a very nice town surrounded by many beautiful sites. Since I usually pass there in spring or fall, I'll steer away from Mt. Mitchell.
Pages: [1]   Go Up