Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need advice to photograph museum collected coins, jadewares,potteries  (Read 2160 times)

jimmy shen

I have always found so many inspiratios from this great site, thank u very much.

I’m stationed in Hangzhou, China, in case u visit my city, pls drop in and have a coffee, or the famous local Longjin tea my family grow.

I am to work for a museum, which has a large collection of unearthed ancient coins, jadewares, potteries, I have just started my pro biz. I am wondering if someone could kindly offer some advice regarding strobes settings/layout, equipments, etc.

Thank a lot in advance.

Jimmy shen
0086-13388607204
jimmyshen123456@gmail.com
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 07:45:45 pm by jimmy shen »

tim wolcott

• http://www.galleryoftheamericanlandscape.com
Re: Need advice to photograph museum collected coins, jadewares,potteries
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 11:39:41 pm »

Jimmy, you are asking for a lot.  Its not a simple answer.  First you have to ask what are they going to do with the images.  Books, posters, reproduce art with them.  This first, has to be decided.  Then create a system to address all the options then you can create a template to make this work.  this what I designed for the Smithsonian.  But considering you have pottery and jade wares they would have to be set up differently.  The main thing is to set it up once then be able to move the pieces in without having to think about the set up.  This will get very tedious if you don't do it right.  Think of it this way.  These are national treasures and shouldn't be handle more than once.  Camera tripod should be locked down and a stationary system set up so the focus and positioning of the items are exact.  Its a shame I wasn't there it would be fun to set this up.  

There is so much more but its easier to do it, then to write about it. 

Tim
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 11:42:44 pm by tim wolcott »

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 10:12:34 am »

I am to work for a museum, which has a large collection of unearthed ancient coins, jadewares, potteries, I have just started my pro biz. I am wondering if someone could kindly offer some advice regarding strobes settings/layout, equipments, etc.

Hi Jimmy,

Best advice for such a broad ranging question.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

jimmy shen

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 08:49:12 pm »

@Tim,
thanks a lot for your generous help.  How nice to lend some of your great experience.

They are mainly for files and books, it seems that I will set lights/strobes very defused, in order to avoid shadows, and use perspective control lens, ....

BTW, I checked ur website, and wow, wonderful, like Chinese painting, I’d like to return there later to enjoy, at this moment just headache with the museum.

@Bart,
Thanks, Bart, sure, I will read the book u kindly recommend.

Jimmy
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 08:53:54 pm by jimmy shen »

tim wolcott

• http://www.galleryoftheamericanlandscape.com
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 11:39:58 pm »

Jimmy if you want you could call me if you need some help.  Just remember the time difference.  Tim 9517411674 or Skype works my address is tdwolcott

jimmy shen

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2014, 04:13:04 am »

Tim,
thanks a lot, Tim, you work late at night, really, maybe I will call u later, my morning is your evening, I know.

thanks again, and thanks to LL.

Jimmy
Pages: [1]   Go Up